Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing - Strainrite puller

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I use a hayes wire pullers, find it good.

For sheep wire though you must pull it all together, so best to either make or buy a length of iron with a few bars welding on to attach to all the wire and pull together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I have two Hayes wire strainers. Great tool.

Strainrite seem to be a very reputable and well established company aswel based on the videos I have seen of them on Youtube. And I would think they're strainer would be every bit as good as the hayes. They are based on the same principle. Really there is very little to go wrong with them.

Bought a few bits off Connacht agri. Very easy to deal with and quick dispatch.

How much are the strainrite pullers retailing at? Remember also to factor in carriage of around €10

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wardy1

thanks lads,

was quoted e98 inc Vat and 5 euro delivery so e103.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LongTail

Looks like a nice piece of kit. We would use a claw hammer for the same sort of task but it can require the extra set of hands to ensure the tension stays on the wire. This looks like the ticket for the one man operation.

LongTail wrote: »
    Looks like a nice piece of kit. We would use a claw hammer for the same sort of task but it can require the extra set of hands to ensure the tension stays on the wire. This looks like the ticket for the one man operation.

That's some hammer.... must be an estwing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 LongTail

Muckit wrote: »
    That's some hammer.... must be an estwing :D

Ha! Some hammer alright!

I didn't mean I pull the whole thing with a hammer. I use the same wire strainers as yourself for the main pulling. They are a great job. The hammer comes in handy for tying the wire around the strainer just.

Well f*ck me sideways........

I'm only after opening the link posted in the OP. I assumed (wrongly I might add :rolleyes:) that the 'strainer' was a chain type one like the hayes, I'm almost sure that strainrite do a chain type puller.

That 'yoke' is only good for short pulls and a small bit of maintenance. Go away and buy yourself the Hayes or similar chain type wire strainer and don't be wasting your money on that yoke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Muckit wrote: »
    Well f*ck me sideways........

I'm only after opening the link posted in the OP. I assumed (wrongly I might add :rolleyes:) that the 'strainer' was a chain type one like the hayes, I'm almost sure that strainrite do a chain type puller.

That 'yoke' is only good for short pulls and a small bit of maintenance. Go away and buy yourself the Hayes or similar chain type wire strainer and don't be wasting your money on that yoke!!
    Scroll down, there are 3 different types on the page. The second one is the same as the hayes strainer which is a gr8 job ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Magenta Direct have those chain types. It doesn't say if it is a Hayes one.
    Price is € 81.30 (plus P&P, I persume).
    http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=WIRESTRAINER&cat=19

Wire%20Strainer.JPG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Costly solution to a simple problem?! I use two ways to pull wire
    1. clamp vice-grip (every farmer has one) to wire and pull with claw hammer, catching clamped vice in claws an pull!
    2. Clamp wire to side of bucket on the loader and pull with tractor, does require sensitive clutching!!

Another idea i had was to weld a tubular section to back of vice-grip and pull the wire by clamping on vice-grip, running a bar through the tubular section and swing!!

• Advertisement

Would a turnbuckle not work for Hi-tension wire?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoPWyUuY9oAITgx7T1F0NHcOWYanh86hB39TM3jJ19cvLUnAaknw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

pakalasa wrote: »
    Magenta Direct have those chain types. It doesn't say if it is a Hayes one.
    Price is € 81.30 (plus P&P, I persume).
    http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=WIRESTRAINER&cat=19

Wire%20Strainer.JPG.jpg

Seems to have hooks instead of the grip things that the Hayes has, which means every time you wanted to strain the wire, you would need to make a loop for the hook - which IMHO would be a pain. :(:eek:
    I would say get the hayes, or one with the proper grips to catch the wire.

Ya, you're right. Well spotted.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eddiek

how far can you pull/strain barbed wire (the green one) with a good wire pullers before it breaks? i mean how far apart should you set your strainers assuming ya have a few hundred yards of straight fence to erect? THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Good loser

eddiek wrote: »
    how far can you pull/strain barbed wire (the green one) with a good wire pullers before it breaks? i mean how far apart should you set your strainers assuming ya have a few hundred yards of straight fence to erect? THANKS

For long stretches (especially if straight) would recommend concete straining posts with struts.

Pull wire though holes in the posts and strain onto galvanised strainers - tightened with vise grip or socket. Will do barbed or electric wire. If wire loosens can easily be fixed.

Young fellows should plant whitethorns at important corner points to strain off once strong - won't rot.

Good loser wrote: »
    For long stretches (especially if straight) would recommend concete straining posts with struts.

Pull wire though holes in the posts and strain onto galvanised strainers - tightened with vise grip or socket. Will do barbed or electric wire. If wire loosens can easily be fixed.

We've done this. It is a great job. Take off the thorns from a ft or two of the barb wire and it will feed through the holes on the concrete post, no problem. It's a lifetime job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Good loser wrote: »

Young fellows should plant whitethorns at important corner points to strain off once strong - won't rot.

We have a good few concrete posts in place. There all fine and dandy until an animal arses into them and they break at ground level hanging on by only the re-bars.

I'm not a fan of straining a fence off a tree either. A proper fence should be more than capable of holding it's own independently.

I'm all in favour of planting whitethorns and a nice mix of others, the odd standard tree too is a great job.

Advertisement