Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First service, what's a reasonable price for main dealer to charge

• 19-04-2012 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭

Morning All,

My Renault Fluence 1.5dci is due it's first full service in the next few weeks, everything is hunky dory with it, no issues.

What is a reasonable price for a main dealer to charge for this before we get into the realms of taking the mickey? Assuming no issues

Also, what definitely has to be done and what just has to be checked at this stage

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I assume it wont be a heavy service (new sparks and the likes)

I think most Renault Dealers are doing services at a deal for €99, thats the bare minimum though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What is a reasonable price for a main dealer to charge for this before we get into the realms of taking the mickey? Assuming no issues
    Ring around a couple of dealers for the best price.
    Also, what definitely has to be done and what just has to be checked at this stage

Cheers
    It should tell you in the service book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

No spark plugs in a diesel, that I was shamefully educated on in a previous post :)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Ring around a couple of dealers for the best price.

It should tell you in the service book.

Was planning to ring the couple nearest to me,

Couldn't find those details in the owners service book

Not even a car mini expert so just wanted a bit of general info before doing the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Think my old man shelled out near enough to 200 for his Fluence service in Liffey Valley. But I think they stiffed him out of 40 notes for a set of wiper blades!!! (he's not the best at telling people to **** right off when it comes to things like this. Crazy thing is, he actually knows how to replace wiper blades!!!) He just paid it for the sake of convenience

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote: »
    Think my old man shelled out near enough to 200 for his Fluence service in Liffey Valley. But I think they stiffed him out of 40 notes for a set of wiper blades!!! (he's not the best at telling people to **** right off when it comes to things like this. Crazy thing is, he actually knows how to replace wiper blades!!!) He just paid it for the sake of convenience

Cheers GavMan, exactly the type of thing I'm trying to avoid, getting stiffed

Ring three of them and ask for a quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Cheers GavMan, exactly the type of thing I'm trying to avoid, getting stiffed

Just say to them when you are dropping the car in not to do any extra work unless approved. First service isn't much more than an oil and filter change anyway. Most garages are pushing their mini-service prices quite heavily now anyway so you should know what you will be paying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

RoverJames wrote: »
    Ring three of them and ask for a quote.

+1 , and ensure a courtesy car is provided for you that day in the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Keep in mind also that you don't have to have the car serviced in a main dealer, first service or not.

A first service is basically an oil and filter change and an inspection of all PDI items.

• Advertisement

Keep in mind also that you don't have to have the car serviced in a main dealer, first service or not.

A first service is basically an oil and filter change and an inspection of all PDI items.

Cheers, Is it difficult to demand genuine Renault parts / oil spec from other main dealers / indy as this would affect warranty?

Got one quote back , waiting on second.

€149.00 for oil & filter change, 25 point check & hook up to diagnostics to check for faults, upgrades & recalls, said they would sort be out with a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Cheers, Is it difficult to demand genuine Renault parts / oil spec from other main dealers / indy as this would affect warranty?

€149.00 for oil & filter change, 25 point check & hook up to diagnostics to check for faults, upgrades & recalls, said they would sort be out with a car

Its not renault parts, its genuine oem parts. The same ones renault use. Its very easy to request it, and if the garage cannot provide them, then I wouldnt want to be using him.

They don't have to be genuine Renault Parts once they are O.E(original equipment) quality.

As a guide, we charge EUR65 for the items mentioned above. The latest 1.5dci engines use a very specific oil type.

They don't have to be genuine Renault Parts once they are O.E(original equipment) quality.

As a guide, we charge EUR65 for the items mentioned above. The latest 1.5dci engines use a very specific oil type.

Was aware of the specific oil type, so €149 is reasonable then you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Was aware of the specific oil type, so €149 is reasonable then you think?
    €149 is more than twice as much as €65.;) On the other hand, you do have to factor in the loan car, the possible advantages in terms of future goodwill of a Renault SH and the convenience to you of the various options. Me, i'd use ND's quote to beat the dealers down with.

Anan1 wrote: »
    €149 is more than twice as much as €65.;) On the other hand, you do have to factor in the loan car, the possible advantages in terms of future goodwill of a Renault SH and the convenience to you of the various options. Me, i'd use ND's quote to beat the dealers down with.

Sorry, must do better :o

I interpreted ND'S €65 as the cost of oil & filter only not including labour etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

.....I interpreted ND'S €65 as the cost of oil & filter only not including labour etc

So did I. Can't see a service like you are getting for the 149 being done for 65 if it includes the oil etc.

Sorry, must do better :o

I interpreted ND'S €65 as the cost of oil & filter only not including labour etc

Unlike many main dealers, the price we say is the price you'd actually pay:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Unlike many main dealers, the price we say is the price you'd actually pay:P

LOL !

....sorry, is it just me, or why wasn't the first service of a brand new car not haggled in as a freebie by the selling dealer... ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

galwaytt wrote: »
    LOL !

....sorry, is it just me, or why wasn't the first service of a brand new car not haggled in as a freebie by the selling dealer... ?

I have to agree, I always ask for those, like 1st service free, mats, flaps and a tank a fuel...........etc etc

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I have to agree, I always ask for those, like 1st service free, mats, flaps and a tank a fuel...........etc etc

It was a scrappage deal but asked & got proper model fitted mats and half tank of juice, car came with fitted flaps anyway. Didn't think of asking for first service free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Get it done main dealer. Yes you can get it done elsewhere BUT when it comes to goodwill outside of warrenty you will get nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

It was a scrappage deal but asked & got proper model fitted mats and half tank of juice, car came with fitted flaps anyway. Didn't think of asking for first service free

You only got half a tank of juice???

Good old Dr. Bill gave my old man a full tank

GavMan wrote: »
    You only got half a tank of juice???

Good old Dr. Bill gave my old man a full tank

Yeah but he made it back on the wipers :p

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Get it done main dealer. Yes you can get it done elsewhere BUT when it comes to goodwill outside of warrenty you will get nothing.

Think this is probably the way to go while car is under warranty,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I am in the same boat.

Rang 4 dealers.

all 149 euro incl courtesy car and a valet

It's only an oil change + filter and a 25 point check

from renault website "All our services include a free 25 point safety check."

Renault parts dept individual price

oil filter 14.51

oil 59.04

I am in the same boat.

Rang 4 dealers.

all 149 euro incl courtesy car and a valet

It's only an oil change + filter and a 25 point check

from renault website "All our services include a free 25 point safety check."

Renault parts dept individual price

oil filter 14.51

oil 59.04

Some of those 25 point checks anybody could do, they must be making 300% on the filter price, that's why I was asking what's a reasonable price for a main dealer to charge

The 25 point check is designed to sound good, as you say, they are basic checks of lights, wipers, brakes, tyres and suspension, all standard as a minimum of any service.

Also the retail price of the oil and filter over the counter has little relevance to its cost to the workshop/dealer.

The 25 point check is designed to sound good, as you say, they are basic checks of lights, wipers, brakes, tyres and suspension, all standard as a minimum of any service.

Also the retail price of the oil and filter over the counter has little relevance to its cost to the workshop/dealer.

Agree,

I can buy the filter for €7 and I'm not in the trade so I expect Renault are getting them significantly cheaper along with the oil

So it's the labour charge which seems excessive then, I imagine any competent mechanic could change a filter & oil in one hour max and I'm being generous there time wise surely

• Advertisement

How much do you generally pay for a service out of interest?

Forgot to include that Renault dealer will update car computer, and reset service clock and stamp my book. It's my 1st service too.

When you say basic, How basic

just a look, or it goes up on a ramp for a 10 min inspection?

How much do you generally pay for a service out of interest?

It's been a while but probably less than €130 on the missus's 1.4 petrol with a small indy guy, this would include oil, oil & air filter, plugs and any other small bits & bobs like bulbs & wiper blades if needed, a good check around the car and advice on condition of brakes etc, don't necessarily think that's cheap either by the way but his location suits as I can get it done as he is next door to my work place

Just think that €149 for a first service which is mainly a change of oil & filter, quick look around a pretty new car and plug it into a diagnostic machine, think €100 is enough

How much do you pay / charge?

How much do you pay / charge?

I'm not a mechanic, I'd generally do the basics on my own and one or two other people's cars. As you say for what they are doing €100 would be more than enough but they are unlikely to reduce their price if you haggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Vicxas wrote: »
    I assume it wont be a heavy service (new sparks and the likes)

I think most Renault Dealers are doing services at a deal for €99, thats the bare minimum though.

OP has a diesel car...

And if its the first service the heavier stuff wouldn't be due.

I would stay away from main dealers. Servicing is easy. Go to a local garage with a good reputation.

The new 1.5dci renaults are serviced at 30,000 km or 2 years, whichever comes 1st.

• Advertisement

If you were doing 15000kms/year you'd be off your tree to leave the oil in there for two years or 30,000kms.

If you were doing 15000kms/year you'd be off your tree to leave the oil in there for two years or 30,000kms.

why?

A diesel engine isn't a clean yoke, the engine oil has a fair bit to do and gets comtaminated quite quickly, after the guts of 30,000kms or two years there is no way the engine oil would be performing as well as when it was fresher, a new Fluence or Megane is a decent chunk of cash even though they are cheap in comparison to other makes and models, it seems lunacy to me not to change the oil at 20k kms or annually to provide better care for the engine.

Annual service at least, is the way to go even if doing small km's in my opinion, was aware of 30km first service for the Fluence, my first will be done at 20k although some on here more experienced than me would advise every 10 or 12k

I change my own oil an filter every 10k, and thats on a diesel doing 140odd kms a day.

IMO these long intervals are to appeal to people who change their cars every 2 or 3 years and don't have to worry about the long term condition of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

105 was the most we ever paid here for the first or second service on our 3 cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Your paying for the service not the service so to speak. A mini valet, courtesy car and of course the knowledge that your car is in safe hands as well as a clean dealership to walk into. Its a nice feeling, question is whether thats worth 65 quid extra say. Personally I would say it is;)

lomb wrote: »
    Your paying for the service not the service so to speak. A mini valet, courtesy car and of course the knowledge that your car is in safe hands as well as a clean dealership to walk into. Its a nice feeling, question is whether thats worth 65 quid extra say. Personally I would say it is;)

If I'm honest, its a bit naive to assume that just because the garage has the brand of your car over its doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

lomb wrote: »

I get all that at my dealer (even travels the 20 miles to me to collect & return the cars) for €90 to €105

Advertisement