Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog run over - who to report driver to?

• 19-04-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, sorry, I'm fairly new to this and was hoping someone might be able to help.

I dont know what to do - I was in a taxi that run a small dog over in the Kilbarrack area. The taxi would not stop or let me out (despite me shouting at him to stop, and I couldnt get out of a moving car). The dog looked as if its back legs were broken, it was absolutely heartbreaking. There were people in the area and I can only hope his owners were nearby and able to help.

My question is who can I report the taxi driver to? His attitude was that it was the owners fault and nothing to do with him - is there any responsibility on the person driving to stop the car to make sure the dog is ok??

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Did he delibarately run the dog over ?? ...or did the dog run out ?

If it's the latter he sadly might not have had much chance to do anything, and yes, it is the owner's responsibility not to have their dog running about in the street off the leash.

Very sad thing to happen, and yes, the driver is a wretch for not stoppping. If nothing else you could report him to the taxi regulator as he refused to terminate the journey at your request ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can file a report with the Gardai. Although sadly dogs are only considered property, any driver involved in a road incident which results in damage to another person's property, is obliged to stop and give his details to the property owner, or failing that to a Garda or other impartial person.
    In any case if no Garda is present, the incident must be reported to them.

Failure to do so is effectively a hit and run.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_accidents.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Bus drivers can't let you alight unless it is safe to do so, I imagine it is the same for taxi drivers.

Did the dog come out onto the road suddenly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Unfortunately dogs are only regarded as property in the eyes of the law but you could file a complaint with the Gardaí as seamus has said because he effectively damaged someone's property and failed to give his details. Even if he was unable to avoid hitting the dog, he should have stopped, any decent person would do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thats just terrible. Perhaps you could ring the company he works for (if thats the case) and tell them you were sickened by his attitude etc....and you wont be giving them business again?

Theres probably no point reporting that to the guards as - (as other post pointed out) he will just say it wasnt safe to stop or some excuse of that nature. I am not aware of a law that states you must stop to help a dog you run over - unless you could manage to get him a telling off from authority for knowingly allowing a dog to suffer?

The laws in this country are awful regarding animals - it breaks my heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Bus drivers can't let you alight unless it is safe to do so, I imagine it is the same for taxi drivers.

Did the dog come out onto the road suddenly?

Yeah but buses have set stops, a taxi which is being paid to bring the OP to where they want and if they requested he stop he should have (at the first available oportunity). I'd call it into the Gardai, just in case the owner if there is one is trying to find who is responsible. It's unlikely, but couldn't hurt.
    This story breaks my heart- I hate people who hit animals and don't stop to check on them. It's just something I could never do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

bubblefett wrote: »
    This story breaks my heart- I hate people who hit animals and don't stop to check on them. It's just something I could never do.

+1. How anyone can be cruel to animals is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Davy1020

He has to be reported !!!! He should have stopped when you requested him to, he should have stopped anyway himself the heartless ****** . I would report him tot he guards and to the company he works for. Made me so angry reading this !!!

Advertisement