Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career in Java

Options
  • 19-04-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going for a junior java role at the moment. It will involve a lot of front end stuff using the spring framework. I've developed a couple of websites and done some GUI stuff using C++ before, and I enjoyed doing it. Just wondering if this is a good career choice though? Will there be much work in this area in a couple of years?

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lowlifer

Java doesn't seem to be going anywhere, especially (enterprise) web applications.
    Its uses range from bank portals to farm monitoring software.
    Android devices seem to be getting popular, so there's also that.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

It's definitely going to be around for years to come, you should be pretty safe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP you don't make a career in Java, you make a career as a computer programmer.

Choice of language is insignificant in the long-term. But yes Java is one of the "big ones" both now and for the forseeable future. The other big ones would be c# and c++. Real programmers are proficient in all of them, and all the various associated tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you are working in Java then getting experience in using Spring framework is useful.
    It encourages a new professional programmer into a lot of good practices and creating maintainable loosely coupled programs. It isn't as opaque and daunting as other frameworks (especially third party ones which are essentially black boxes.) It's unlikely that college or light personal programming has taught you these techniques.

As you practice your profession you'll be able to weigh the benefits and pitfalls of different frameworks and languages against Spring and Java.
    And a lot of this knowledge is quickly transferable to c# and springframework.net.

I'd go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement