Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into programming

Options
  • 19-04-2012 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I've a BSc in Computer Science and got good grades in my programming subjects during that time.
    I'm out of college about 6 years now.

Through carrier drift and personal circumstances I've done less and less programming. My current job has little relevant experience in that regard.

I've always enjoyed programming and would like to get my skills and career heading down that path again.

Could anyone tell me what my prospects would be for this and what would be a good way to improve my skills or changes of employment in this area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I wonder if you did a 1 year taught masters would you be considered for graduate programs afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Op if you enjoy programming, then do some programming. You don't need a job for this, you do need a pc and internets - which you seem to have.

Try some smartphone development, writing simple android apps will get you into java - which will get you a job. The tools (in this case) are free, the only barrier to entry is your own motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 random punter

srsly78 wrote: »
    Op if you enjoy programming, then do some programming. You don't need a job for this, you do need a pc and internets - which you seem to have.

Try some smartphone development, writing simple android apps will get you into java - which will get you a job.

I've done a fair bit of java but only a little on android. Defiantly something that I could do more of.

Advertisement