Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA club in Cork City

Options
  • 19-04-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently moved to Cork city and I'm thinking of joining a GAA club here, I play senior/intermediate standard in Dublin (football).

Anyone recommend a good club? I've heard good things about st Finbarrs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Eh...nemo

/Thread (as ignorant people say on boards)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Hi,

Recently moved to Cork city and I'm thinking of joining a GAA club here, I play senior/intermediate standard in Dublin (football).

Anyone recommend a good club? I've heard good things about st Finbarrs?

Thanks

What area roughly are you living in op? Several decent clubs in the city and surrounding areas. Douglas, Ballincollig, Bishopstown, Carrigaline in the suburbs and beyond. The likes of Nemo, Finbarrs and a few decent intermediate and junior teams in the city.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It really depends on where you live. Given your location the choice would be much easier. There are several clubs in and around the city at Senior level in one or both codes. Several of the intermediate clubs are of a high standard aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Apologies for the delay in replying, I live near the university, about equidistant between Na Piarsaigh on the northside and St Finbarrs on the southside.

I know a Na piarsaigh man so was going to join them but I don't think that they are that big into football - I'd like a good standard of training as I want to try to improve my game.

I don't know anyone in St Finbarrs to be honest, I just heard that they were a well run club.

Many thanks for all the replies so far and I'm grateful for the advice/comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Gotta be the Barrs
    Most prestigous club in Ireland
    Only club in Ireland to win All Irelands in football and hurling.
    Even got to both finals in the same year (early 80s).
    Club of Jimmy Barry-Murphy

Superb facilities

Na Piarsigh is good too but not in the same league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If you're close to the Barrs and want to play to a high standard then I'd look at the Barrs

That said St.Michaels are on the up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Gotta be the Barrs
    Most prestigous club in Ireland
    Only club in Ireland to win All Irelands in football and hurling.
    Even got to both finals in the same year (early 80s).
    Club of Jimmy Barry-Murphy

Superb facilities

Na Piarsigh is good too but not in the same league

Also the club of Donal O'Grady, Gerald McCarthy, John Allen, Michael Shields and Ger Cunningham, to name but a few. For anyone living around the college (but not playing for UCC) it's a no-brainer. We've even integrated some Dubs into the club already - the minor football coach is a former Kilmacud Crokes man.
    Please note: St Finbarrs does not want any Dub hatchet men coming down here taking our women and desecrating our beautiful free-flowing football style with their pulling and dragging. No donkeys need apply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Na Piarsiagh is more hurling than football I think (the hAilpin brothers! :))

Barrs, Ballincolling or Douglas might be more your speed...

Gotta mention the 'Barrs as hubby's grandfather hurled and played football for them. Won a couple of County medals:p

Advertisement