Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Min of Education visiting Tramore Friday Apr 20

Options
  • 19-04-2012 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Hearing that Ruairi Quinn will be in Tramore tomorrow to visit the Gael Scoil!

Presume he will have a stock answer as to why they have been refused a new school yet again despite being in prefabs for the last 20+ years!

He is also due to visit the CBS as well as the site for the new secondary school which has been delayed cos the Dept only sanctioned 2 small dressing rooms for a mixed school of over 1100 students and the Co Council want them to put in four so they made it a planning condition!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Surely they'll wait now till either of the existing secondary schools are vacated when the new building is completed. No?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What reasons were given so far on this anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Why not ask your local TD or should that be theTV3 Star now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Mugser wrote: »
    Surely they'll wait now till either of the existing secondary schools are vacated when the new building is completed. No?

From what I hear that won't be an option cos the schools are owned by the Sisters of Charity and the Christian Brothers respectively. I would say Glor na Mara might end up in the CBS cos of the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

scout353 wrote: »
    From what I hear that won't be an option cos the schools are owned by the Sisters of Charity and the Christian Brothers respectively. I would say Glor na Mara might end up in the CBS cos of the hall.

But would it not be better to have them in use rather than letting them go to ruin?
    And haven't the state forked vast amounts of money in grants to justify state ownership? Apart from the compensation to victims of abuse whilst under the protection of such religious orders? Surely that would be reason enough for the keys to be handed over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Mugser wrote: »
    But would it not be better to have them in use rather than letting them go to ruin?
    And haven't the state forked vast amounts of money in grants to justify state ownership? Apart from the compensation to victims of abuse whilst under the protection of such religious orders? Surely that would be reason enough for the keys to be handed over.

You're right but you're dealing with two organisations that own those buildings and won't just hand them over. The State hands over money for the running of the schools but how does that give them any rights?

I would have thought that the Gael Scoil could move to the Stella Maris as that is a substantial building while the CBS only has one solid brick building now and as far as I know there are few classrooms there - just the hall, offices and one or two classes.

Advertisement