Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used this contraption to insulate attic stairs?

• 18-04-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

attic_insulator_inplace_atop_an_entrance.png

We put in an attic stairs recently and I'm wondering what the best way is to insulate it. Does anyone have any experience of using the things above?

Then this fella from the states made a clever little thing out of foamboard, might be just cheaper to copy him.

Any ideas about which would be better value in terms of cost & effectiveness? I'll probably have a cost on the foil tent tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

if you go to the stira website- the make and install a cover like this. I dont think our American guys product would stand up to much abuse. When he was fitting the box you could hear the squiks of the poly hitting the sides of the opening. Stiras product is pricy. Last time I looked €200. Check it out and make your own. I used 2 inch kingspan - around €25 plus timber framed it with 6 x 1 and hardboard backboard ( what you see at the back of a cupboard. ) 2 hinges later... job oxo. The key is to make sure you have enough space when the attic latter is in its unused position in the attic ( ie unopened). total cost - around €40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thanks - good tip. Think I'll try making my own, sturdy as you suggest. Worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

The door to the stairs is usually made from a insulation material. In my opionion there is no point/.

Well in my case, the attic stairs door is just made of wood and there's also plenty of space for air to flow, I'd be much happier to insulate it to make a good break between warm and cold sides. Each to their own though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Tidyweb wrote: »
    The door to the stairs is usually made from a insulation material. In my opionion there is no point/.
    can you elaborate a little on where you've seen these doors and what insulation material they are. thanks

• Advertisement

Obviously you feel very passionate about this.

But anyway. When you buy the stira type stairs, the door that closes up into the attic I am talking about

"The 6.6cm thick hatch is
    characterised by outstanding
    insulation parameters ensuring
    Uloft ladder = 0.76 W/m2K. It has a
    wooden structure filled from the
    inside with insulating material.
    Such a structure ensures heat
    retention and protects against
    excessive cooling of the
    habitable loft spaces."

http://www.fakro.com/att/brochures/loft_ladders_2011.pdf

Not sure of the level of insulation

Well, my fibreglass insulation has a U value of between .2 and .1, there's about 300mm up there.

So, even if I had a 6.6cm thick door, which would be most unusual based on the attic stairs I've seen, that would only have a U value of 0.76, and it would be acting as a weak spot in my insulation passing heat from the landing (large, difficult to heat space) into the unoccupied attic.

There's no real point in having any insulation if there are any weak points in it. It's like a leak in a bucket - not much good having a bucket that's 99% watertight if there's a hole in it.

true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,627 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a Stira, when it is in place no part of it is higher than joist level. I made a very simple (supposedly temporary, but it is lasting fine) panel of that compressed insulation material with a foil back, edged it with duct tape and made a 'handle' of the same stuff. I just bring it down and lay it on the joists as I retreat from the attic, it sits snug with no gaps and is light enough to move with one hand.

I did not want a hinged lid as it would be in the way of the water tank on one side and access to the attic on the other.

I am convinced it makes a significant difference to the insulation of the upstairs hall.

Advertisement