Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT fail or not?

Options
  • 19-04-2012 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

My car recently failed on ABS, Airbags and one wheel sticking out 2 mm more that the others. He said the airbags just arent working right wouldn't say what was wrong but to get them fixed. He said the ABS isn't working right same story with that. And he told me to buy new wheels?

What is the story with this place as none of the lights for ABS or airbags are on so how can he tell?
    Tagged:

Comments

If the car has airbags and ABS and lights don't come on and extinguish at start up its likelm the bulbs have been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

RoverJames wrote: »
    If the car has airbags and ABS and lights don't come on and extinguish at start up its likelm the bulbs have been removed.

The lights do come on and then go off. Thats what confuses me ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Are ABS and Airbag lights on when you turn the ignition on? They should stay on for a few seconds, and then go off.

wonski wrote: »
    Are ABS and Airbag lights on when you turn the ignition on? They should stay on for a few seconds, and then go off.

Yep thats exactly what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

What's listed on your fail sheet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

If you have odd wheels on the car your abs is unlikely to be workin correctly.

Edit:

The car will sense the different rotational speeds and think you're skidding is how it was explained to me before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Onwardandupwar

If you have odd wheels on the car your abs is unlikely to be workin correctly.

Edit:

The car will sense the different rotational speeds and think you're skidding is how it was explained to me before.

That is correct what your saying but u would have the abs light on in that case,

If both lights come on when the ignition is turned on and then go put as they should when the car is started there is no reason for him to fail it as that should tell him that they are there and working . So maybe if u tell us what the fail report says we could help u

It just says fail. And not functioning correctly. I asked him to explain and he said he doesnt go into detail he just knows its not right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

2mm is a very small distance, and I have never seen an NCT Tester measuring and comparing the wheel track (front & rear). Are you sure all four tyres are the same size ?
    If the warning lights are working correctly as you say just book a retest in a different Test centre.
    Also if you have a full-size spare (not a space-saver) put that on instead of the wheel which is protruding by a full 2mm. I presume the Tester was able to tell you which wheel they had a problem with, or was he not prepared to discuss this as well ?

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    2mm is a very small distance, and I have never seen an NCT Tester measuring and comparing the wheel track (front & rear). Are you sure all four tyres are the same size ?
    If the warning lights are working correctly as you say just book a retest in a different Test centre.
    Also if you have a full-size spare (not a space-saver) put that on instead of the wheel which is protruding by a full 2mm. I presume the Tester was able to tell you which wheel they had a problem with, or was he not prepared to discuss this as well ?

There is 4 brand new wheels with brand new tyres. he measured each ones distance from the body of the car and said one is exceeding the limit by 2mm. He spent 1 hour testing it....... After that he would not tell me what was wrong but just to get it fixed

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

There is 4 brand new wheels with brand new tyres. he measured each ones distance from the body of the car and said one is exceeding the limit by 2mm. He spent 1 hour testing it....... After that he would not tell me what was wrong but just to get it fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

crossy wrote: »

All sounds very strange TBH. I'd be going to see the supervisor if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

crossy wrote: »

That still wouldn't make sense....if the car had a wing replaced for example the chassis etc could be perfect and the wing could easily be a spurious one that didn't fit perfectly. If I go out and give my car a shove just above a wheel the body will bend in slightly but still no reason to fail an NCT.
    Are you sure you are not having an affair with this guy's wife ?????;)

As mentioned, a few words with the supervisor might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

It doesn't make sense to me either.

BTW: what car is it? ...and is it standard or has it been modified?

Wheelnut wrote: »
    It doesn't make sense to me either.

BTW: what car is it? ...and is it standard or has it been modified?
    Ye i may report him for this. Its a factory standard Honda civic. there is not one thing modified on it

Advertisement