Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1000 gaming PC build

Options
  • 19-04-2012 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

A friend wants to put together a gaming PC with a rough budget of €1000, no monitor included.

Would someone be so kind as to put together a build for him? He's probably gonna use http://www2.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp?lb

No real requirements apart from a DVD burner. Just looking for the most powerful build possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Thanks.

1. What is your budget? [€1000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

9. When are you purchasing? [next week]

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Thanks lads - any comment on which of the above two is better or are they much the same?

Tusky wrote: »
    Thanks lads - any comment on which of the above two is better or are they much the same?
    Just add this to Shadow's post and you're set. You asked for DVD drive specifically.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=27402&agid=699

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

They are both great builds - you will be happy with either one! SH's build has a significantly more expensive case, at the cost of a (slightly) weaker GPU.

It's personal choice I guess, but you will probably need to replace your GPU before your case, so it might be worth paying for a better case?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd go with luyolo's build myself. A fancy case is nice, but it's not strictly necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Keep in mind you'll want an after market cooler if your gonna try over clocking the CPU, which would be a crime if you didn't given the CPU and mobo in this build! http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=52671&agid=669

Also worth asking what size monitor and what resolution your friend will be playing? Those GPUs might be unnecessary overkill if it's less than single 22" monitor at 1680x1050 for example.

Also if your going for a case specifically with USB 3 you may as well stick in a Z77 mobo instead for USB 3 headers

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'd go with luyolo's build myself. A fancy case is nice, but it's not strictly necessary.

in my build you got 1tb hdd. i dont think 64gb ssd will be enough. thats where extra money went in my build, instead of gtx 680

*facepalm* Completely missed that. I'm still not sure I'd bother with the 500R to be honest. The Shinobi is a very nice case for the price, and the extra saved would just about get him a 7970.

• Advertisement

*facepalm* Completely missed that. I'm still not sure I'd bother with the 500R to be honest. The Shinobi is a very nice case for the price, and the extra saved would just about get him a 7970.

the only reason you dont like my build is because of WHITE 500R. :D

did white fella ran off with your mum m8? ;)

nah, seriously. 500R is a briliant case. comes with 4 fans as standart. looks very tidy and smart. keeps everything very cool. has very good cable managment. enough space for everything. for 40eu extra? feck i better buy a lovely case now and have it for the rest of the life, then looking for new case on my later upgrades.

if OP really wants 7970, then he can drop SSD for now and get 7970. SSD is lovely and all, but in such limited budget situations i would take best GPU i can. ( gamer to **** )

You'd spend money on a case over an SSD?! Well that's nuts. :P

We both know that case will not last anywhere near the rest of your life. I got my ATCS 840 thinking I wouldn't be upgrading it for years, and here's me considering a 600T over the Summer.

And you went and contradicted yourself! You'd take the best GPU you can, and yet you dumped €100 on a case, when a €30 one with a couple of extra fans would do fine. It's just looks, and unless you keep your rig on your desk beside you, they wear off fairly quickly.

/IMO

I take functionality over looks. I said that in threads before. As long as it looks neutral I don't care.
    I like case, it's Does all it needs. For 40 eu extra and won't need any extras.
    I listed options. Op can take whatever build he wants. He can swap case to cardboard too.

Coming from fella who suggest to spend 400eu on cooling pc

/IMO ;)

Cooling a PC is functional. It's quiet, it's very high performance. Value for performance is another matter.

All a case has to be is a box with some ventilation. That can be had for €30, or it can be had for €100.

Coming from someone who says he'd take functionality over looks. ;)

it wouldnt be so fun to build PCs, if there would not be so many different builds ;)

anyway, i would take 1tb hdd+case+better GPU over 64gb ssd as a GAMER.

SSD is lovely and all, but as a gamer it is not as functional. Yes it boots up quickly. how many times i booted up my pc this week? 7 times. SSD made it quick, but i am playing games way more times then booting up my pc.
    then faster opening of browsers and media players is cute too, but i could live with 0.5seconds slower speeds.
    you cant put many games on 60gb SSDs too. if you ARE gamer, then you have more then 2 games on your PC. Steam will have to be put on hdd too anyway. ( yes you can have those movers to ssd, but even then you can put just bare minimum of games on it)
    as a gamer:
    better initial case with extra cooling and no additional cost on cooling is better choice.
    better gpu will always be a factor to gamer ( if he does drop ssd and goes 7970)
    1tb hdd is needed, simple as that. ( though i think it was just initial feck up and missed hdd, but when you count in hdd price will be over 1100eu )

Its OPs build and from every little advice he gets he can polish the build he wants and not just go for one of suggested builds.

*400eu on pc cooling is still not very functional in my opinion, sorry :D

p.s.

corsair 500R is 90quid, shinobi 50quid + 4 fans = 80-90eu

so why not to take the whole 500R then?

€400 of cooling is extremely functional. Find me any other cooling that'll keep a 5.0GHz 2500K at 60°C, and a 680 at 50°C, all while making virtually no noise. As for value, that's another story, but something entirely separate.

As for the gaming argument, I'd go for a better GPU and sacrifice the case, is all I'm saying. I'm going to leave it at that before I decide to walk over there and slap some sense into you. :P

€400 of cooling is extremely functional. Find me any other cooling that'll keep a 5.0GHz 2500K at 60°C, and a 680 at 50°C, all while making virtually no noise. As for value, that's another story, but something entirely separate.

As for the gaming argument, I'd go for a better GPU and sacrifice the case, is all I'm saying. I'm going to leave it at that before I decide to walk over there and slap some sense into you. :P

i already let you run away with overpriced water cooling! :p

You let me run away with water cooling? I don't follow.

This discussion has escalated greatly. :pac:

• Advertisement

You let me run away with water cooling? I don't follow.

watercooling does not mean you will get 5.0ghz and super huge overclocks on GPU. The primary function on it will be lower noise and cooler.

Overclokings most important part is how lucky you got on silicon lottery. Tempratures can be very low, but if your card does not take more then it can, it wont matter even if you will have it run -30 degrees.
    i have seen many watercooled GPUs, which have very low tempretures, but feck all overclocking.

my GTX 570 got stable clocks of 840mhz, from 740mhz. above that it was unstable or with higher clock it was performing worse then lower stable clocks. tempretures? newer went above 68 with fans barely breaking sweat, which is fantastic for gtx 570 air cooling. if i put it on water it wont overclock better. it will be cooler, but not faster. noise wont be different anyway as it was a ver silent cooler.

spending 400eu on water cooling, to be able overclock is madness. specially when you dont NEED 5ghz CPU. Nobody said that cpu and GPU will even handle those overclocks due to silicon lottery. with CPU and GPU loop watercooling will still be a bit more silent then air, but is it 400eu silent?

400eu in that situation can do way better and give so much more power, which will be fact, and not " will it go that far? " guessing game.

SOrry OP, total off-topic.

Advertisement