Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12.5 Metre extension

Options
  • 19-04-2012 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking at a house at the moment. Kitchen is small and the builder says he can extend he out to the back garden by 12.5 metres for 30K. This would be top building quality etc as the rest of the house is a high standard finish.

Just wondering is this a good price or a rip off.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

12.5 metres x what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭rayjdav

DOCARCH wrote: »
    12.5 metres x what?

12.5m * 3.2m = 40sqm

OP
    Are you aware that anything over this requires planning. I would advise, despite what your builder mate says, get an AT/Arch to look at the house and help you in deciding what is the best route to go.

Builder gonna build off fag box drawing?:confused: You will need something, drawing/spec wise, regardless for the builder to price from, if nothing else at least you will then know exactly what you are getting and he is giving for the agreed price. Avoids confusion down the line, and heartache.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Possibly the OP meant 12.5 sq. metres

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

muffler wrote: »
    Possibly the OP meant 12.5 sq. metres

Sorry I meant 12.5 Metre's squared. Around 2.5 * 5 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry I meant 12.5 Metre's squared. Around 2.5 * 5 metres.
    Without knowing all the details 30k looks to be a bit on the high side.

I'll move this over to the Prices/costs forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

OP you cant really expect a definitive answer for your question on an internet forum. Without someone like a QS, Building contractor, Project Manager, Engineer or someone who is familiar with construction costings and your particular project you will not get a true and accurate answer to your query.
    For example we are currently building an extension where the extended floor area is only 9m2 over a ground floor garage/store. We tendered for and won the contract to build this. The contract value is almost €100k. if you relate that to floor area, this would equate to over €10k per m2 of actual extension. The project is constructed of fairfaced architectural reinforced concrete, european oak joinery externally, carrera marble flooring and other high quality finishes with some mechanical and electrical works such as underfloor heating and partial rewire of existing dwelling.
    Now we have also recently completed other extensions which were more run of the mill stuff for prices between €1000-€1300 depending on specification and scope of works.
    If you are not happy with the price, get an independant professional review. It may cost a few hundred euros but could save you thousands. Even if you end up going with this contractor, at least you will have peace of mind knowing that the contractor has priced the project comprehensively and you will have little or no surprises or variations during the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

muffler wrote: »
    Without knowing all the details 30k looks to be a bit on the high side.

I'll move this over to the Prices/costs forum

Seems to be very dear; we are having an 30m2 extension built for around 20k, including plumbing and electricity (fully legit guys).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Isaos can you pm me on your location and builders details.

Advertisement