Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi GPS 'can change traffic lights'

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They will be changing the magnetic field around the lights over the next few weeks and that will address the problem.

Uhmmm.... Methinks this was something they made up in order to save face for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

seamus wrote: »
    Surely if taxi drivers were able to change the lights with their GPS boxes, they would turn them green, and not red? :rolleyes:

What a fncking numpty. Complete waste of council time and money.

that would depend on if he wanted to add money to the fare by stopping at every red light while leaving the car running, therefore all adding the fare up

who the numpty now?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

28064212 wrote: »
    So when he said "I noticed that when I used the GPS computer to check my position, the lights changed", he was actually talking bollocks?

Sounds like someone just confused on board computer with GPS. Electronics in the lights improperly shielded from interference by other electronics. The taxi computers might communicate back to base over GSM or CB or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Stark wrote: »
    They will be changing the magnetic field around the lights over the next few weeks and that will address the problem.
    Uhmmm.... Methinks this was something they made up in order to save face for him.

Lol.....there will be some bloke with a hazmat suit on and a toy instrument walking around Galway going up to traffic lights and making sci fi sound effects with his mouth and saying stuff like 'oh yes the magentic field is ****fing alignment now.....just a few more minutes....'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

28064212 wrote: »
    So when he said "I noticed that when I used the GPS computer to check my position, the lights changed", he was actually talking bollocks?
    Not really.

The system used by the major taxi companies in Galway, maps Galway into various zones. It uses an onboard GPS system to determing where the taxi currently is, but it uses an onboard radio system to relay this information back to base.

The driver can push a couple of buttons which tells them how many taxi's are in a particular zone, so they can go to a zone with less taxis. This increases their chance of a pickup.

It looks like it's this radio system, and not the GPS receiver itself, which is interfering with the pedestrian lights.

Because this radio system is integrated with the onboard GPS system, Frank Fahy was calling it a 'GPS System'.

Earlier posters are completely correct insofar as it is highly unlikely for a GPS system to interfere with traffic or pedestrian lights. A radio system though which transmits information could interfere with lights, depending on certain circumstances.

I don't believe that Galway City Council are now admitting that it's happening, just to cover up for one of their councillors, and neither do I believe that Frank Fahy made this up either out of stupidity or naivety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Lol.....there will be some bloke with a hazmat suit on and a toy instrument walking around Galway going up to traffic lights and making sci fi sound effects with his mouth and saying stuff like 'oh yes the magentic field is ****fing alignment now.....just a few more minutes....'

That'll will cost them few grand to fix. Plus VAT. Plus consultant fees. So that comes to €30 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Trams in numerous European cities are fitted with devices that enable them to speed up the rate at which traffic lights change to suit them. However, I doubt if there are many taxi drivers anywhere - even in Dublin - rash enough to use such equipment even if they could get hold of it. It would be highly illegal and the insurance-related implications are horrendous.:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No need for new gadgets, most taxis come equipped with those magical hazard lights that allow them to do anything they want.

Advertisement