Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDFPA/GPC/IPO Rules Discussion

• 18-04-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭

Da Za wrote: »
    Think your smiley face may contradict that.

Anyway, it doesn't matter at all, no harm done.

It was a good starter fed tbh their rules really led to people leaving plus I like wraps and a monolift lol

Are wraps permitted on raw lifts in GPC?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

J-Fit wrote: »

yes:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Squat/Deadlift - Knee wraps only, no wrist wraps
    Bench - wrist wraps are fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

COH wrote: »

Squat/Deadlift - Knee wraps only, no wrist wraps
    Bench - wrist wraps are fine

I can understand the reasoning behind no wrist wraps for deads but why squats? Seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I can understand the reasoning behind no wrist wraps for deads but why squats? Seems a bit odd.

Care to explain it to me so? Because it just seems stupid to me..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

VIS VIRES wrote: »
    Care to explain it to me so? Because it just seems stupid to me..

I think he's confusing wraps with straps.

But no wrist wraps on squats is absolutely f*cking stupid, dangerous and makes no sense. There is absolutely no logical argument for it and I actually feel incredibly strongly about how stupid a rule it is because it puts lifters in needless danger.

• Advertisement

Sugar Free wrote: »

The official clarification we got was...
    knee wraps are for protection, like the wrist wraps in the bench but its not sure what purpose the wrist wraps fulfill in the squat or deadlift

COH wrote: »
    The official clarification we got was...

That is the dumbest f*cking thing Ive ever heard.

Hanley wrote: »
    That is the dumbest f*cking thing Ive ever heard.

Its the reason I absolutely 110% favour the IPO going forward. Great bunch of lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Yea, i agree, its a stupid rule, its like the made to rule for the sake of making a rule! I suppose they can now say they have a rule book :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Squatman wrote: »
    Yea, i agree, its a stupid rule, its like the made to rule for the sake of making a rule! I suppose they can now say they have a rule book :D.

There's always been a rule book I'm afraid, that's a typical zealot comment from you but I'd expect no different.

Now, the rule above I don't agree with but c'est la vie.

• Advertisement

There's always been a rule book I'm afraid, that's a typical zealot comment from you but I'd expect no different.

Now, the rule above I don't agree with but c'est la vie.

And what would my religion have to do with anything?

And what would my religion have to do with anything?

You appear to have missed my point but the idfpa does appear to be gospel of its followers, sorry I mean members.

Personally, I'm not against them one bit. Just the picture portrayed!

Nope, never failed one squat in the idfpa, 6 from 6. Now, that hasn't happened in a while.

But you seem to think the other Feds don't have the same credibilty, from your comments, which is bull****.

I've competed in all of them. GPC and IPO are miles ahead, in my opinion.

Personally, I'm not against them one bit. Just the picture portrayed!

Nope, never failed one squat in the idfpa, 6 from 6. Now, that hasn't happened in a while.

But you seem to think the other Feds don't have the same credibilty, from your comments, which is bull****.

I've competed in all of them. GPC and IPO are miles ahead, in my opinion.

Nope. never said that, nor did i mean to convey that, Id love to compete in either gpc or IPO, but dont want to lose the chance in lifting with IDFPA either.
    But from what I have read on boards is that the others arent as stringent when it comes to squat depth, a thing which I, from first hand experience know is not the case with the idfpa. The consistently and systematically fail squats which are not to depth.
    And furthermore I would not like to go to a comp and have high squats passed either.

Nope. never said that, nor did i mean to convey that, Id love to compete in either gpc or IPO, but dont want to lose the chance in lifting with IDFPA either.
    But from what I have read on boards is that the others arent as stringent when it comes to squat depth, a thing which I, from first hand experience know is not the case with the idfpa. The consistently and systematically fail squats which are not to depth.
    And furthermore I would not like to go to a comp and have high squats passed either.

Ah it's just the way I saw it.

You should come compete but I know you lose your membership there, that's such a bull**** rule tbh, hence my comments.

I've had squats not passed and some have said they looked good, not many mind you but it's happened. There's always good calls and bad calls but that's life. I've never seen lifts token gifted tbh.

Come compete and you'll see first had or even go to a meet and watch.

...another reason not to lift IDFPA. Ridiculous rule.

No fed's perfect, but one which actively seeks to exclude people from powerlifting with other federations is completely untenable in my opinion when there's other options available.

Is it still the official position that if you even show up to an IPO and GPC comp to spot/load/coach you can be banned? Or is it competitors only?

No fed's perfect, but one which actively seeks to exclude people from powerlifting with other federations is completely untenable in my opinion when there's other options available.

Is it still the official position that if you even show up to an IPO and GPC comp to spot/load/coach you can be banned? Or is it competitors only?

This....

I really dont see this rule being any good for powerlifting...if you are an active IDFPA member and are subjecting yourself to out of competition testing then you should be allowed lift wherever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Skull

Just wondering if this thread is about the weekends lifting or a platform for everybody's ignorant ramblings about the IDFPA?

Skull wrote: »
    Just wondering if this thread is about the weekends lifting or a platform for everybody's ignorant ramblings about the IDFPA?

How exactly is it ignorant?

I see plenty of ramblings against GPC/IPO as well..

But..back to discussing the weekends lifting please people.

• Advertisement

Just an example, that was never the case.
    A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Anyway I'll wait for a moderators response to my original question.

I see plenty of ramblings against GPC/IPO as well..

But..back to discussing the weekends lifting please people.

Sorry didnt see that before I replied above ,
    back on topic so, thanks.

Sorry didnt see that before I replied above ,
    back on topic so, thanks.

not a bother...

I've given them their own thread.

Care to expain the rules for us? I'd be interested to know once and for all what the story is with the IDFPA rule on other feds..

Remember...stay civil golks

Just an example, that was never the case.
    A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Anyway I'll wait for a moderators response to my original question.

So what is the rule then? Because that’s the impression I got from the proposals last year, and the thread on the IDFPA forum about it.

I’d actually be curious to hear what the official position of the IDFPA and WDFPF is about it.

not a bother...

I've given them their own thread.

Care to expain the rules for us? I'd be interested to know once and for all what the story is with the IDFPA rule on other feds..

Remember...stay civil golks

No problem I'll answer anything I can as long as the discussion is positive and constructive.
    I'll have a bit more time later as I'm at work but the crux of the whole thing is the WDFPF rule that a WDFPF member or member of its affiliate's cannot be a member of an untested federation.

So what is the rule then? Because that’s the impression I got from the proposals last year, and the thread on the IDFPA forum about it.

I’d actually be curious to hear what the official position of the IDFPA and WDFPF is about it.

There was a lot of bull**** and misinformation flying last year and lots of people got the wrong impression. Hearsay becomes fact after a couple of rounds on the internet.

There was a lot of bull**** and misinformation flying last year and lots of people got the wrong impression. Hearsay becomes fact after a couple of rounds on the internet.

This is why id like you to answer it Skull. I was looking on the IDPFA website but the rules are from 2007.

When you get a chance later your input would be appreciated.

An also on same topic,
    There was some (at least) national records broken by lifters who have also lifted with GPC last year. What is the status of this?
    Is it still a legitimate record, even though, by definition he/she should not have been allowed lift with IDFPA to begin with?

Bottom line, I think if the rule is there it should be enforced stringently.

(P.S. I think they should revoke the rule)

What are the other reasons?

• Advertisement

That rule has really increased the numbers leaving the fed and has made it a very distant, stand alone one at that.

Now, the idfpa will get a lot of up and coming young lifters joining which is a great thing but to instill that mind set from the get go can damage perceptions further.

It's a decent fed to start your lifting in, like I said earlier but the idfpa, to me, may be trying to make itself out to be the be all and end of pl in Ireland, I could wrong.

It's like in the states, where everyone that doesn't compete in the SPF is out to criticise them on everything. Blah blah blah

Lifters should be able to choose where they want to lift, end of.

Advertisement