Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skinny dog

• 19-04-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

My dog Nala is 14 months. Her mom was a bull mastiff and her dad was supposedly an arctic wolf. I don't want to get into the whole wolf thing but he wasn't a white German shepherd and he was much bigger than any malamute/husky I've seen. So basically both her parents were big dogs.

She is in day care 5 days and very active at the weekend on the beach, at the bog etc. So she gets more exercise than most dogs. I was feeding her burns and then natures menu and now raw for the last month or so. I feed her more than what's recommended for her weight but I still can't get her to gain weight. I'm sick of people commenting on how skinny she is and asking if I feed her anything.

Another thing is she eats other dogs poo. The daycare are great and try and clean it up before she gets to it but she's so quick and the leave it command only works sometimes.

She was spayed in October and weighed 26kg she was weighed again about a month ago and was 28kg. Vet was surprised she hadn't gained more but didn't really say much. I'm on my phone so don't know how to post photo but you can see her ribs and she looks kinda lanky.

The dog trainer I spoke to mentioned getting a blood test done because sometimes dogs eat poo because their bodies don't absorb food properly. I am bringing her to the vet next week for her booster vaccine so was wondering if I should ask for bloods to be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

What worming schedule do you have in place? Eating poo is called coporphagia and can sometimes indicate a worm infestation.

Go to your vet and get a good worm treatment. Also get a full check up to make sure there is no underlying condition that could be causing the weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

She's regularly wormed, I'm very careful about that because she does eat poo. I bring her to the vets to get the wormer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm very much looking forward to seeing a photo of your dog Nala!
    It could be that she is at the gangly, lanky stage of growth, and the coprophagia is not a health-related issue. Hopefully this is all it is.
    But, definitely get bloods done: you've got two big symptoms of a malabsorption problem going on there (no weight gain despite excess feeding, and coprophagia).
    You've got to rule it out before you go any further I think.
    Will you let us now how you get on.. and don't forget the photo! :o

Advertisement