Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government TD blames 'fornication' for unwanted pregnancies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You don't say :rolleyes:

A Fine Gael TD said today that fornication is the "most likely cause" of unwanted pregnancies in Ireland.

Mayo TD Michelle Mulherin made the remarks during a debate on proposed abortion legislation in the Dáil.

"Abortion, as murder, therefore sin, which is the religious argument, is no more sinful, from a scriptural point of view, than all other sins we don't legislate against, like greed, hate and fornication, the latter, being fornication, I would say, is probably the single most likely cause of unwanted pregnancies in this country," she said.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/government-td-blames-fornication-for-unwanted-pregnancies-548150.html#ixzz1sUYDWzsx
    Quite a tolerant and progressive country we live in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Michelle needs a ride!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I gave that bitch a fornication, bitches love fornication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

smash wrote: »
    Michelle needs a ride!

after you :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...would say, is probably the single most likely cause of unwanted pregnancies in this country

Well I never knew you needed sex to have a baby - there ya go, I learned even more today! :D

Hang on a sec' ..."most likely" ?
    What other ways have teens and even adults being getting preggers? Playing with their (or their childs) Ken (of Barbie fame) doll?
    Bold Ken!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yeah, if you have sex with others you can make baybeees and if you leave honey in jar outside you'll attract bees .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

This ain't no child care centre and I'm certainly no child minder. Childish remarks will see you banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Fornication doesn't mean to 'have sex', it means sex between people who are unmarried. That is where the bulk of unwanted pregnancies come from.

Mod

This ain't no child care centre and I'm certainly no child minder. Childish remarks will see you banned.

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't know how anyone can be shocked or surprised by her comments. Fine Gael are a Christian Democratic party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

fornication has alot to answer for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't know how anyone can be shocked or surprised by her comments. Fine Gael are a Christian Democratic party.

Hey go easy on the 'Democratic' part there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Biggins wrote: »
    Well I never knew you needed sex to have a baby - there ya go, I learned even more today! :D

What other ways have teens and even adults being getting preggers? Playing with their (or their childs) Ken (of Barbie fame) doll?
    Bold Ken!

I'd quite like to know what the other 'likely' causes of pregnancy (wanted or unwanted) are as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Funnily enough, it's also the number one cause of wanted pregnancies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Had I known that, I wouldn't have hacked up the gooseberry bushes.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

"Look, I've boned a lot of fat chicks in my time, sure. But, as far back as I can remember, I've never fornicated anybody."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I think many of you are missing the finer points of the TDs comment. As a catholic she is correct in maintaining that fornication is only 'the most likely cause' of pregnancy. According to her beliefs, which MUST be respected it is not unheard of for ladies to get in the family way from a magic cuddle from a supernatural being...dontcha know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

:confused::confused:

Mod

If you have a question, you can PM me.

However, discuss the issue at hand. Not if the person in questions needs sex or not or comments on their appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Morlar wrote: »
    Fornication doesn't mean to 'have sex', it means sex between people who are unmarried. That is where the bulk of unwanted pregnancies come from.

That's the best time to have sex, before marriage. We all know it stops after nuptials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

...............No sh1t.
    /leaves country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

We've reached a point where Fine Gael are now telling us what to do with our mickeys and fannies. Oh what a country. :(

Waits for the Penis (dis)Charge and Fanny Pentration Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I knew it was cos of the fúckin' forniners, eating our swans , making our babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Anybody else humming Tallaghtfornication to a certain Red Hot Chili Peppers' tune?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

She reminds me of Lady Whiteadder on Blackadder when she asks if there is a party on and Edmund says no.

"Good for where there are other guests there are people to fornicate with."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Morlar wrote: »
    Hey go easy on the 'Democratic' part there.

Fair point!

Come to think of it, it doesn't seem very christian-like either to refuse somebody the right to have an abortion when giving birth is going to have a massively negative impact on their life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

She just isn't ready to rule out the stork hypothesis quite yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Anybody else humming Tallaghtfornication to a certain Red Hot Chili Peppers' tune?

No :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Thats it...

I'm for ever more now also blaming the bar-persons for getting me drunk.
    The cheek of them to take my money, serve me something I ordered and let me drink it!

I'm for ever more now also blaming the corpo for building roads, just so that I could crash on them!

I'm for ever more now also blaming me ma for existing! Had she not, I wouldn't be here!
    Geeze... the cheek of her! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Fornication doesn't necessarily lead to an unwanted pregnancy but it does raise the odds, when compared to sex between a married couple.

The TD is right that if fornication was reduced then unwanted pregnancy would be reduced too.

But she made the fatal mistake in 2012 Ireland of mentioning God and a longish word that the cool secularists remember from mass as a bad thing. Silly lady.

• Advertisement

The TD is right that if fornication was reduced then unwanted pregnancy would be reduced too.

People want to have sex. Leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Mayo eh? Trust the boggers to elect a f***ing gowl :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Fornication doesn't necessarily lead to an unwanted pregnancy but it does raise the odds, when compared to sex between a married couple.

But she made the fatal mistake in 2012 Ireland of mentioning God and a longish word that the cool secularists remember from mass as a bad thing. Silly lady.
    Ding ding!!!!! Only two pages in this time. Is this the new 'Godwin'?
    BTW unwanted pregnancy (in the way you suggest) is not the only requirement for abortion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wonder why married couples use contraception (another "sin").
    But she made the fatal mistake in 2012 Ireland of mentioning God and a longish word that the cool secularists remember from mass as a bad thing.

Cool secularists. Now there's an oxymoron. I thought they were all raging hot-under-the-collar pinko commie liberals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't worry Michelle, the rest of us outside of Limerick tend to use condoms and other methods of contraception while getting our fornicatin' on so it's not really a problem.

Absolutely. 100% agree.

But they can't abort a potential result of that. That, I don't agree with.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I wonder why married couples use contraception (another "sin").

Because they don't want to have babies. If single people having sex don;t want to have babies they should probably use contraception too. What does this have to do with my statement?? Fornication raises the odds of having an unwanted pregnancy.

Exactly. Maybe if we had abortion we have a lot less kids whose parents couldn't really give a sh*t running around turning into feral children. Harsh, but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Don't forget immaculate conception.

That happens. God is a fecker for it. Going around having babies and then not even being around to raise the child. Scandalous :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'd quite like to know what the other 'likely' causes of pregnancy (wanted or unwanted) are as well...

Sitting on a public toilet seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Michelle needs a ride!

A really, really good one too ;)

• Advertisement

BTW unwanted pregnancy (in the way you suggest) is not the only requirement for abortion

No - an abortion can be for medical reasons too. I think we all get that.

As I said fornication just raises the odds of having an unwanted pregnancy (as compared to sex within marriage). The actual reason the baby may be unwanted could be anything from - I can't afford it, I want to be older when I have kids, I don't want to do it alone, etc, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

token101 wrote: »
    Exactly. Maybe if we had abortion we have a lot less kids whose parents couldn't really give a sh*t running around turning into feral children. Harsh, but true.

Doubt it. People who don't give a shít won't think of something responsibly or the outcome of their (in)actions.

But they can't abort a potential result of that. That, I don't agree with.

Doesn't really matter what you agree with. It's not your baby or your body.

Yeah - that's the "Freakonomics theory". http://www.freakonomics.com/2005/05/15/abortion-and-crime-who-should-you-believe/

I suspect its at least partially true. Abortion does lead to a decrease in crime rates. But does that mean we should legalise it?

Jailing for life anyone who drops out of school before the junior cert might also cut crime rates - does that mean we should do it?

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Fornication ≠ all sex

Google it.

Doesn't really matter what you agree with. It's not your baby or your body.

A teenager shot in the back in Syria isn't my baby or body either. That doesn't mean I can't object to it.

Doubt it. People who don't give a shít won't think of something responsibly or the outcome of their (in)actions.

UK abortions cost money. The people that don't give a sh*t can't afford it a lot of the time. I'd rather give them the option of a termination rather than them dragging up some poor unfortunate kid in some sh*thole environment, only that cycle to continue endlessly, draining SW from society and the criminal justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You don't say :rolleyes:

george bush must be his hero.....sounds like the poppycock he comes out with :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

No - an abortion can be for medical reasons too. I think we all get that.

As I said fornication just raises the odds of having an unwanted pregnancy (as compared to sex within marriage). The actual reason the baby may be unwanted could be anything from - I can't afford it, I want to be older when I have kids, I don't want to do it alone, etc, etc.

From a medical perspective, women don't need to leave the country for an abortion. FACT. Medical abortions are abortion where medication is used end the pregnancy. This debate isn't about this.

UK abortions cost money. The people that don't give a sh*t can't afford it a lot of the time. I'd rather give them the option of a termination rather than them dragging up some poor unfortunate kid in some sh*thole environment, only that cycle to continue endlessly, draining SW from society and the criminal justice system.

Aye, I understand where you were coming from. All I was saying is having the option doesn't mean they'll take it up though. I wasn't thinking of the cost involved to get it done either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement