Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, how do I deactivate tamper alarm??

Options
  • 19-04-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,
    I've just had internal insulation put into my flat, but now the alarm (Aritech) isn't working properly. I can't set it because it says a zone is open, when it's most definitely not open. The letter T flashes after the zone number on the control panel; apparently this means the tamper alarm has been triggered. In the online manuals I've checked, it just says to 'deactivate the tamper alarm', but it doesn't say how to do this. Help! I've paid the bxxstards already and they're not going to come back. Am nervous coz my little boy is in a room on his own way at the back of the (ground floor) flat, and I'd never hear a thing if there was a break-in. Catherine

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Catherine, you are correct there is a tamper on that zone.
    This could be a cable damaged, a bad connection or a lid on a device not fully closed.
    The only way to clear this problem is to find the error or to disconnect the tamper circuit.
    As this zone is wired duel end of line, this will involve locating the end of line resistors and closing off the tamper loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cathbabushka

hi, thanks for this reply. i'm hoping to mend this myself, so wish me luck! i'm really not too sure how i'll go about it... i'll google the night away and see what else i come up with, but your comments are v helpful. c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Let's get started so.
    What is that zone?
    How many devices are on that zone. ?

Thanks! Not sure what exactly you're asking here, because I'm a total amateur, but here goes: when I try to set it, it says 'open zone(s)', then it displays '03T (flashing), patio/bk windows'. This refers to the french doors, which I think is the source of the problem. It's either that or the connection box, which the builders opened to stop the alarm one day (I'd forgotten to give them the code). I opened it again myself this evening but couldn't see what the problem was. I'm not sure how to squeeze in the spring again -- do I simply pop the lid back on?
    The builders fiddled with the connection above the french doors (the cable was originally too short so it was extended before connecting the alarm), but there's also a window in the same room, which is in this same zone. Just those 2 are in this zone.
    I hope I've answered your questions correctly. Thanks for helping me! Catherine

Can you open each of those devices & post up some pics?
    Them being duel end of line makes it a little more complicated.

• Advertisement

Will do this in the morning. I've yet to get my new camera up and running in terms of uploading pics to my computer so this is a good excuse to get crackin on it. catherine

No Problem. Once I see them i will be able to explain which connections are for the tamper.

Hi, here are the pics. I hope they do the job. I'm all set to go, have my screwdriver and earplugs ready for action! Thanks so much for your help. Catherine

Sorry, just realised from your message that I should have opened them all before taking pics. It takes ages to upload pics (I can't seem to make them smaller) but will start on it now.

With The cover off the internal in pic1 does the panel show cabinet tamper as well?

• Advertisement

Do you mean the panel in the hall where I set the alarm? if so, yes, it says 'cabinet tamper' but i couldn't upload that pic coz i'd reached my limit. am trying to upload a pic of the connection above french doors but am having real trouble dealing with my camera. will keep trying.

here's that connection

I cant see what colour is the other side of the tamper there.
    The 2 silver connections onto the leaf switch in the middle is tamper.
    Disconnect the both of them and join them together.

thanks so much, will try this tonight, will let you know how i get on. c

Hi, here's your message:
    The 2 silver connections onto the leaf switch in the middle is tamper.
    Disconnect the both of them and join them together.

I've tried to do this but I'm a bit reluctant to make the next move because I'm not really clear as to what to do. I don't quite follow your instruction 'Disconnect the both of them and join them together'. Do I disconnect the yellow cables attached to the leaf switch and then just touch them together, then separate them and put them in their original places (having shorted/rebooted the system, or whatever)? I'm sure I'm almost there, but I don't want to screw up and blow the system. Thanks, Catherine

don't mind that last message.... i finally figured it out and did what you suggested -- disconnected the 2 metal strips and put them back together, but it's still not working. i tried it twice -- once with the siren box (not sure what it's called, the one with the spring) open, then i did the procedure again with it closed. i'll try again but am wondering is there anything else i could do?? catherine

In the siren (image 1)
    Disconnect the blue & yellow wire & join them together.
    In the junction box (image 13) disconnect the wires from each side of the leaf switch in the middle & join those 2 together.

when i disconnect the blue and yellow cables, do i join them together under one of the screws, or do i just touch them together, to clear a circuit or whatever, and then put them back in their own homes? sorry to keep asking these painstaking questions, but i don't want the whole system to blow up on me. my grandfather would be so disappointed if that happened -- he was quite a genius and invented the tipperary starter (amongst other things) for his car in the 1910s, a precursor to the ignition key, and look at me now...

Take them out & just join them together (Just twisted together to make the connection) for now. You can leave them loose . Its quite safe.

hi, i've done all that, but it's still not working. any other ideas?? sorry to take up so much of your time

• Advertisement

You will need to open the other sensors one by one and close off the tampers in the same way .

when i've done all this, do you think it'll be mended? will i need to push the reset button, for eg, or open up the main control panel and do anything there? i'd love to get it all done tonight, so will you let me know what else i need to do, if you're still online? or is this a step-by-step approach, do one thing, wait to see what happens?? i'm clueless, as i'm sure you've noticed.... thanks very much indeed, your help is invaluable

At the moment the only fault you are getting is tamper zone 2? yes?
    After you close off each one try & set the alarm. The panel will set if the fault is sorted.

oh dear, i'm getting confused. i thought i was meant to open each and every sensor, so i've started doing that and have joined two wires together in each one (hopefully the right ones), and closed the boxes once again. i don't know if it's necessary to close the box, so's contact can be made, after dealing with each one, and then testing the alarm. at each step i don't know what the next step will be, so it's very much trial and error at this stage.

i forgot to answer your question in your last post -- yes, it only ever says there's a problem in zone 3 (not 2). it says '03T patio/bk windows'. i've connected the wires in both the window and door in zone 3, and no luck. let me know if you have any other ideas for me to try out. apologies for all this. catherine

Can you open the main control panel & take a picture of the 6 connections at the bottom.
    Turn off the mains power first, to be on the safe side.

will do that just as soon as i sort out my laptop to upload the pics from the camera -- my desktop is broken since i loaded the software yesterday that came with this camera. i'm really not having a good time regarding technology...

i opened the main control panel about an hour ago but wasn't electrocuted -- couldn't make any sense of the wires... thanks for warning me to switch off the mains first

hi, here's the pic of the control panel. not sure what you meant by the 6 connections so i just took a general pic.

Can you move the battery away a bit and counting from the bottom disconnect the 5th & 6th connection & take a picture of the 2 connections. I think we may be able to bypass it from here.

• Advertisement

i've hit a brick wall.... managed to take the photo (was v tricky), but now i can't get the photo from my camera to the laptop. i went and connected the camera to the laptop before loading the canon cd-rom that came with the camera. i thought i could use picassa and not bother with this cd-rom, seeing as it nearly blew up my desktop y'day. now i can't get pics onto laptop at all, camera just conks out when it's connected to it. will have to get on to conns cameras on monday.

connection number 6 has one yellow cable that i unscrewed, and connection 5 below it has 2 cables in the one connection (i think) -- a thin red one and one with a thick plasticy coating on it -- peachy coloured with a few red stripes. this second cable is coming out of the clear plastic connection yoke, don't know what they're called. two cables are going into it from the other side -- blue and brown/black. basically 3 cables are free -- red, yellow and peachy, while the brown and blue are still in the plastic holder yoke, coming from the other side of it. hope that makes sense

Advertisement