Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would kids prefer to play on the ground floor?

Options
  • 18-04-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello,

I have 2 x 2 years old twin boys, and planning to boy a house.

Which house to choose from (they are in a similar price):
    - buy a house with a room that I can dedicate for a playroom on the ground floor?
    - or buy a house without playroom on the ground floor but with large bedroom on the first floor instead, big enough to accomodate their beds , desks and still having a room for playing as well?

My point is: where would the boys prefer to play? I want to avoid the situation that we have little space on the ground floor (living room, kitchen only) but the boys would be coming playing there, instead of their room. They are 2 years old now, but surely I am also thinking what is going to happen in 5-10 years from now.

If you can share your experience/observations would be great.

Thanks,
    A.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would definitely have them on the ground floor.
    You can do house work etc and keep an eye on them and then when they are teenagers they have a room to hang out in with their friends where you can also keep a bit of an eye on them.
    The conservatory is the playroom here and I can keep an eye on them easily,the people that lived here previously had the converted garage as a hang out area for their teenagers and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

As they get older and get into computer games etc, then onto teens they will prefer their own space, When i was a teenager my "games room" was my sanctuary.
    It was a room on the first floor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Would agree with ground floor,we have two boys a 4 and 14 month old,our 4 year olds bedroom is quiet a big room and holds all his toys and desk and he loves playing and reading up there but i would love to have a little den down stairs so we are planing to build a little conservatory just for this purpose.

So if you have the choice go with the spare room down stairs and as you said it will also work out best when they get older and want to play there game consoles and relax with friends.Also if you are looking for good storage and seating for the new room you wont beat IKEA they have some fantastic stuff for kids rooms.Good luck with the new house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'd go with playroom on the ground floor. I would LOVE a playroom for all the toys and stuff and for them to play happily nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

In my experience Kids prefer to be as near you as possible. I'm in a bungalow and have a very large hall that serves as a playroom. But they still pull the stuff they want to play with up to kitchen.

Having said that, the older they get the further away from you they want to be:eek:

Best of luck of luck choosing house:)

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    In my experience Kids prefer to be as near you as possible.

This.

Having said that, the older they get the further away from you they want to be:eek:

And this. :eek::D

I'm in a bungalow and have a very large hall that serves as a playroom. But they still pull the stuff they want to play with up to kitchen.

We moved into a bungalow about 2 months before ours was born. These days I think I'd find it really weird to live in a house with stairs.

Advertisement