Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching the 10 Commandments

• 19-04-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Just wondering how the primary teachers here approach teaching the 10 Commandments at various class levels. I suppose the one I'd be particularly interested in is "Thou shall not commit adultery", given the possibility of children in the class coming from broken families as a result of "adultery".

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Generally not taught until 6th class-if even then.Mainly taught as a list along with gifts and fruits of Holy spirit, no real theological discussion on them!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We do them in 5th. We go through the story of Moses/burning bush/ tablets etc and they learn the song 'The Ten commandments'. " Be Faithful In Marriage" - is how it is phrased. You try to get across the idea that marriage is very important but never go into specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

given the possibility of children in the class coming from broken families as a result of "adultery".
    All the more reason for a frank and open discussion perhaps!

In sixth class I say that people can fall in and out of love. Everyone knows people who married or set home in a loving relatonship but subsequently things have gone wrong for one reason or another and people realize that they can no longer live happily together. Perhaps for these people, everyone might be happier if they live apart, still loving their children etc etc
    However adultery is not being fair and honest with your partner and to the promises you may have made. We know things may not work out but is it right to have a relationship behind your partner's back?
    So 6, be fair and honest with your partner
    9, don't do things that may lead to 6!

Also, if I'm feeling alittle hypocritical, I think, it' not ME making the rules, just reporting them.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Generally not taught until 6th class-if even then.Mainly taught as a list along with gifts and fruits of Holy spirit, no real thrological discussion on them!!

That explains why the third class I taught had never heard of them :o

Advertisement