Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest options for repairs.

• 19-04-2012 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

My car needs work (new brake pads I think - the car is squealing from front and back wheel occasionally when driving at speed, stops when brakes are applied).

It's due a service in another 2k miles (I don't do a massive amount of mileage) so I am basically wondering the following

1. Am I right in thinking the squealing is the brake pad indicators?
    2. Would it work out cheaper to get the brake pads done now and the service done in 2k miles or to get them both done together seeing as labour is the biggest cost for both.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Make Mode ?

If you have a problem with your brakes then get them checked now! Why wait? Brakes squeal for other reasons other than worn brake pads but if you havnt changed them in a long time then Id get them checked out. Its a quick job now, wait 2k more and your disks could be damaged = more €€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Puegeot 206, 1999, 1.4 petrol

I'm not going to wait 2k miles for the brakes. I'm going to get them done now. I should have clarified that I meant would it be cheaper to get both the brakes and the service done now (as in the service early) or do the brakes and then the service when it's due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Hey Ash, if you are based in Dublin I know an independent mechanic who does work for half the quotes i was getting from other independents. Best to go off and pick up parts from a motorfactor yourself, so that they don't whack on their own hefty margin for this. Let me know if you would like the mechanics details...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Oh thanks but I'm not even near Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If youre getting work done anyway then Id get the service done at the same time. Ive always found it easier to negotiate a discount when getting a couple of jobs done together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement