Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought a game

• 19-04-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Many years ago I bought a PC game (Half Life 2). It was a game that came along with some game distribution software called Steam. When you install the game, you create a steam account, from there you can download other games, and update your games etc.

I stopped playing (which meant, I stopped logging into my steam account) for a few years. When I did try and log back in (probably about five years ago), it gave me a message saying that they suspect my account had been hacked, please contact customer support for more information.

So I contacted them and they explained that if I give them my CD Key (software serial number) and a picture of the box, they would unlock the account for me. Basically, if I prove that I'm the actual owner of this game/serial key/account.

I told them that at the time, I couldn't find the box/serial key. We left it at that. That was five years ago, or thereabouts. The software is still used today however, even more than before.

I recently found my box, cd, serial key and even receipt for the game. I contacted them telling them this but they replied with the following:
    Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We have found activity in your Steam account related to deliberately deceptive activity over the Steam Friends network.

Per the Steam Subscriber Agreement, we have disabled your account and any games contained in it. Your account will not be reactivated.

The Steam Subscriber Agreement can be found at:
    http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

In addition to violation of contract, activities on your account may violate federal law and state law. If such activities persist, Valve reserves the right to refer the matter to authorities.

I replied with this:
    I didn't do anything..

I didn't use the account for a few years, then tried to login, got a message to say it might have been hacked and to contact you. I left it there and just recently i sent you this contact.

But I was never involved in any such activity. What proof have you got? What was done? Do you have any IP address information as I'm based in Ireland and always have been..

"If such activities persist"

I haven't accessed the account in years and years! Last time I did, I was playing Counter-Strike source a little.. but all I did was stop using the account. I didn't hear anything about this untill I tried logging in again a few years ago.

If my account was hacked, surely I can't be held responsible for that.

And they said:
    Hello Phill,

Unfortunately, we will be unable to assist you further with this issue.

They then closed the ticket.

I genuinely didn't do anything unlawful, or against the rules with this account. I wouldn't bother going to all this trouble if I did. You'll just have to take my word on this part of it.

So do you think I have any foot to stand on here? In terms of either getting my game/account unlocked, or my money back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Hey,

Many years ago I bought a PC game (Half Life 2). It was a game that came along with some game distribution software called Steam. When you install the game, you create a steam account, from there you can download other games, and update your games etc.

I stopped playing (which meant, I stopped logging into my steam account) for a few years. When I did try and log back in (probably about five years ago), it gave me a message saying that they suspect my account had been hacked, please contact customer support for more information.

So I contacted them and they explained that if I give them my CD Key (software serial number) and a picture of the box, they would unlock the account for me. Basically, if I prove that I'm the actual owner of this game/serial key/account.

I told them that at the time, I couldn't find the box/serial key. We left it at that. That was five years ago, or thereabouts. The software is still used today however, even more than before.

I recently found my box, cd, serial key and even receipt for the game. I contacted them telling them this but they replied with the following:

We have found activity in your Steam account related to deliberately deceptive activity over the Steam Friends network.

Per the Steam Subscriber Agreement, we have disabled your account and any games contained in it. Your account will not be reactivated.

The Steam Subscriber Agreement can be found at:
    http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

In addition to violation of contract, activities on your account may violate federal law and state law. If such activities persist, Valve reserves the right to refer the matter to authorities.

I replied with this:
    I didn't do anything..

I didn't use the account for a few years, then tried to login, got a message to say it might have been hacked and to contact you. I left it there and just recently i sent you this contact.

But I was never involved in any such activity. What proof have you got? What was done? Do you have any IP address information as I'm based in Ireland and always have been..

"If such activities persist"

I haven't accessed the account in years and years! Last time I did, I was playing Counter-Strike source a little.. but all I did was stop using the account. I didn't hear anything about this untill I tried logging in again a few years ago.

If my account was hacked, surely I can't be held responsible for that.

And they said:
    Hello Phill,

Unfortunately, we will be unable to assist you further with this issue.

They then closed the ticket.

I genuinely didn't do anything unlawful, or against the rules with this account. I wouldn't bother going to all this trouble if I did. You'll just have to take my word on this part of it.

So do you think I have any foot to stand on here? In terms of either getting my game/account unlocked, or my money back?

I'd be surprised if the terms and conditions you signed up for when you opened the account didn't have some sort of clause about extended inactivity. Your account has probably been deleted at this stage.

As to the first reply you got, I'd say it's a set form that gets sent to everyone and wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

So because my account was inactive for so long, I'm no longer allowed play a game I paid 55 euro for?

If you bought a DVD and didn't watch it for a few years, would it be fair that the company who you bought it off, destroyed it? :)

Ps. The game is linked to the account I registered. Without that account, the game is useless. The serial number is used by that account and cannot be used any another. I have the DVD/Box/Serial Number, but without the account, its useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If I was in your position I'd download a crack for the game but that's just me. i can't see how it would be illegal because I have paid for it already so i am not pirating the game or depriving them of any revenue. It's like making a copy of a dvd I own as a backup. They tell you it's illegal but it's not. I'm open to correction on this though.

Incidentally, the problem you mention is the main problem with Steam. As someone who has over 100 games on the thing i would be in serious bother but if you only have the half life games you should set up a new account and purchase the orange box and get all the half life stuff for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

So because my account was inactive for so long, I'm no longer allowed play a game I paid 55 euro for?

If you bought a DVD and didn't watch it for a few years, would it be fair that the company who you bought it off, destroyed it? :)

Ps. The game is linked to the account I registered. Without that account, the game is useless. The serial number is used by that account and cannot be used any another. I have the DVD/Box/Serial Number, but without the account, its useless.

Is there anything preventing you from starting a new steam account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I'd Agree with magicsean,

Get a crack for it, create a new steam account and log in that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Threaten to burn down their offices if they don't announce the next installment by the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Advertisement