Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are French manicures "out"?

• 19-04-2012 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I usually have a French manicure during the week, but often diversify to coloured nails at weekends or for certain occassions. However, very few people seem to have them anymore, it seems to be all about statement nails; what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I usually have a French manicure during the week, but often diversify to coloured nails at weekends or for certain occassions. However, very few people seem to have them anymore, it seems to be all about statement nails; what are your thoughts?

Statement nails seem to be all the rage now but I think the classic French manicure is very elegant. You can get away with that in all situations but you can't really get away with leopard print nails in the office, can ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Yeah colours are big but a french manicure is something that always looks lovely and I wouldn't give a toss about whether it was deemed fashionable or not at the mo':D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My mam always has a French manicure and I think it looks really nice. I don't think it's out, I mean it's just "your nails, but better"! I like it, classy and elegant would be my sentiments on it. I don't think it's something that can go out. It's the nail equivalent of jeans or a little black dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I just saw a Lisa Eldrige tutorial on revamping the french manicure. She was saying that it's out of fashion and my heart sank! I think it's so elegant and clean looking! In the tutorial she used a colour instead of white for the tips. Was alright but not a patch on the traditional one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I love the french manicure. I thought they were having a bit of a revival now that Shellac is around as you can have it for longer and it's easier to get the shape right with the gel.

I think maybe long gel nail french manicures are less in and people are going for more natural nails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Pythia wrote: »
    I love the french manicure. I thought they were having a bit of a revival now that Shellac is around as you can have it for longer and it's easier to get the shape right with the gel.

I think maybe long gel nail french manicures are less in and people are going for more natural nails.

I agree the obvious long French nails are out but clean discrete French manicures will always be in

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Pythia wrote: »

Yeah I wouldn't be a fan of the big white tips you see on some gel nails. A natural length and small white tip is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Completely agree with the above three posts. I think French manicures have nearly been ruined by the ridiculously long and sharp looking acrylic or gel nails. I think the classic natural French manicure with a round or square-with-rounded-edges is timeless. It's also by far the most versatile manicure you can get!

I think the coloured tips or OTT nail art can look a bit gaudy or tacky :o Sorry, no offence to people who like them, just not my cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I think the coloured tips or OTT nail art can look a bit gaudy or tacky :o Sorry, no offence to people who like them, just not my cup of tea.

I'd have to agree! Haven't been brave enough to try coloured tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

French manicures can be nice so long as the white part isn't too white and isn't bigger than the pink part. Massive unnaturally long, snow white tips are very glamour model esque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its the long horrible ones that put people off. If they are properly done and natural like they are meant to be then they are nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A classic French manicure always looks great OP, somethink that clean and elegant can't go out of style.

My Sister is a nail technician and some ofthe styles she gets asked to do are LOL!

She once had to do a reverse French Manicure with the white on the nail and pink tips :confused: and someone else always gets them pointy like witch's nails! Glitter tips are a big thing atm as well, she practised them on me and err... I felt like a total chav tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

phasers wrote: »
    Glitter tips are a big thing atm as well, she practised them on me and err... I felt like a total chav tbh

God, I hate the glitter tips. :)

I usually get a french manicure. Its discreet and flattering and not a huge obvious disaster if you get a little chip, unlike a dark colour. I love striking colours but usually only get a colour mani for a particular event.

Novella put it very well, its like a little black dress, timeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Am a big gel fan and have always gotton white tips. Once you got 'em done, you dont have to think about them for 3 weeks! Score! And Ive even inspired a few people to go get their done. Nothing as nice as nice nails.

But last week I got them done and got red gel for a change and equally love them. All nice and shiny for at least 2 more weeks!

I think the next time I get them filled, I will get the white tips again. I paint the gel with normal nail varnish, but you have to use a darker colour so the white tips dont show through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Am a big gel fan and have always gotton white tips. Once you got 'em done, you dont have to think about them for 3 weeks! Score! And Ive even inspired a few people to go get their done. Nothing as nice as nice nails.

But last week I got them done and got red gel for a change and equally love them. All nice and shiny for at least 2 more weeks!

I think the next time I get them filled, I will get the white tips again. I paint the gel with normal nail varnish, but you have to use a darker colour so the white tips dont show through.

When I used to get gel nails I used to just get them completely plain and I'd get them to do the French manicure with nail varnish. Then whenever I got bored I could just change the colour myself. That way you don't have to worry about a big clear gap between the gel and your nail bed ad the nail grows out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I agree the obvious long French nails are out but clean discrete French manicures will always be in
    +1 I never pay attention to whats "in" anyway. I like classic styles in beauty and fashion. I hate the long chavvy looking square talons that some people have, incl glitter tips etc Theres nothing prettier than small rounded french manicured nails. Very elegant.

Advertisement