Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping track of exchange rates

• 19-04-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if Bank of Ireland would be able to tell me the exchange rate on a certain date late last year (November).

Ive just been looking over bank statements and I received a sum from England and it looks like the amount that ended up in my bank was way less than what I thought it was.

Is it possible for them to tell me the exchange rate on the day that I received the payment as I genuinely think Ive been left at least a couple of hundred short.

(Sorry if it seems like a stupid question)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi yellowcrayon,

Thanks for getting in touch. It would all depend on whether the amount was sent by the UK bank in sterling or euro. If the sum you received was sent in sterling, we can give you the conversion rate that we used. If the amount was converted to euro before it was sent, you'd have to check with the UK bank that it was transferred from.

If you let me know the date that the transaction appears on your statement I can get you the mid-rate used by Bank of Ireland on that day. That would give you a fairly close estimate of what the exchange rate would have been for the amount you received.

If you're registered with Banking365 you can contact them on 0818 365 365 and they can give you the exact exchange rate that was given for any transaction. Alternatively, your branch can check it for you.

If there's anything else I can do for you, just let me know.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

Ok thanks very much Pat.

I dont have the online banking, ive applied for it and got the letters but I just keep putting off ringing to confirm it... laziness :rolleyes:

The date was 2nd November.. and it was sent in sterling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi yellowcrayon,

It's no problem at all. The mid-rate for euro to sterling on the 2nd of November 2011 was
    0.8595. All you have to do is multiply the euro amount you received by 0.8595 and that'll give you the amount in sterling. Since it is the mid-rate that we're using here it may not be exact, but it shouldn't be too far out.

One other thing to keep in mind is that if the payer doesn't accept the charges on their side these may be deducted from the amount you receive.

Your branch can still give you the exact rate used if you want to check it with them.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

Pat, thats brilliant. Thanks very much for your help.

Advertisement