Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saler bull: LZR - easy on heifers?

• 19-04-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    I'm looking for any experiences with the Saler bull LZR.
    Our Hereford stock bull daughters(heifers 21-23 months old) are being kept as replacements and so I phoned the local AI man for an easy calving Saler bull.
    So he recomended and came with LZR straws. All fine but now when I look at this bull stats I find that he is in no way an easy calver and not recommended for heifers.
    ICBF:
    Calving Diff %
    PDrelStar within breedStar across breed% Rank within% Rank across6.296****143
    Munster AI:
    Rank =1% ,Star Rating within breed = ★ Calving Diff (% 3 or 4)
    6.17%
    Data reliability = 95%
    Star rating accross breeds = ★★★ Rank 41%

So does anyone out there know anything about this bull in relation to calving in general and calving from heifers in particular.
    I'm getting a bit concerned that the heifer will have problems calving in 8 months time.
    Cheers

S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

think they'll be grand myself up to the 6/7% mark.

I know there will be plenty ppl that will say only put 2-3% on them.

our new stock lm bull has a rating of 5.56% and I've put him on our retained SAx hiefers to start calving down at 20months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

49801 wrote: »
    think they'll be grand myself up to the 6/7% mark.

I know there will be plenty ppl that will say only put 2-3% on them.

our new stock lm bull has a rating of 5.56% and I've put him on our retained SAx hiefers to start calving down at 20months.

I'd use him on heifers as long as they good size and well managed nutrition wise on the few months leading into calving they ll be sound, he may be bit harder than other Salers as he is bigger but Saler still a very easy calving in general breed so you'll be grand I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SoJoMo

Thanks Lads

49801 -
    calving at 20 months ... wow, I just couldnt do that ...would it not stunt their growth?

Bodacious -
    heifers are "reasonable" size but getting fat. I've never done the restricted diet thing before as all animals get (ad-lib) mostly hay with cows also getting a bit of baled silage.

So what does a healthy restricted diet consist of? How do I know the minimum they need to survive without affecting the health of the calf? And would this not stunt the growth of the calf after its born?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

SoJoMo wrote: »
    Thanks Lads

49801 -
    calving at 20 months ... wow, I just couldnt do that ...would it not stunt their growth?

big cows have big mouths to feed;)

ok it might be more like 22months.
    Trying to give them plenty time so they go incalf in synch with the herd for 2nd calving.
    That is only every picking animals with at least 350kg at bulling. So they are the best of our hiefers.
    Had a look at the ones we discounted in Jan and I still would not bull them. havn't got the hips:pac:.

mentioned on here before we've had an accident with a sub 18 mth hiefer calving in feb. got a fair shock. mother and calf doing just fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 teaserbull

Haven't heard any issues with him calving, LZR is supposed to be doing very well over in france esp his females, which was surprising as his sire "The" never really did much, best salers bull in Progressive anyway!

New bull in Eurogene, Drumlegagh Dennis? and or alternatively use female sexed semen "whitebog convener" on the heifers?

The salers heifer weanlings are a disaster for coming into heat so young....we'done calve at 18 months too :-/ trouble free though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SoJoMo

Cheers Lads, I feel a bit better now!

Advertisement