Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monday last

• 18-04-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Its surprising how many people disagree on this...

On wednesday a person was telling a story "On Monday last I went to the pub..." Would you think he was talking about Monday 2 days ago or 9 days ago?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Monday the 2nd (of January)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

you went to the pub on a school night???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Aye, probably go with the Monday not 2 days ago, but Monday 9 days ago.

But ye know, different people talk different. If I was talking about Monday 2 days ago I would say......."on Monday there" or "on Monday past".

But the more I think about it, the sorer my head gets :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

9 days ago. I only use last if the day is from a previous week. If the day is still in the current week I just call it as it is, eg on Monday I did.....

Monday last = 2 days ago.
    Last Monday = 9 days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I have a similar issue with the use of 'next' as in 'next Saturday'.

For me, 'next Saturday' the Saturday after this one, but some people take it as being the next Saturday - ie, Saturday coming.

I'm convinced I'm right, in which case I'm open to correction (at which point I will deny I ever said anything).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

For me, 'next Saturday' the Saturday after this one, but some people take it as being the next Saturday - ie, Saturday coming.

I'm convinced I'm right, in which case I'm open to correction (at which point I will deny I ever said anything).
    Yup, if someone says to me 'see ya next saturday' I always have to ask what they mean, 'this coming one or the following saturday?' Btw, do you use 'the forenoon'?
    I used to get confused about time too coz back in Holland 'half four' is half to four and thus half past three, not half past four like it is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd think he was taking the piss - no-one goes to the pub on Monday....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Who gives a f*ck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Yup, "this saturday" or just "saturday" is the saturday of the present week and "next saturday" is the saturday of the next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

You are indeed correct. 'Next Saturday' is a shortened version of 'next week Saturday'. The Saturday that falls in two days time is 'this Saturday'.

I have absolutely no proof of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Thats probably why the Gards always phrase questiions like 'where were you on the day of 2nd of whatever...'

If they just said where were you last monday, you could get off the hook by mistakenly thinking they were on about last monday week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Johro wrote: »
    Btw, do you use 'the forenoon'?
    I used to get confused about time too coz back in Holland 'half four' is half to four and thus half past three, not half past four like it is here.

I've never heard of the 'forenoon' - it must be a Dutch thing!

'Half' always means half an hour past the hour in English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Have you ever consided standing as a canditate for the Labour party?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah The Monday club, what great sessions we used to have there, thanks for the memories OP! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Last as in previous as in the one gone by, so 2 days ago because it was the last Monday, otherwise you would say last Monday week i.e. Monday of last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Well thank God we have a calender with dates on it so we can avoid this confusion!

So if the Monday you are talking about fell on the 11th day of the month of September you would call it Nine-Eleven. Simple really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No no no. Next saturday is what it says, the next saturday, in this case the 21st. Saturday week is the one after that!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

This Saturday - the upcoming one
    Saturday Week - upcoming one + 7
    Saturday Fortnight - upcoming one + 14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I always take the Next or Last to apply to the week.

Monday Last - Monday last week.
    Next Saturday - Saturday next week.

This Monday - Monday this week
    This Saturday - Saturday this week

Granted, you have to know what day of the week we're in for this to work...but sure that's what mobile phone clocks / calendars are for !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

I've never heard of the 'forenoon' - it must be a Dutch thing!

'Half' always means half an hour past the hour in English.

This half four thing is bloody annoying.
    In all slavic languages it means 3.30.... maybe German too??

I was an hour late to the pub once because of it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Monday = 3 days ago
    Friday = tomorrow

Last Monday = 10 days ago
    Next Friday = 8 days time

ronjo wrote: »
    This half four thing is bloody annoying.
    In all slavic languages it means 3.30.... maybe German too??

I was an hour late to the pub once because of it :eek:

My German is not what it used to be, but if you said the time was "halb zwei" it is 1.30 (literally half two).

On Monday (16th)
    Last Monday (9th)
    This Monday (23rd)
    Monday week (30th)
    Monday fortnight (7th)

it's not that hard, is it?

On Monday (16th)
    Last Monday (9th)
    This Monday (23rd)
    Monday week (30th)
    Monday fortnight (7th)

it's not that hard, is it?

what about next Monday?
    Could really be 23rd or 30th depending on the person.

Next Monday would be the 30th for me.

Next Monday would be the 30th for me.

So when someone says "next goal wins" for you it means the second one?? :pac:

Well, like you said, it generally depends on the person, so if it's something important, I make sure to get an exact date instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Monday just gone (16rd)
    Saturday coming (21nd)

Monday before last. (09st)
    Saturday week. (28nd)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

**** it, just get a date. Too many different opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Formation wrote: »
    **** it, just get a date. Too many different opinions.

Well you started it ffs!!!

:pac:

Advertisement