Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a timber cabin from scratch

• 18-04-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We're considering building a timber cabin as temporary accommodation on our site as we build our house (self building that so it will take a while). I just want a simple enough cabin, 5m X 3m or thereabouts. It'll be a bedsit as such, I know but needs must and all that these days!!

I have tried in vain to find much advice on this on the net. Googling 'log cabin self build', timber frame self build', etc. just turns up a few pages of 'log' cabin suppliers followed by blogs from eco-warrior types who build proper log cabins in the wilds of Alaska.

I want to build something along the lines of a 5x2 frame with a door and two windows and a cheap yet reliable roof covering. Every euro spared building this will go towards the house proper so it doesn't have to be over-engineered yet it should be warm, dry and stable all year round.

What I was thinking so far and I'm wide open to suggestions;

- Pad foundations with block piers rising above the ground, 3 each on the long walls

- 3 'H' steel beams running across these piers

- floor construction would be 4x2s running across these, OSB on top, 3x2s across again, insulation between these and floorboards on top

- build the frame off the steel and that's where I've stopped planning!

Any ideas would be great. I realise I may have over-engineered the floor even, but I want to insulate it so I need something to hold that up, hence the OSB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hi folks,

We're considering building a timber cabin as temporary accommodation on our site as we build our house (self building that so it will take a while). I just want a simple enough cabin, 5m X 3m or thereabouts. It'll be a bedsit as such, I know but needs must and all that these days!!

I have tried in vain to find much advice on this on the net. Googling 'log cabin self build', timber frame self build', etc. just turns up a few pages of 'log' cabin suppliers followed by blogs from eco-warrior types who build proper log cabins in the wilds of Alaska.

I want to build something along the lines of a 5x2 frame with a door and two windows and a cheap yet reliable roof covering. Every euro spared building this will go towards the house proper so it doesn't have to be over-engineered yet it should be warm, dry and stable all year round.

What I was thinking so far and I'm wide open to suggestions;

- Pad foundations with block piers rising above the ground, 3 each on the long walls

- 3 'H' steel beams running across these piers

- floor construction would be 4x2s running across these, OSB on top, 3x2s across again, insulation between these and floorboards on top

- build the frame off the steel and that's where I've stopped planning!

Any ideas would be great. I realise I may have over-engineered the floor even, but I want to insulate it so I need something to hold that up, hence the OSB.

Buy a caravan? :)

Don't know enough to advise. The most I have build is a free standing deck. Good luck though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't bother with Steel and concrete.
    Just build a twinwall timber shed with
    Shiplap/ Batten/ OSB/Stud/Insulation/Slab
    Warm and easily insulated.
    Raft with 100mm insulation

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Search 'walter Segal self build method' and get his book
    And also see a book on strawbale by Barbara Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

If you are building a garadge, would you not think to turn that into accomodation, even upstairs.

My sister did that to her's and it turned out great, and still left room at back for the lawnmower, kids bikes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Thanks a million for all the replies folks.

That Segal site looks good, thanks for the idea.

Unfortunately I don't have planning for a garage so can't use that which is a pity.

A caravan was an idea but to buy a good one would cost the same as building a cabin and then I'm left with a caravan to try to get rid of.

A raft foundation sounds good actually. Can the floorboards just be laid on top of the insulation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A raft foundation sounds good actually. Can the floorboards just be laid on top of the insulation?
    No, the insulation goes under the concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I bought a log cabin designed as a garden office. Came as a self assemble kit. I use it as a shed. It has three rooms and you could comfortably live in it with a source of heat. I suspect you are after a cheaper solution though.

Floor beams sit on blocks rather than a concrete pad.

Shed.jpg

dim_suoja.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Seen Western Red Cedar TG&V used in Scotland recently - great for lasting. If you use it do a fair bit of research on coating it as it repells most stuff I have seen applied by "professionals". Just on the OSB - do make sure its OSB3 as I have been supplied with OSB2 when I used the general term - it looks a wee bit cheaper, but not suitable for most Irish environments. On a side note - its a shame Brooks was shut by the liquidator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Cnocbui, just out of interest, how much roughly did that particular cabin cost? Do you know the construction of it?

Reader, thanks for that tip, will bear that in mind.

I've heard that larch would be a great timber for cladding it, I'll probably do a shiplap cladding. Does anyone know much about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

About €4K from B&Q at the time. I believe the same thing in the UK is about £3K.

38mm thick pre slotted pine boards on a base of pressure treated timbers. The boards are profiled on the top and bottom to prevent water ingress and draughts. They work. Made in Finland from slow growth timber I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Personally I would buy a cheap mobile home:D.

We looked into it as a third bedroom for quests but you can only get planning on them on your site while building/renovating.

We looked at a 30ft by 10ft with 2 beds, fully equipped kitchen. sink, fridge,slot in gas cooker, lounge, gas fire, seating. gas boiler for hot water and bathroom fully plumbed too with shower flush toilet and washbasin. It was in good condition for the age and dry.

We were going to buy it for 900 euro fully delivered. All you would need to do is connect water to the pipe under the mobile and connect to the septic tank and the electric.

It would be ideal for you:D and all mod cons.

I would look into it, especially a dealer who can deliver:) You could resell later.
    Something like this.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/mobilehomes/3283627

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kangoo

hi check this out. he is an architect and has build it him self..
    plan on doing the same my self. http://www.irishvernacular.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

I was considering the exact same thing for an outdoor workshop but when I did the figures there was not a huge difference in buying the materials in a builders providers and what I ended up with

http://dunsterhouse.co.uk/log-cabins/avonsup-sup-400/3m-x-4m-avonsup-sup-400
    I took about a day and a half to put up on a prepared base

The cabin is pretty good I thought the floor beams were a bit light 3" x 2" so I put in platy of support

They were ok to deal with

Does anything with a foundation still need planning permission?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Reader1937 wrote: »
    could you be more vague?

start here
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2
    and come back to us thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Reader1937 wrote: »

Depends on lots of things front / back / size / zoning the list goes on check with your planner they are generally helpful

BryanF wrote: »
    could you be more vague?

start here
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2
    and come back to us thanks:)
    Bless. Read quite a bit of that thank you. What a specific way to answer.

cram1971 wrote: »
    Depends on lots of things front / back / size / zoning the list goes on check with your planner they are generally helpful
    Fair points. Sheds in general as I remember do require pp if a foundation is to be provided and certainly if there are services provided through it. Spot on Cram1971, I will check with the planner. Thanks for the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

garages/ sheds not greater than 25m2 do not need planning permission subject to certain conditions. cannot be in front of the building line of the house for 1, cant be higher than the house etc.

Advertisement