Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best driving road.

• 18-04-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

So I just watched this video:

and I got thinking, what's the best road you've ever driven? Anywhere in the world, doesn't have to be Ireland.

For me, it was probably last Summer when I drove through Yosemite national park in a 3.5 litre V6 dodge charger, (i know, not a sports car by most peoples standards!) drove through it at Dusk and into the night, it was both the most exciting and terrifying drive ever.

And over the next few days after that the driving was simply amazing. So share your stories!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Has to be the Gorges du Verdon north of Nice in the southern French Alps.(Think famous car chase in Ronin).. Miles and miles of sheer cliff drops and stunning landscape. Great fun, even in a Landcruiser! Personally will never forget it.
    A5 from Telford to Betws Y Coed in Wales has a few cracking stretches too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Amalfi Coast Italy

Great Ocean Road in Oz

Garden Route in SA

Were all brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Hammertime wrote: »
    Amalfi Coast Italy
    Fantastic road, slightly ruined for me by travelling it in a diesel corsa :(

Heading up to Moll's Gap at night is class, but punishing on a car. More of a "sprint" than a "drive" I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The Forgotten World Highway on the North Island of New Zealand in a 6 Berth Campervan :D

Or Down Route One in California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Pacific Coast Highway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

langdang wrote: »
    Fantastic road, slightly ruined for me by travelling it in a diesel corsa :(

Heading up to Moll's Gap at night is class, but punishing on a car. More of a "sprint" than a "drive" I suppose.

Was just going to say Molls Gap, I did kinda drive it:o. Was in a Volkswagen four motion tdi Transporter doing about 25 kmh per hour average :cool:.

Done support driver for a charity cycle of malin to mizen head with friends, but drove through there on a sunny day was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

A87 in Scotland from Fort Augustus to Kyle of Lochalsh passing Glengarry and Eileann Donan castle (where Highlander was filmed) on a Bike in summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Some of my favourites....none driven in my ideal car though:(

Route 1/101 - Hummer H3 and Cadillac Escallade

The coast road from Monte carlo to Saint-Tropez - Citroen C4

Numerous sections of Route 66 - various vehicles

Turin to Geneva, mont blanc tunnel(staying off the Autostrada) - Peugeot 407

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

N24 Limerick to Clonmel :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Coronado Trail in Arizona. Did it three times on a motorbike. 400 bends in the first 30 miles.... :eek:

Antrim Coast Road.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Antrim Coast Road.
    yeah that is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

County clare :D

clalid1764.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Never driven in a foreign country so ill have to stick with sally gap and military road. The view just takes my breath away every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

+1 for the military road, it's just breathtaking.
    once drove through a very thick forest in Slovakia, it was so dense and rich that the branches of trees on the sides literally met above the road and you couldn't even see the sky for them. that was a fantastic experience because you don't get forests this big and rich in Ireland. then a journey through Burren, the landscape is incredible. and Sierra Madre de Oaxaca, with a Mexican driver who loved showing us his skills of driving while eating/chatting on the phone/wildly gesturing at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

+1 on roads around betws y coed. I'm quite partial to the cat and fiddle run too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    +1 on roads around betws y coed. I'm quite partial to the cat and fiddle run too.

Another +1 for this one.

The blessington to baltinglass is quite a road as well if you get a clear run at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Cedrus wrote: »
    A87 in Scotland from Fort Augustus to Kyle of Lochalsh passing Glengarry and Eileann Donan castle (where Highlander was filmed) on a Bike in summer.

That would get my vote as well. Closely followed by the Antrim coast road and the road between Oban and Fort William through the Glencoe pass(I forget the road number). North West Scotland is a wonderful place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

My Mentions would be
    1. The Ouninpohja stage in Rally Finland gets a mention for me. It's just sweeping bend into jump into sweeping bend into jump.....
    2. Col de Turini in the middle of winter, with six of us piled into a hired people carrier and knocking across Audi doing demo runs in the SWB Quattro
    3. Healy Pass (both ways) on a clear quiet weekday morning.
    4. Simplon Pass. Stunning views and a nice decent down the Italian side.

Fiona wrote: »
    Never driven in a foreign country so ill have to stick with sally gap and military road. The view just takes my breath away every time.

One of the best stretches of road in this country (IMO) is the road between Laragh and Rathdrum in Wicklow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I loved Stelvio Pass, and the whole of Switzerland is amazing really. Even the motorways have stunning views and are a bit of fun to drive.

I drove Healy Pass last week, I enjoyed that too :D

• Advertisement

I've been lucky enough to have travelled most of the irish roads mentioned, often in a convoy of MINIs, good craic!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    One of the best stretches of road in this country (IMO) is the road between Laragh and Rathdrum in Wicklow.

Anywhere in Wicklow is nice for a spin! We should organise a Wicklow drive some Sunday.

Anywhere in Wicklow is nice for a spin! We should organise a Wicklow drive some Sunday.

I'll run with that!

Meet in the Spawell, up over the gap, down in to Laragh, lunch there then Laragh to Rathdrum, drop down to Rathnew and back home via N11 / M50. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 willier

In Ireland, I'd have to say the North Coast Road from Ballina to Belmullet and back via the main road through Crossmolina. Great stretch of road.
    Drove the Healy Pass and Molls Gap in my Manta a few years ago and that was epic.
    Conor Pass is good too. It's a great stretch of road to test the brakes of a car! ;-)

The St. Bernard Pass from Italy into Switzerland was brilliant too. Stunning scenery.
    Any alpine road in Europe is going to be enjoyable imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The Antrim Coast road (especially the Torr Rd) is one of the best. Having drove around Ireland twice now with All The Way Round it still stands out as one of the best. This year we're hoping to take in a few more though.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I'll run with that!

Meet in the Spawell, up over the gap, down in to Laragh, lunch there then Laragh to Rathdrum, drop down to Rathnew and back home via N11 / M50. ;)

Convoy! Yeah Spawell is a dead handy meeting point. Ill send ya a mail about this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

yes I drove through the wicklow mts national park yesterday and sally gap...first time ever

Amazing
    Bit bumpy on certain stretches but the views were spectacular and the sun was shining...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

another vote for healy pass, amazing stretch of road and it helps that the road is generally very quiet and that you have great visibility in case another car is oncoming, and good views!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Kotor to Cetinje in Montenegro. Terrifying, but breathtaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Kotor to Cetinje in Montenegro. Terrifying, but breathtaking.

Beautiful part of the world that. I went along similar roads, was on a bus though:(. Amazing scenery all the same.

Advertisement