Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a business anonymously

Options
  • 19-04-2012 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

How easy is it to set up a new business either here in Ireland or in the UK and not have your name associated with the business?

For example, I am currently in employment. I have spotted a niche in a certain area and would like to set up an online business to focus on that area as I believe there is significant potential there. This business is unrelated to the sector that I'm employed in.

I would not like my employer to see that I am involved in another business as it would possibly give the impression that I'm not fully focused on my current job. I would like to keep my current job while setting up this business.

So what I'm asking: How easy is it to set up a new business anonymously (i.e. - not have my name associated with it). So if my boss came across this business and did an extensive search, would it be possible he could find out who owned the business. I would keep my name off the website and just trade under a general trading name. But what about registering with the CRO? Would my details appear under a CRO or Revenue search? Hosting and domain details. Can these things be kept private?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

Short answer is No - if you setup an Irish Company and you are a director you can be found on a CRO search.

If you trust somebody - Wife, Brother for example, you could always have them as Directors instead and not be a principle. Problem solved.

You are not obliged to declare your shareholding in the company (ownership) which is a different matter.

But really? Do you think your boss spends all day on the CRO checking out if employees are setting up businesses? Simple answer if you are "caught" - up to recently all companies required two directors. Say your brother/wife has a business and needed you for the second directorship. Legitimate answer and a lot of people are directors and listed on CRO for this reason alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

Jim101 wrote: »
    How easy is it to set up a new business either here in Ireland or in the UK and not have your name associated with the business?

For example, I am currently in employment. I have spotted a niche in a certain area and would like to set up an online business to focus on that area as I believe there is significant potential there. This business is unrelated to the sector that I'm employed in.

I would not like my employer to see that I am involved in another business as it would possibly give the impression that I'm not fully focused on my current job. I would like to keep my current job while setting up this business.

So what I'm asking: How easy is it to set up a new business anonymously (i.e. - not have my name associated with it). So if my boss came across this business and did an extensive search, would it be possible he could find out who owned the business. I would keep my name off the website and just trade under a general trading name. But what about registering with the CRO? Would my details appear under a CRO or Revenue search? Hosting and domain details. Can these things be kept private?

Any advice welcome.

I have the exact same question but for different reasons. So here is what I've found:
    1. You can form a company but it will need two directors, which can be family members.
    2. you can be 100% owner of a company without being a director of that company i.e. Just be a shareholder with a 100% shareholding. Bear in mind that shareholders and directors are two seperate roles within a company and can be occupied by different people/person.
    3. As regards your name being on submitted accounts, the short annual return (or B1s) was done away with a number of years ago for obvious reasons. You can only file the full B1 which gives full details of the shareholdings i.e. your name will be listed as a shareholder. This won't be searchable via the CRO search service.
    4. Also if you are not a director but in fact call the shots and run the company yourself as if you are a director then you may be deemed to be a "shadow director".
    5. So your boss would have to know the business name, do a search for it for filed accounts, purchase and download the latest filings and then he will see your name as a shareholder... however, the chances of him doing that are extremely slim.
    6. Yes, you can keep the domain registration private for your website and there are ways of keeping your name anonymous as regards hosting.

Advertisement