Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tripod for Sony Handycam...on a budget!

• 19-04-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent tripod for a Sony Handycam - it doesn't need to be a high-end professional piece of equipment, just something that will enable me to do the job.

It's going to be used to video football games from an elevated vantage point so I guess it needs to be able to move up and down as well as left and right.

Any recommendations very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

What's your budget?

I'd be quite weary of cheap tripods, they tend to be universally useless. I went through so many of them before spending about 500 quid on a decent one. It'll do me for years to come though, guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Thanks - well, to be honest, I'm not looking at anything approaching €500!

I did a bit of rooting about and found a couple of Velbon tripods (Sherpa 200R & Ultra Rexi) which were cheap, compact and there seemed to be generally positive comments about them online.

Know anything about them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Oh I know, each to their own of course. What is your budget though?

I'd highly recommend a Manfrotto 701HDV head and some sticks if you can throw down about €200... a quick search yields this kit on eBay, you may even get it cheaper elsewhere.

If it seems expensive now, trust me, it'll save you money in the long run as throwing 80-100 euro on a tripod now will almost certainly break with extended use. And you won't get a decent fluid head for that price so the performance will be crap too even before it breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

m83 wrote: »
    Oh I know, each to their own of course. What is your budget though?

I'd highly recommend a Manfrotto 701HDV head and some sticks if you can throw down about €200... a quick search yields this kit on eBay, you may even get it cheaper elsewhere.

If it seems expensive now, trust me, it'll save you money in the long run as throwing 80-100 euro on a tripod now will almost certainly break with extended use. And you won't get a decent fluid head for that price so the performance will be crap too even before it breaks.

Thanks a million - much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I use this for stills and video work. Change the head to suit the application naturally. It was a good investment.

http://www.manfrotto.com/058b-triaut-camera-tripod-black

This head for video work with the tripod. Hasn't let me down yet :)

http://www.manfrotto.com/manfrotto-503-series-head

• Advertisement
Advertisement