Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair sees next big plane order after 2014

Options
  • 19-04-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Ryanair sees next big plane order after 2014 - RTE News
    "At some time in the next four or five years we will have a large order to make - the working assumption would be between 200 and 400 aircraft,'' he said

so orders to be placed in 2015/16 with a couple of years lead in time, so it could be 2018 or later before we see any new deliveries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Suits

Wonder if it will be more new generation 737s or the made in china A320?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Might even be a Sukhoi Superjet or an emb??

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Suits wrote: »
    Wonder if it will be more new generation 737s or the made in china A320?:D

It looks like 737MAX, A320NEO, COMAC C919 or the Irkut MS-21 with the Later two only coming into service in 2017 at the latest and neither could realistically add 200-400 aircraft to their order book for a single carrier. Maybe Bombardier or Embreaer may come up with something bigger than their current offerings

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

drdeadlift wrote: »

They are not big enough, Ryanair need aircraft with up to 200 pax

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Let's see how he manages to keep the price down - he can't get away with what he did in 2002, but I am sure he'll find a way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭zone 1

Would he use unproven jet in the market. and be the first Ginny pig.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

If he is going to order it will be put in boeing's books i would say, i cannot see him go for anything else..

The comac deal won't go through i would think, and airbus wont reason with their prices. And i also cannot see him go for the regional jets either.. Too small

Plus i have a feeling it will be before 2014

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

mayotom wrote: »
    They are not big enough, Ryanair need aircraft with up to 200 pax

Yep. The whole FR business model is based on high capacity aircraft that can be turned around quickly. The B737 is perfect for this (A320 baggage bins slow turnarounds)

Seems like FR will have to got back to Boeing in a year or two........

......unless we see faeces impact the spinning turbofan in the meantime....global economy speaking of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

How does the cheap purchase price his current fleet cost him back up his business model.And does anyone know exactly how much cheaper his current 737 cost and how much of a discount he got.How much of a back log is there in the 737 line right now and how much of a wait time will there be when and if he chooses to buy then in 2014,and how many life cycles will his current 737 have by 2014 and a possible backlog.
    If Europe is still in a **** heap over the next few years would he himself anticipate a drop in sales?

?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Priority Right

Tenger wrote: »
    Yep. The whole FR business model is based on high capacity aircraft that can be turned around quickly. The B737 is perfect for this (A320 baggage bins slow turnarounds)

A320s don't have to be used with bins. Can be loaded just like a 73.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dickerty wrote: »
    Let's see how he manages to keep the price down - he can't get away with what he did in 2002, but I am sure he'll find a way!
    He will wait for Katla to errupt and then put in a big order. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I dont see that the baggage bins for the 320s would be a problem. I understand that a certain amount of handling equipment is needed for them. However , i remember being on an A321 into LHR a few years ago, and the handlers had all the bins out well before i even got stood up to get out of my seat . So i think the bins would help the speed of a turnaround, it just depends who would have to pay for the handling equipment . Did anyone hear MOL on the George Hook show the other evening? Pure class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Has it ever leaked out or otherwise been revealed just how much ( or little ) he actually paid per aircraft in the 2002 order ?
    I heard $50 million each - is that accurate ?

Delancey wrote: »
    Has it ever leaked out or otherwise been revealed just how much ( or little ) he actually paid per aircraft in the 2002 order ?
    I heard $50 million each - is that accurate ?
    .......And does anyone know exactly how much cheaper his current 737 cost and how much of a discount he got.How much of a back log is there in the 737 line right now .......
    I had heard/read quite a while ago that the rumour was FR got a 40% discount on their order. So with a list price of $80M that sounds plausible. Not sure if that equates to "raping them" as hinted at previously by MoL.

A friend lived in Seattle at the time and she confirmed that the massive order by FR was hugely welcomed by the entire city as it was felt (rightly or wrongly) at the time there, that the aftermath of Sep 11th was going to close Boeing. This order was seen as the saving of the Boeing B737 program. (All feelings by non-aviation residents of Seattle BTW)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

40% discount would suggest that Boeing suppliers like GE , etc would been under savage pressure to pony up increased discounts to allow the order to go through ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 eitlean

Found this article.

It suggests AA are getting 50% discount on its -800s.

If you read down someone suggest Ryanair paid just $28m at the time for their 737s.

eitlean wrote: »
    Found this article.

It suggests AA are getting 50% discount on its -800s.

If you read down someone suggest Ryanair paid just $28m at the time for their 737s.
    That's some claim. I did hear (2-3 years ago) that FR were doing good business by selling on their airframes after 4-5 years at what was a profit for them but still a good price for the small airline taking them. Boeing apparently had to drop their prices to entice some airlines to take new one rather than but from FR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Tenger wrote: »
    That's some claim. I did hear (2-3 years ago) that FR were doing good business by selling on their airframes after 4-5 years at what was a profit for them but still a good price for the small airline taking them. Boeing apparently had to drop their prices to entice some airlines to take new one rather than but from FR.

So in other words so, Boeing were competing with Ryanair when selling 737's :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kub wrote: »
    So in other words so, Boeing were competing with Ryanair when selling 737's :confused:

Basically.

One of the reasons they are not willing to give anywhere near as much of a discount and why Airbus have said they'll only deal at book price and nothing lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Sounds like more BS from MOL.

He has no real options in the pipeline, Airbus and Boeing wont be suckered by him anymore.
    The Comac is unrealistic also.

The EU is targeting Ryanair and their illegal staff contracts. The net is starting to tighten on his shoddy practices so things are going to change within the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Rumour also that United Airlines is placing a bumper order with Boeing for 200 aircraft, possibly a mixture of 737NG's and 737MAX.. Was on airliners.net thread yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Delancey wrote: »
    40% discount would suggest that Boeing suppliers like GE , etc would been under savage pressure to pony up increased discounts to allow the order to go through ?

TBH I think suppliers of consumable parts like GE would be more than happy to discount just to get their equipment on the planes. Not sure if FR use GE engines on their 738s, but I'd say the cost of repair/maintenance parts for engines would dwarf the cost price of the engines over time. It's a bit like the sales model used for inkjet printers.

Boeing themselves would be harder hit on airframe discounts, but a sale's a sale.

Advertisement