Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a minimum amount of forgein currency that can be exchanged for Euro in banks

Options
  • 18-04-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I have some forgein currencies lying arund that I'd like to exchange for Euro's at a bank. Some of the currencies I'd only have maybe less than 5euro equivalent, some more.

is there a minimum that a bank will deal with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

No coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    No coins.

So there is no way of getting rid of them other than going back to the country of origin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Some banks may take sterling pound coins but that's it. Other currency coins will not be taken.

Is there any company in ireland that will, like cash4coins.co.uk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Unab24

€1070 worth if non customer in a common currency such as sterling but if it is a rare currency it has to be lodged into an account or sent away to the cash centre and lodged from there.

the reason being that the bank cannot determine if the currencies are fake or not. and if you were a customer of the bank you would have to put it through your account for anything over €1070 due to money laundering.

• Advertisement

Unab24 wrote: »
    €1070 worth if non customer in a common currency such as sterling but if it is a rare currency it has to be lodged into an account or sent away to the cash centre and lodged from there.

the reason being that the bank cannot determine if the currencies are fake or not. and if you were a customer of the bank you would have to put it through your account for anything over €1070 due to money laundering.

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

gline wrote: »
    I have some forgein currencies lying arund that I'd like to exchange for Euro's at a bank. Some of the currencies I'd only have maybe less than 5euro equivalent, some more.

is there a minimum that a bank will deal with?

That's why duty-free shops all sell AA batteries, that's how you get rid of small amounts of foreign currency. Bringing it home means that you can never get rid of it.

Advertisement