Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering a switch to HKC

Options
  • 18-04-2012 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

My Astec Alarm needs a bit of TLC but before I spend a few quid I was wondering if I changed it out for a HKC can I use existing sensors?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No you will need to change everything.
    If thinking of changing also look at Siemens.Some nice extra features for your money.

https://uk.spiap.com/products/intrusion/spc/centrales.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

bbability wrote: »
    My Astec Alarm needs a bit of TLC but before I spend a few quid I was wondering if I changed it out for a HKC can I use existing sensors?

The two wire devices wont work but with the HKC wire free devices if you run into any troubles you can also wire devices out of them. Some houses wired for Astec are simply cabled the easy way on one loop including external bell, PIRs and so on a 6 core cable so I would check this out before buying any equipment.
    If you do run into trouble HKC have a full suite of wire free devices including internal and external bell.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

We have converted lots of systems from Astec. You can get away with 4 core for bells & a window ,you just wont have a separate tamper or separate bell & strobe.
    Likewise PiRs & windows are ok on a 4 core loop.

That is correct but it is always best to give the customer the option.
    What way would you wire the external bell?

Red +
    Black - BHO
    Blue trigger bell & Strobe

TR into zone & return zone via duel EOL to panel on yellow :)

• Advertisement

It is a way but you would be in trouble if anything happened to a core on that cable :p

Seriousally?
    You Wouldn't use what's there in case something happens the cable.? ?
    Strange Logic. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

KoolKid wrote: »
    Red +
    Black - BHO
    Blue trigger bell & Strobe

TR into zone & return zone via duel EOL to panel on yellow :)

That won't work with HKC. Their zones don't use a common negative.

You Could then use an analyser board to give you a pair to keep your HKC panel happy.
    You will lose tamper though.
    Nothing is ever straightforward there is it?

Seriousally?
    You Wouldn't use what's there in case something happens the cable.? ?
    Strange Logic. ..

Have you ever come across a broken core in a cable?

• Advertisement

Ofcourse. But I've never come across someone wanting to run in a new cable just in case something happens to a cable that's perfectly good at the moment.
    Imagine if sparks thought like that. They would never be able to use twin and earth. ..

I agree. The point is that it is not possible if there was a problem with one of the 4 cores on the cable, nothing to do with running a new cable.

OK. I just don't see the point in posting about what is unlikely.
    You could fill up threads with potential problems with any advice given.

You could fill up threads with potential problems with any advice given.

And vise versa.

altor wrote: »
    And vise versa.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Keep forgetting you get so confused :D

Any thread has the potential to fill up with potential problems or potential problem fixers. That what the forum is all about.

The HKC system has a way around using the 3 cores for the external bell plus sensors giving there own individual tampers, types and so on..

All that's confusing me is why anyone would post up about a problem that would occur in less than 1 per cent of situations.
    Its like saying if your wiring a house run 2 cables everywhere.
    If we one gets damaged you will be in trouble there.
    This forum is about solving problems ,not inventing new ones.

All that's confusing me is why anyone would post up about a problem that would occur in less than 1 per cent of situations.
    Its like saying if your wiring a house run 2 cables everywhere.
    If we one gets damaged you will be in trouble there.
    This forum is about solving problems ,not inventing new ones.

It was said tongue in cheek, hence the stick out tongue.
    At lease there are solutions if this does arise for any of the 1%.

So I won't need to run 20 pair around the next house I wire then?:D Phew:)

So I won't need to run 20 pair around the next house I wire then?:D Phew:)

No harm while you have the lads doing it :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, you never know .... If 19 of those cores got broken I be F****d.:eek:
    Bloody contactors cutting corners during the boom only using 4/6/or 8 core...:eek: When they should have run 20 core enforced cable & fibre to every window as well just in case something happend .Cowboys the lot of them.I'm reporting them all first thing in the morning.:D
    Closing this as well ....
    Way off track & there may be future legal procedings...:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement