Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicken or egg first mystery - SOLVED!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I figured that out years ago when I was 13, the answer is the egg came first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Good, now we can get onto the important questions like why did the chicken cross the road? and how do they get the figs in fig rolls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

1 you could have told me 2 it was the chicken :confused:

Good, now we can get onto the important questions like why did the chicken cross the road? and how do they get the figs in fig rolls

to get to the other side and a giant needle with fig crap in it, the bbc ran a story a few weeks ago :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

But I like eggs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

davet82 wrote: »
    it was the chicken :confused:

It was the egg - hens evolved from other animals that laid eggs.
    why did the chicken cross the road?

To get to the other side
    i.e it would die crossing the road and so reach "the other side"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

2 it was the chicken :confused:

That's what the Sri Lankan Daily Mirror concluded, but it was wrong. Eggs were around long before chickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"The chick is fully formed and healthy, although the mother has died"

Guess what's for dinner.

1 you could have told me 2 it was the chicken :confused:

The egg came from an animal that wasn't quite a chicken.The animal in the egg was the first chicken.

Why the fcuk didnt anybody tell me this? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

crap story is crap.

Egg came first, a tiny mutation from the bird (99.9999999% chicken) that laid it. Duh.

Africa wrote: »
    crap story is crap.

smelly heads are smelly... :rolleyes:

anyways i apologise, i thought it was a mystery :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't get why people are always on a bout chiken/egg... What about the lizards that came before the chicken?

Don't get why people are always on a bout chiken/egg... What about the lizards that came before the chicken?

thats just opening up a can of worms... or in this case lizards or maybe eggs or possibly chickens ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

It really doesn't solve the mystery though does it?

The chick was still incubated inside an egg, just because the egg wasn't laid doesn't mean it didn't exist. Now if the chick was born with no egg at all maybe then.....

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    It really doesn't solve the mystery though does it?

The chick was still incubated inside an egg, just because the egg wasn't laid doesn't mean it didn't exist. Now if the chick was born with no egg at all maybe then.....

at the risk of being unpopular just say the egg :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ask Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The Ecken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 elasticspastic

smash wrote: »
    "The chick is fully formed and healthy, although the mother has died"

Guess what's for dinner.

A fully formed and healthy chick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Which came first??? D'uh!

No amount of tickling can turn an egg on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

"The ultimate hypothetical question (which came first, chicken or egg) is quite simply solved in realizing that eggs have been laid for millions of years before chickens started, and then presumably a species gradually evolved and laid the egg that became the first chicken."

-Stephen Fry

"The ultimate hypothetical question (which came first, chicken or egg) is quite simply solved in realizing that eggs have been laid for millions of years before chickens started, and then presumably a species gradually evolved and laid the egg that became the first chicken."

-Stephen Fry

Locked. Thats it in a nutshell.

Next; which came first...the nut or the shell??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 singathim

The real anwser to this age old question is they came into existance at the same moment.
    You have to use your dual thought to understand it.
    Everything is a duality. Just look at men and women? which came first? the women or the man?
    The answer is they came at the same moment.
    You cant work it out in a singular state of thought. Open your mind and realise that all is one and everything is a duality in life.

singathim wrote: »
    The real anwser to this age old question is they came into existance at the same moment.
    Everything is a duality. Just look at men and women? which came first? the women or the man?
    You cant work it out in a singular state of thought. Open your mind and realise that all is one and everything is a duality in life.

very good, where did you copy and paste that from? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Now I'm no fancy city lawyer (hooks thumbs in braces) but it depends on what you mean by the question.

Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. These changes and mutations only have an effect at the point where a new zygote is created. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken. That one zygote cell divided to produce the first true chicken.

Prior to that first true chicken zygote, there were only non-chickens. The zygote cell is the only place where DNA mutations could produce a new animal. Before chickens evolved(some 8,000 years ago) there were the Red Jungle Fowl which is the creature that created the chicken. This was a type of chicken in itself I suppose. So what came before that etc. was the first chicken born from an egg or was it born life and laid an egg. So the first official "chicken" pecked its way out of an egg laid by a bird that was not-quite-a-chicken. Depending on how you look at it, the wild chicken--came first. Before that and before that etc would lead us to a time before dinosaurs and the true ancestors of chicken did not lay eggs.
    How far back must we go, it all depends on what you mean, technically the answer is the chicken if you go all the way back.
    Scientists say eggs, evolved more than 1 billion years ago, in the oceans of Earth. When land animals evolved about 250 million years ago, their eggs had a tough covering to retain moisture on dry land. Egg-layers like amphibians, reptiles, and insects flourished. The first "land eggs" pre-dated chickens by about 250,000,000 years.
    So "the egg" may be one answer to the old riddle, but here's another, if a little longer: The chicken came after the bird, the bird came after the dinosaur, the dinosaur came after the egg. And the egg came long after the first single-celled bacteria, the prokaryotes, evolved in the oceans, some 3.5 billion years ago. So I think it depends on whether somebody means eggs in general, chicken eggs, chickens or the chickens ancestors

This is good weed, man. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 singathim

Copied from my brain and pasted with my fingers.

very good, where did you copy and paste that from? ;)

Hmm...the copy or the paste? The paste cant happen without the copy...the copy is no good without the paste...

Now I'm no fancy city lawyer (hooks thumbs in braces) but it depends on what you mean by the question.

Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. These changes and mutations only have an effect at the point where a new zygote is created. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken. That one zygote cell divided to produce the first true chicken.

Prior to that first true chicken zygote, there were only non-chickens. The zygote cell is the only place where DNA mutations could produce a new animal. Before chickens evolved(some 8,000 years ago) there were the Red Jungle Fowl which is the creature that created the chicken. This was a type of chicken in itself I suppose. So what came before that etc. was the first chicken born from an egg or was it born life and laid an egg. So the first official "chicken" pecked its way out of an egg laid by a bird that was not-quite-a-chicken. Depending on how you look at it, the wild chicken--came first. Before that and before that etc would lead us to a time before dinosaurs and the true ancestors of chicken did not lay eggs.
    How far back must we go, it all depends on what you mean, technically the answer is the chicken if you go all the way back.
    Scientists say eggs, evolved more than 1 billion years ago, in the oceans of Earth. When land animals evolved about 250 million years ago, their eggs had a tough covering to retain moisture on dry land. Egg-layers like amphibians, reptiles, and insects flourished. The first "land eggs" pre-dated chickens by about 250,000,000 years.
    So "the egg" may be one answer to the old riddle, but here's another, if a little longer: The chicken came after the bird, the bird came after the dinosaur, the dinosaur came after the egg. And the egg came long after the first single-celled bacteria, the prokaryotes, evolved in the oceans, some 3.5 billion years ago. So I think it depends on whether somebody means eggs in general, chicken eggs, chickens or the chickens ancestors

This is good weed, man. :pac:

sorry you lost me at zygote :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Copied from my brain and pasted with my fingers.

bloody cyborgs posting on boards again i see :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Wh... Who... What? "use your dual thought"? Do I need to get me some wacky tobacky for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Bollox if you really think God would sit on an egg for 3months or so, you need your head examined, of course he created he chicken to do that for him. See logical.

44leto wrote: »
    Bollox if you really think God would sit on an egg for 3months or so, you need your head examined, of course he created he chicken to do that for him. See logical.

An animal that wasn't quite a chicken laid the egg.

a C hicken then :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Now if we could only find Jimmy Hoffa

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Quite an interesting approach to this great philosophical and scientific question, I suppose another animal with the same genus type as a chicken, till it became so far removed then it became a chicken and a separate genus type.

The dinosaur came first followed by either a chicken or an egg!

The dinosaur came first followed by either a chicken or an egg!

yeah but what came first the dinosaur or the egg :confused:

yeah but what came first the dinosaur or the egg :confused:
    The big bang! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Poor hen. :(

(Words I never thought I'd type)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

Father still doesn't pay chick maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

Chicks are sexy. . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Was this ever really a mystery?

Advertisement