Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Cooling build log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Serephucus wrote: »
    You'll be doing well to get components running that hot. Water will be, worst case, 10°C above ambient, and tubing even less.
    im struggling to find 45° fittings that connect directly to the tube. all seem to be female connectors.. what am i doing wrong?

EDIT: im looking for this, but in black and for 1/2".. i know they exist?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Well, there's things like this and this, and also this very cool thing as well.

You could use adapters like these with regular barbs if you wanted to either.

Honestly though, with the prices you'd be paying for those, you'd probably save money going with compressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I would change the direction of the flow but other than that it looks perfect. I have one of my machines flowing that way and there is a significant drop in flow rate over when I had it the other way with even just one block on a d5 pump (twice the flow rate of yours). Going against gravity through the block seems to slow it down a bit too much.

I'm not sure that would help. The other way round, he'd have to go through a radiator, then up to another one, and they're usually lot more restrictive than blocks are (though it depends on the block, I'll grant you).

I've got my pump pushing water from the floor of my case, right to the top, out the back, along another two feet of hose, into the Nova 1080, and back out, and it's been fine. I don't have flow sensors, but I haven't noticed any problems. I introduced small bubbles into the loop to get a vague idea of what the water was doing, and it was slower alright, but only about the same as the exit (from the pump) water was at around setting 3, which is still plenty.

which pump will suite my system and be quiet? i was going to go with the 355 you suggested, but i watched a video on youtube and it sounded really loud. would this D5-VPP655 be better? they're about the same price.

• Advertisement

There's a lot of debate about this. The 355 gives you lower flow rate, but higher pressure, and the D5 gives you higher flow rates, but lower pressure. Flow rate is important in bigger loops, generally just to keep water moving, as you'd imagine. Pressure it's useful in bigger loops, but also in more restrictive ones, and generally speaking, the bigger a loop gets, the more restrictive it is.

I specifically specced you high-flow blocks, so that you'd have options, and not have to be stuck to a particular pump, so it's up to you really. I have heard a few people complaining about 355 noise though, so maybe.

As far as I can see, it depends on what GPU block you end up going for for whatever card is next, because the Rasa, Raystorm, and Supreme HF are all low-restriction blocks, and same with the rads. The Swiftech block you have might not be ideal - AFAIK Swiftech blocks are usually very restrictive. They make EVGA's blocks for their Hydro Copper cards, and though they're good, they're by far the most restrictive WC solution out there. - but you won't have it for very long, so it doesn't matter too too much.

aarg. ill just stick with the 355 so.

this is my (mostly) final basket.

outside of this i have an RS240 and a swiftech 6990 block. am i missing anything?

Item|Price
    4 x 1/4" Thread High Flow Barb Fitting for 1/2" (13mm) ID Tubing : Black|£6.38
    XSPC RayStorm CPU Waterblock for Intel : RayStorm Intel|£53.99
    Laing DDC-1+ Ultra Pump 600 L/hr 18W (MCP355) : DDC-1+ T|£59.95
    Phobya Xtreme 200mm Radiator|£53.99
    Pulse Modding 99.9% Silver Kill Coil|£4.00
    2 x XSPC 7/16" ID - 5/8" OD (11-16mm) High Flex Tubing : Black|£5.18
    4 x 1/4" Thread 45° Rotary Compression Fitting for 1/2" ID - 5/8" OD (13-16mm) Tubing : Black|£12.38
    EK Laing DDC X-RES 140 Reservoir Pump Top : Black Acetal|£38.99
    2 x 120 x 20 x 0.5mm Self Adhesive Thermal Pad|£3.41
    Shipping|£17.94
    Total|£ 256.16

will that be enough thermal padding to cover the vram and memory etc of the GPU block? if you look at the second pic of the GPU block im getting it doesnt look like all that much?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    aarg. ill just stick with the 355 so.

this is my (mostly) final basket.

outside of this i have an RS240 and a swiftech 6990 block. am i missing anything?

Item|Price
    4 x 1/4" Thread High Flow Barb Fitting for 1/2" (13mm) ID Tubing : Black|£6.38
    XSPC RayStorm CPU Waterblock for Intel : RayStorm Intel|£53.99
    Laing DDC-1+ Ultra Pump 600 L/hr 18W (MCP355) : DDC-1+ T|£59.95
    Phobya Xtreme 200mm Radiator|£53.99
    Pulse Modding 99.9% Silver Kill Coil|£4.00
    2 x XSPC 7/16" ID - 5/8" OD (11-16mm) High Flex Tubing : Black|£5.18
    4 x 1/4" Thread 45° Rotary Compression Fitting for 1/2" ID - 5/8" OD (13-16mm) Tubing : Black|£12.38
    EK Laing DDC X-RES 140 Reservoir Pump Top : Black Acetal|£38.99
    2 x 120 x 20 x 0.5mm Self Adhesive Thermal Pad|£3.41
    Shipping|£17.94
    Total|£ 256.16

will that be enough thermal padding to cover the vram and memory etc of the GPU block? if you look at the second pic of the GPU block im getting it doesnt look like all that much?

Get the likes of this D5 rather than a standard one for the best of both worlds high flow and a good delivery head. http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Koolance-PMP-450S-High-Flow-Pump--PMP-450S-pid-13376.html They are much quieter than the one you have specced also. I would get a pump top for it also though.

deceit wrote: »
    Get the likes of this D5 for the best of both worlds high flow and a good delivery head. http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Koolance-PMP-450S-High-Flow-Pump--PMP-450S-pid-13376.html They are much quieter than the one you have specced also. I would get a pump top for it also though.
    which pump top?

Have you checked to make sure that it is 0.5mm you need? Usually there are a few different thicknesses, etc.

@deceit: if he's going for a D5, it would be much better for him to go for the one already linked; saves £20 by not having that stupid stock head on it.

Edit: RE pump top, I've been thinking about something like this. Seems the most tidy solution.

• Advertisement

thanks lads. ive to go to work but ill take a look at the stuff when i get home. sound.

Have you checked to make sure that it is 0.5mm you need? Usually there are a few different thicknesses, etc.

@deceit: if he's going for a D5, it would be much better for him to go for the one already linked; saves £20 by not having that stupid stock head on it.

Edit: RE pump top, I've been thinking about something like this. Seems the most tidy solution.

I cant find the d5 you linked??
    The problem with the ddc's is they are two noisy (noise vibrating through the case) and with using the fans he picked I'm sure you will hear the noise of the pump over the fans.
    The d5 even without the padding would be silent running on the 3rd setting which would be more than enough for him. I've both my d5's running on the highest setting and you cant hear them and one of them doesn't have padding.

Well all this is really subjective. I can hear my D5 over 600RPM fans, and it's on padding. It's by no means loud - the hard drives are louder - but just something to bear in mind.

It did cross my mind when I specced it originally. The reason I wasn't too worried was because the noisy reports I'd read were also with others that said it was fine. Seemed to be a pretty subjective thing.

This was the one I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I have one of these sitting at home unused. I bought it for my build but it turned out I didn't need it because of the Res I went with. I'm not going to bother selling it as (1) I'm a lazy git and (2) it's more hassle than its worth for what I'd get for it. It's yours if you want it, FOC. It's just gathering dust where it is. I'm in Dublin tho so it would have to be collect or post.

Well all this is really subjective. I can hear my D5 over 600RPM fans, and it's on padding. It's by no means loud - the hard drives are louder - but just something to bear in mind.

It did cross my mind when I specced it originally. The reason I wasn't too worried was because the noisy reports I'd read were also with others that said it was fine. Seemed to be a pretty subjective thing.

Yea the alphacool is the one I would get out of all the pumps personally but when you you where comparing it to the ddc and saying it drops off in pressure, I added the other to show that you can get a d5 that is better in every respect if needed but the alphacool d5 would be more than enough for his setup and is better than a ddc imho.

They're the same pump... The one you linked is a bog-standard D5, and this one is a bog-standard D5, minus the top, with a different sticker. How's that make it better than a DDC?

Neilos wrote: »
    I have one of these sitting at home unused. I bought it for my build but it turned out I didn't need it because of the Res I went with. I'm not going to bother selling it as (1) I'm a lazy git and (2) it's more hassle than its worth for what I'd get for it. It's yours if you want it, FOC. It's just gathering dust where it is. I'm in Dublin tho so it would have to be collect or post.

Thats sound of you :). Was trying to get one on adverts the other day, pain to try get hold of second hand. That should sort his rig out nicely :)

They're the same pump... The one you linked is a bog-standard D5, and this one is a bog-standard D5, minus the top, with a different sticker. How's that make it better than a DDC?

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Koolance-PMP-450S-High-Flow-Pump--PMP-450S-pid-13376.html
    This one is not a standard d5 its a 24v one and has a delivery head of up to 5.8m compared to 3.7m in the standard d5 and the 18w ddc's 4.7m that is why it is better in every way. Its quieter, pumps more water and it has 5.8m d/h???

Ah, I didn't see the extra voltage it could use. That's cool I suppose, but I don't see that much power ever being necessary; a standard D5 would probably do the job fine. I recommended the DDC simply because higher pressure is usually recommended for multi-block multi-rad loops, but the noise could be a problem, so it's a toss-up.

• Advertisement

Ah, I didn't see the extra voltage it could use. That's cool I suppose, but I don't see that much power ever being necessary; a standard D5 would probably do the job fine. I recommended the DDC simply because higher pressure is usually recommended for multi-block multi-rad loops, but the noise could be a problem, so it's a toss-up.

Yea and thats why I recommended the alternative d5. In fairness I have a 360mm rad, 480mm rad and 3 waterblock's that will be put on one standard d5 and I know that it will be more than enough for that setup so I seriously doubt with his two blocks and 2 rads will he have any issues, I was merely showing the bigger one as in my opinion unless your stuck for space it should be a choice between a d5 or the upgraded d5. For setups tight on space I would go with a standard ddc though.

that pump is OOS, but ive added it to my basket anyway. Thanks.
    Serephucus wrote:

Im not following?

noob here:o

now that Ill have a pump top, I can get a free standing res. Are all Res's equal, or are some more equal than others?

what am I looking for?

From what I gather, I need one thats going to be easy to fill. thats all i got..:o

For coolant, ive got access to filtered, de-ionized, UV sterilized, water with a conductivity of between 23-25μS·cm−1

Is that good or should i get some shop bought stuff?

I'd advise looking at an acetel res. (the black plastic stuff) for screwing threads in. The acrylic ones have been known to crack.

Cracky:
    http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Danger-Den-Fillport-Reservoir-Plexi--RES-001-pid-11468.html

Not so cracky:
    http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/EK-Multioption-Reservoir-Res-X2-100-Basic-pid-11996.html

Now you don't have to go with that. I've never used a res so I can't say for sure, but that's the general advice I got when I was considering a res or a t-line for my first WC build.

RE water: Filtered is probably alright, though I'm not sure exactly what that might mean. Failing that, de-ionised will do.

The 0.5mm for the pads was their thickness. They're not all equal. My 580 block needs 1.0, 1.5, and 3.0, for example.

I'd advise looking at an acetel res. (the black plastic stuff) for screwing threads in. The acrylic ones have been known to crack.

Cracky:
    http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Danger-Den-Fillport-Reservoir-Plexi--RES-001-pid-11468.html

Not so cracky:
    http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/EK-Multioption-Reservoir-Res-X2-100-Basic-pid-11996.html

Now you don't have to go with that. I've never used a res so I can't say for sure, but that's the general advice I got when I was considering a res or a t-line for my first WC build.

RE water: Filtered is probably alright, though I'm not sure exactly what that might mean. Failing that, de-ionised will do.

The 0.5mm for the pads was their thickness. They're not all equal. My 580 block needs 1.0, 1.5, and 3.0, for example.
    How do you not have a Res? is there an alternative?

thanks for the heads up on thermal pads.

the water i can get is from a chemistry lab. its filtered then de-ionized then UV sterilized so I just assumed it'll be perfect for WC, but figured I should ask first.

Oooh! It's all three, that's very cool actually, definitely go with that.

Yeah, you can use a T-line either. It's what is sounds like, and you have it next to your pump intake. You basically use a section of tube and a plug as a reservoir. It's usually cheaper because you only have to pay for the T-line fitting, a bit more tubing, and a fitting with plug for a top.

Oooh! It's all three, that's very cool actually, definitely go with that.

Yeah, you can use a T-line either. It's what is sounds like, and you have it next to your pump intake. You basically use a section of tube and a plug as a reservoir. It's usually cheaper because you only have to pay for the T-line fitting, a bit more tubing, and a fitting with plug for a top.
    Hmmm might go with that. is it easy to hide? does the T-line have to be coming off the pump?

I can get about 25L of the water a day apparently, so if you want a few litres im sure i could make a plan. that goes for any of ye actually, you've all been great help.

Cheers, I might very well take you up on that.

And it doesn't have to come right out of the pump, but it's usually easier to have it that way. Sorry about the crap quality, but this is how mine are done, to give you an idea:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75546740&postcount=850

A res is probably a bit cleaner, neater, etc. I've been thinking about using one the next time I rebuild my loop, just because a T-line can be a little messy.

Cheers, I might very well take you up on that.

And it doesn't have to come right out of the pump, but it's usually easier to have it that way. Sorry about the crap quality, but this is how mine are done, to give you an idea:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75546740&postcount=850

A res is probably a bit cleaner, neater, etc. I've been thinking about using one the next time I rebuild my loop, just because a T-line can be a little messy.
    yea i think ill stick with a res. i want as clean a look as i can get.

• Advertisement

Have you decided on the final parts yet?

Advertisement