Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LRIAM?? Music Teaching?

Options
  • 19-04-2012 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi,

I don't know if this has been posted up here before but I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the deal is with the Riam's Lriam diplomas? They state on their website that once you have a degree in music, the diploma will function as a H.Dip, allowing you to work in Secondary Schools fulltime? Anyone know if this is valid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

It's not mentioned on the TC list of approved courses....
    But it seems fairly legit!

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Teacher%20Education/Programmes%20of%20Initial%20Teacher%20Education_Aug2011.pdf

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd check with the teaching council.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

I think it could be instrumental/vocal teaching only, but no harm in checking with the TC!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

http://www.gcd.ie/higherdiplomamusic/

Check out this one too . Seems to incorporate teaching practice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

anie_bawny wrote: »
    Hi,

I don't know if this has been posted up here before but I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the deal is with the Riam's Lriam diplomas? They state on their website that once you have a degree in music, the diploma will function as a H.Dip, allowing you to work in Secondary Schools fulltime? Anyone know if this is valid?

Can you put up a link to the page?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Here's the pdf of the Music Subjects General Regulations; the musicianship is the same

http://www.riam.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Music-Subjects-General-Regulations.pdf

Its the very last paragraph of the last page

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That looks fairly clear cut, but the wording suggests that the document is a good few years old. HDip is no longer used as a term of for the teaching qualification and it should say Teaching Council instead of Dept of Ed.

The fact that it differentiates between Vocational and Secondary Schools would also suggest this. It would be no harm to check with the Teaching Council just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ruppsy56

Definitively, the LRIAM teaching diploma, when combined with a degree in music from an Irish university, is recognised by the Department of Education and Science for the purposes of teaching class music (not instrumental music) at post-primary level to all classes up to and including Leaving Certificate. It is a PGCE equivalent for single-subject teachers of music and is thus often found in combination with a pure music four year honours B. Mus.
    There are various teachers with years of experience teaching with this combination, one a published expert on the teaching of music theory, former head of department at post-primary level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's an old thread, but the update is useful.Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ruppsy56 wrote: »
    Definitively, the LRIAM teaching diploma, when combined with a degree in music from an Irish university, is recognised by the Department of Education and Science for the purposes of teaching class music (not instrumental music) at post-primary level to all classes up to and including Leaving Certificate. It is a PGCE equivalent for single-subject teachers of music and is thus often found in combination with a pure music four year honours B. Mus..

Can you point to a link to where it states this?
    I can't find the RIAM anywhere on the Teaching Council's list HERE. I can see there's the BMusEd which is in conjunction with TCD/RIAM but nothing about the LRIAM.
    Hard to find anything on the RIAM website either (but their serach function mightn't be that good).
    For Post Primary it's moved up to Masters level so I'd be hesitant in saying it's "a PGCE equivalent".
    Ruppsy56 wrote: »
    There are various teachers with years of experience teaching with this combination, one a published expert on the teaching of music theory, former head of department at post-primary level.
    That's a legacy issue now at this stage though. (The same as there are currently teachers teaching with a Higher Diploma).

I'd be hasty about recommending people do 'The L' without getting the accreditation from the TC. But I'm open to correction if you can assure this with a link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

A colleague had intended for years to do this course (she has a music degree but no teaching qualification) but kept putting it off. She was told it's no longer accepted when she looked into it again last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ruppsy56

Please refer to the pre-January-2017 list
    (page 71, where the LRIAM Teaching Diploma is listed)

google Teaching Council and
    requirements up to Dec 2016

That was what I meant: that those who applied successfully for registration before January 2017 under the above system offering the LRIAM were regarded as having a PGCE equivalent
    teaching diploma. Where they are still registered, they still are so regarded.

Of course, the LRIAM is not listed under the new system.

google Teaching Council and
    requirements after January 2017

I hope this clarifies.

Advertisement