Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDFPA/GPC/IPO Rules Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

On a slightly related topic. Got my first pair of knee wraps yesterday. To all who told me they don't get carry over from them and they're just for support I'd like to say...

You lying, cheating backstards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Da Za wrote: »
    That rule has really increased the numbers leaving the fed and has made it a very distant, stand alone one at that.

Now, the idfpa will get a lot of up and coming young lifters joining which is a great thing but to instill that mind set from the get go can damage perceptions further.

It's a decent fed to start your lifting in, like I said earlier but the idfpa, to me, may be trying to make itself out to be the be all and end of pl in Ireland, I could wrong.

It's like in the states, where everyone that doesn't compete in the SPF is out to criticise them on everything. Blah blah blah

Lifters should be able to choose where they want to lift, end of.

The SPF gets criticised because traditionally if you get under the bar and attempt a record, once you give it a half decent run, you get it. THat's shocking.

Skull wrote: »
    There was a lot of bull**** and misinformation flying last year and lots of people got the wrong impression. Hearsay becomes fact after a couple of rounds on the internet.

Is there an updated IDFPA or WDFPF rulebook available to read then?

My memory may well be hazy on this, but here’s how I remember it… So correct me if I’m wrong.

-IDFPA propses banning lifters who compete in other fed a year ahead of the WDFPF rule which will probably do the same anyway
    -This was directly after a major international WDFPF comp was supported by the GPC with spotters, loaders and equipment
    -Rumours that spotting, loading or coaching at non IDFPA events will also get you banned

Has there been an official statement on any of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

kevpants wrote: »
    On a slightly related topic. Got my first pair of knee wraps yesterday. To all who told me they don't get carry over from them and they're just for support I'd like to say...

I get loads of carry over ... I just didn't want to spoil the surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Skull

These are the main points of the WDFPF rule changes as I understand them.

You cant be a member of an untested federation and be a member of a WDFPF affilliate.

Membership runs out in December each year so it is possible to take a years break from lifting with a WDFPF affiliate but the join up again the following January. You have to commit to the WDFPF affilliate for the full year however and not lift with any untested feds as if you do you will be refused membership to the WDFPF affilliate thereafter.

You can go to untested feds comps as much as you like and spot, load support etc. There was never a rule against that.

You can train with, spot, go for walks on the beach with lifters of untested feds. There was never a rule against that.

Eg. our best lifter James O Connell trains with guys who lift in untested feds and supports them at their competitions.

I think this would cover 99% of queries for most lifters. I'm not a spokesman for the IDFPA but if anyone has any genuine queries I'll help if I can. I'm not interested in childish internet wars I dont have the time for it.

I'm off training

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

There was a lot of bull**** and misinformation flying last year and lots of people got the wrong impression. Hearsay becomes fact after a couple of rounds on the internet.

For what it's worth, any 'bull**** and misinformation' i read was on the IDFPA forum, and posted by its president! That was what stopped a lot of people lifting last year.
    There's always been a rule book I'm afraid, that's a typical zealot comment from you but I'd expect no different.

Pot, Kettle!

And that wrist wrap rule wasn't in the origninal rulebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

These are the main points of the WDFPF rule changes as I understand them.

You cant be a member of an untested federation and be a member of a WDFPF affilliate.

Membership runs out in December each year so it is possible to take a years break from lifting with a WDFPF affiliate but the join up again the following January. You have to commit to the WDFPF affilliate for the full year however and not lift with any untested feds as if you do you will be refused membership to the WDFPF affilliate thereafter.

You can go to untested feds comps as much as you like and spot, load support etc. There was never a rule against that.

You can train with, spot, go for walks on the beach with lifters of untested feds. There was never a rule against that.

Eg. our best lifter James O Connell trains with guys who lift in untested feds and supports them at their competitions.

I think this would cover 99% of queries for most lifters. I'm not a spokesman for the IDFPA but if anyone has any genuine queries I'll help if I can. I'm not interested in childish internet wars I dont have the time for it.

I'm off training

Cheers for that...If you take a years break and lift in say IPO's are you ok to then rejoin the WDFPF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Hanley wrote: »
    I think he's confusing wraps with straps.

But no wrist wraps on squats is absolutely f*cking stupid, dangerous and makes no sense. There is absolutely no logical argument for it and I actually feel incredibly strongly about how stupid a rule it is because it puts lifters in needless danger.

Maybe if I write them a little note and tell them that squatting really really hurts my little, dainty wrists....wonder if that'd work

gymfreak wrote: »
    Maybe if I write them a little note and tell them that squatting really really hurts my little, dainty wrists....wonder if that'd work

I already tried that :(

COH wrote: »
    I already tried that :(

Okay.... back to the original plan so...smile sweetly.....it's foolproof.

Thank God they only introduced that rule of day 2 of the Worlds...cos there may have been some girly tears had I to squat without them.

Oooooooooh, excellent! there's an idea...if smiliing doesnt work..go for the waterworks..im sure it'd work for you!!!

• Advertisement

Paudee wrote: »
    For what it's worth, any 'bull**** and misinformation' i read was on the IDFPA forum, and posted by its president! That was what stopped a lot of people lifting last year.

100% this!!

Seriously tho, has either the IDFPA or WDFPF rulebook been updated for these changes? If I'm going to be critical, I want to at least make sure I'm being critical of the right things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

kevpants wrote: »

280 should be there so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

On the topic of knee wraps.

Hanley, would you wrap your knees differently when lifting raw compared to equipped?

Would I be correct in saying you want a rebound effect when raw and stopping power when equipped (and rebound as well)?

For Skull or Squatman, I know there is no IPF affiliates in Ireland but could you say lift in the ipf abroad and still keep your membership in the idfpa? Considering the fact that the ipf is tested.

Would the idfpa ever break away from the wdfpa because of this rule and even try to become an affiliate of the ipf?

That may be a deciding factor in getting Hanley out of retirement!

On the topic of knee wraps.

Hanley, would you wrap your knees differently when lifting raw compared to equipped?

Would I be correct in saying you want a rebound effect when raw and stopping power when equipped (and rebound as well)?

No.

I liked my gear tight anyway. It was plenty capable of stopping me!!
    For Skull or Squatman, I know there is no IPF affiliates in Ireland but could you say lift in the ipf abroad and still keep your membership in the idfpa? Considering the fact that the ipf is tested.

Would the idfpa ever break away from the wdfpa because of this rule and even try to become an affiliate of the ipf?

That may be a deciding factor in getting Hanley out of retirement!

Dude really?! That ship sailed a good 2 years ago!! Beside I heard some stories about Irish IPF affiliation and how it's probs not ummm... Financially viable. Unsure how true that is.

Assuming you're going to crank them either way the material of the wrap as opposed to the way its wrapped will probably be the deciding factor in the stopping/rebound effect.

Hanley wrote: »
    No.

I liked my gear tight anyway. It was plenty capable of stopping me!!

Dude really?! That ship sailed a good 2 years ago!! Beside I heard some stories about Irish IPF affiliation and how it's probs not ummm... Financially viable. Unsure how true that is.

So you wrap them the same way?

I can always try, no? Lol

It would be good to see a ipf affiliate here though! May cause more dispersion though but I guess it would require a lot of members to float, financially.

COH wrote: »
    Assuming you're going to crank them either way the material of the wrap as opposed to the way its wrapped will probably be the deciding factor in the stopping/rebound effect.

Absolutely agree on this, with wrapping technique I know Ano (metal) would wrap his knees in such a way that he would ensure that the levels would be directly behind his knee, so it would be very thick in that area.

I guess it would require a lot of members to float, financially.

Ya as opposed to floating, like a boat.

Ya as opposed to floating, like a boat.

You've obviously never come across the term!

I'll sink you next time i see you!

• Advertisement

You've obviously never come across the term!

Given the context, it was implied that you meant financially.
    I'll sink you next time i see you

You wouldn't sink a squat.

Given the context, it was implied that you meant financially.

You wouldn't sink a squat.

In retrospect, this is true.......no need for me to state the obvious!

Bitches be bitchin!!

I'm going to be the bigger person here and let that slide somewhat.

Cheers for that...If you take a years break and lift in say IPO's are you ok to then rejoin the WDFPF?

Yes, but you have to commit to the WDFPF affilliate for the year on rejoining and not lift in any untested federations. If you do you wont be given membership to the WDFPF affilliate again.
    But as soon as the membership runs out you can lift with who you like again.

Yes, but you have to commit to the WDFPF affilliate for the year on rejoining and not lift in any untested federations. If you do you wont be given membership to the WDFPF affilliate again.

Are they still liable for out of comp testing during any hiatus?

Do you have to become a member to lift in a single lift meet say? Now I know you can't set records or anything. Or is it if you're already a member of an untested fed, it's a no go?

Are they still liable for out of comp testing during any hiatus?

No they aren't as they wouldn't be members of any WDFPF affiliate and not governed by their rules.

Do you have to become a member to lift in a single lift meet say? Now I know you can't set records or anything. Or is it if you're already a member of an untested fed, it's a no go?

Its a no go and I think you have to be a member for 3 months before setting any records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

I have to say, GPC info is thin on the ground. Can anyone enter nationals?

J-Fit wrote: »

Yeah anyone can enter, generally you should have your entry in before the day but most times can enter day of.

The GPC fb page is pretty good for all your info required.

The nationals are on 2 weekends this year afaik, seniors on the 23rd June- equipped, 24th June-Raw. Think junior and maybe masters nationals are the week before.

• Advertisement

J-Fit wrote: »

Facebook is the way to go for finding up to date info about competitions.

Also, anytime I emailed an enquiry I got a pretty prompt reply.

Advertisement