Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIG Phil's inflammatory remarks

Options
  • 19-04-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Check out this weeks edition of the News & Star.
    Front page story of Big Phil being mobbed by protestors,
    He was quoted saying "isn't it a typical response for a Kilkenny man coming to Waterford"

What kind of small minded ****e is that for a minister to come out with.

Does he not realise that there is a constant stream of Kilkenny ppl coming over the bridge every morning.
    One has to wonder if that's attitude of a minister does that have a knock on effect and decisions at cabinet level are influenced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Nypd wrote: »
    He was quoted saying "isn't it a typical response for a Kilkenny man coming to Waterford"

Does he not realise that there is a constant stream of Kilkenny ppl coming over the bridge every morning.
    One has to wonder if that's attitude of a minister does that have a knock on effect and decisions at cabinet level are influenced.

for a big man, his brain must be the size of a pea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It was obviously said in jest, but Jaysus he picked a bad time to joke!
    If ever someone needs a lesson in PR!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

inews090310_08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

He is the new BIFFO for sure, BIFFK. I think there could be more to it though, it is a good distraction. Get people talking about this instead of all the extra taxes he is imposing on us. It is a pretty typical tactic from the government.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A lot of people would agree with him if the trolling deise to do towards the cats in anything to go by :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Sully wrote: »
    A lot of people would agree with him if the trolling deise to do towards the cats in anything to go by :p

Ah come on Sully, it's a bit of banter on here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well, I wasn't talking about just here but a good chunk of what iv dealt with on Boards over the years was not banter.

The Minister was clearly joking but everybody is convinced, even before he was placed as a Minister, that he was anti-waterford. Why? Because he was a Kilkenny TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It's easy to say "sure it's only a bit of banter" but the amount of shit posted by some Waterford posters towards Kilkenny is unreal. Some people actually seem genuinely upset at the merest suggestion that Kilkenny is a city (it is) and lets not forget outrage a few years ago about the county boundary. There's nothing like a mention of Kilkenny to get Waterford people worked up. Of course it was a stupid thing for him to say but you can't expect anything better from an Irish politician.

The worst thing about it is that it's completely one-sided (or at least it was when I was growing up).

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Adyx wrote: »
    Some people actually seem genuinely upset at the merest suggestion that Kilkenny is a city (it is)

Ah that's an age old thing to upset the good folk in Kilkenny. A quick glance at the latest Census (from the other topic) and it seems to support those arguing that its not, which is good enough for me to wind people up with until proven otherwise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It's easy to say "sure it's only a bit of banter" but the amount of shit posted by some Waterford posters towards Kilkenny is unreal. Some people actually seem genuinely upset at the merest suggestion that Kilkenny is a city (it is) and lets not forget outrage a few years ago about the county boundary. There's nothing like a mention of Kilkenny to get Waterford people worked up. Of course it was a stupid thing for him to say but you can't expect anything better from an Irish politician.

The worst thing about it is that it's completely one-sided (or at least it was when I was growing up).

Ordinarily, when there's a dispute, like "how many continents are there?" or "in what year was hitler born?", the wonderful power of the internet puts an immediate end to the matter by exposing the facts. Not so in this case apparently. The fact of the matter is that Kilkenny does not have a city council -- which is the only sense in which cities exist in modern Ireland -- but it is allowed the ceremonial usage of 'city', as in Kilkenny city. These are the facts, according to the local government act a decade ago. (An Irish solution to an Irish problem, since it allows local government structures to reflect population, whilst giving Kilkenny room for self-serving interpretations of the act.) If this was how the disagreement was framed, I'd say fair enough, but every time this comes up, we have rubbish about cathedrals and charters and kings and populations and hurling and "there is only one city anyway" and "Waterford is not a city" and "shopping in Waterford is crap" and on and on... Maybe not this time though! ;)

So, there's nothing to get upset about apart from irrelevant arguments. Kilkenny is free to market itself as a city if it wants, but it has the local government designation of a town (basically -- still some funky council designations knocking about, like borough councils).

As to the boundary issue. Well, "Nazis looking for Lebensraum" in the Kilkenny People. Need I say more? Incidentally, I have tried to find that article since, on the web, with no success. Funny that. In an ideal world, cities would be given a decent chunk of surrounding hinterland in the city council area, so it would never have to deal with the corrupt muck savage councillors in the neighbouring county councils and their thieving of suburb revenues and petty parochial power games -- such as responding to bid for a boundary extension by declaring Ferrybank a town in its own right and allowing an oversized shopping centre to be built.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    Ordinarily, when there's a dispute, like "how many continents are there?" or "in what year was hitler born?", the wonderful power of the internet puts an immediate end to the matter by exposing the facts. Not so in this case apparently. The fact of the matter is that Kilkenny does not have a city council -- which is the only sense in which cities exist in modern Ireland -- but it is allowed the ceremonial usage of 'city', as in Kilkenny city. These are the facts, according to the local government act a decade ago. (An Irish solution to an Irish problem, since it allows local government structures to reflect population, whilst giving Kilkenny room for self-serving interpretations of the act.) If this was how the disagreement was framed, I'd say fair enough, but every time this comes up, we have rubbish about cathedrals and charters and kings and populations and hurling and "there is only one city anyway" and "Waterford is not a city" and "shopping in Waterford is crap" and on and on... Maybe not this time though! ;)

So, there's nothing to get upset about apart from irrelevant arguments. Kilkenny is free to market itself as a city if it wants, but it has the local government designation of a town (basically -- still some funky council designations knocking about, like borough councils).

As to the boundary issue. Well, "Nazis looking for Lebensraum" in the Kilkenny People. Need I say more? Incidentally, I have tried to find that article since, on the web, with no success. Funny that. In an ideal world, cities would be given a decent chunk of surrounding hinterland in the city council area, so it would never have to deal with the corrupt muck savage councillors in the neighbouring county councils and their thieving of suburb revenues and petty parochial power games -- such as responding to bid for a boundary extension by declaring Ferrybank a town in its own right and allowing an oversized shopping centre to be built.

Thank you for proving my point so well. Kilkenny city is just a name because it doesn't have a city council? Some crap article in a local rag? (you'd never see that in the Munster!) Who the fuck cares? Only Waterford people.

The only explanation for Waterford people's obsession with Kilkenny that I can see is that they're jealous or something.

Sully was wrong about Waterford posters trolling the Kilkenny posters, Kilkenny seems to be trolling Waterford simply by existing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

While I agree with the majority of your post..I read somewhere the other day that Ferrybank/ Slieverue has a population of 8000 which suggests the shopping Centre is hardly oversized and contrary to popular belief is badly needed in the area.

One more thing that’s needed in Ferrybank is the removal of the Duel Carriage way running through the Centre of the village. The City Council should buy part of the Bus depot and run the road through there, pedestrianize the area where the Bookies and Spar shop is with seating and ample parking and create a focal point for the community.

No excuse now the new motorway is in place no need for a duel carriageway anymore it will be an excuse to get people to use the new roads and make them by-pass Ferrybank which is effectively what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

He is the new BIFFO for sure, BIFFK. I think there could be more to it though, it is a good distraction. Get people talking about this instead of all the extra taxes he is imposing on us. It is a pretty typical tactic from the government.

Big Ignorant Loathsome Kilkenny Oaf

BILKO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Badly need in the area?

Come on, Waterford city centre is a stones throw from where it is located.

It is the size of city square, lisduggan shopping centre and the hyper combined,

Waterford city has a pop of 50,000, Tramore has a pop even greater than ferry bank and doesn't have a large regional centre like this.

I head a local ferry bank councillor giving out that there was no employment opportunities in the area, what another joke.

I think it is time to disband all local authorities and have only 5 or 6 for the whole country and bring an end to corrupt planning practices and parochial decisions like the rate grabbing exercise that is ferry bank shopping centre.

gscully wrote: »

Big Ignorant Loathsome Kilkenny Oaf

BILKO

Swap oaf for ogre and you have nailed it,
    He can sleep in the secret cave network that Kilkenny built under the shopping centre.

witless1 wrote: »
    Ah that's an age old thing to upset the good folk in Kilkenny. A quick glance at the latest Census (from the other topic) and it seems to support those arguing that its not, which is good enough for me to wind people up with until proven otherwise :)

That's the thing - it doesn't upset them, at least not in my experience. there's nobody in Kilkenny now going "aah some Waterford blaa-head called us a town". The only Waterford related discussion seems to be related to hurling and a day out in Tramore. The only people getting wound up about are Waterford people. And at that it seems to fairly confined to this forum because in 13 years I'd say one person has mentioned it in my company in real life.

What does annoy me is the consistency of posters in this forum going on about it even on completely unrelated threads.
    Poster 1 wrote:
    I heard it was snowing earlier in Kilkenny. I wonder if we'll get some.
    Poster 2 wrote:
    Ah sure Kilkenny's not a real city, it's only a town.

It's kind of sad really especially since Waterford is barely a city itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

That's the thing - it doesn't upset them, at least not in my experience. there's nobody in Kilkenny now going "aah some Waterford blaa-head called us a town". The only Waterford related discussion seems to be related to hurling and a day out in Tramore. The only people getting wound up about are Waterford people. And at that it seems to fairly confined to this forum because in 13 years I'd say one person has mentioned it in my company in real life.

What does annoy me is the consistency of posters in this forum going on about it even on completely unrelated threads.

It's kind of sad really especially since Waterford is barely a city itself.

It is the oldest city in the country and fifth largest by population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterford

daftdave wrote: »

So what? That's not saying much by international standards.

But that's not what my posts or this thread is about. It's about the stupid remarks made by a minister and to be honest, given the ignorant attitudes displayed by some posters on occasionon this forum, you have to wonder if maybe he was right.

So what? That's not saying much by international standards.

But that's not what my posts or this thread is about. It's about the stupid remarks made by a minister and to be honest, given the ignorant attitudes displayed by some posters on occasionon this forum, you have to wonder if maybe he was right.

If we were to go on international standards the whole country is barely a city so I don't really see your point there.

Big Phil's attitude is typical of the rivilary between counties, being honest take away the hurling and there is not much to really much to be " jealous" about.
    Sure we would all like a good hurling team that wins the all Ireland but its not the end of the world and waterford society is not built around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

For a long time I have been unable to view Waterford as a city. This goes back to the days of be booking fairly big acts to come to our "city" only the night to flop due to "lack of interest".

I actually believe that the title "City" is something that Waterford can't really live up to, and that pressure of having to fill the shoes of a big city has left us somewhat bitter. Especially when it comes to our neighbours.

I would prefer it if we were a town with a town mentality. Maybe then would we do things like the Dirty Old Town programme on RTE. Maybe then we'd have a bit more pride in our streets.

I will admit, during the Tall Ships weekend, we looked absolutely awesome. We stood up, and we were counted. However, what will always let us down, is when you walk the streets during the week at 6pm.

• Advertisement

daftdave wrote: »

And Kilkenny is 6th largest. What's the significance?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And Kilkenny is 6th largest. What's the significance?

Don't think it is :o. Towns like Dundalk, Drogheda (i think) and Bray (plus a few others maybe) are a bit bigger in terms of population. However, I don't these places hold a candle to Kilkenny in terms of ambience or as a place to visit for the day.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Don't think it is :o. Towns like Dundalk, Drogheda (i think) and Bray (plus a few others maybe) are a bit bigger in terms of population. However, I don't these places hold a candle to Kilkenny in terms of ambience or as a place to visit for the day.
    City-wise, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

For a long time I have been unable to view Waterford as a city. This goes back to the days of be booking fairly big acts to come to our "city" only the night to flop due to "lack of interest".

I actually believe that the title "City" is something that Waterford can't really live up to, and that pressure of having to fill the shoes of a big city has left us somewhat bitter. Especially when it comes to our neighbours.

I would prefer it if we were a town with a town mentality. Maybe then would we do things like the Dirty Old Town programme on RTE. Maybe then we'd have a bit more pride in our streets.

I will admit, during the Tall Ships weekend, we looked absolutely awesome. We stood up, and we were counted. However, what will always let us down, is when you walk the streets during the week at 6pm.

What the number of people who attend a gig is the criteria for city designation is it.

What day were they on and what does a lack of interest in a particular group in Waterford even prove for that matter.

Also many cities around the world are having problems with their city centre because of the whole out of town shopping and suburban living thing etc. Again what does that prove about Waterford over anywhere else? Not to mention that there has been good strides made in recent years to address this.

I really hate how Waterford people twist things that happen everywhere into a sign that there is something particular wrong with Waterford. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kilkenny is not a city, how many times does this have to be said? The suffix is just a silly little appendage to make Kilkenny people feel better as they hark back to the days of the Ormondes when it was a city.
    Section 10(7) of the Local Government Act 2001 "the continued use of the description city"
    It is governed by the Local Government Acts, the most significant of which was in 2001, which established a two-tier structure of local government. The top tier of the structure consists of the Kilkenny County Council which has 26 elected councillors of which Kilkenny elects seven. The second tier of local government is the Kilkenny Borough Council, which is a "Town Council" but uses the title of "Borough Council" instead, but has no additional responsibilities

and a City can be any size - St Davids is Wales is a city for example - under 2,000 population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Lads, it dont really matter what any other place calls itself, who cares. We should be working with Kk, Wex and Tipp for betterment of the whole region not engaging in this small time, GAA, parochial nonsense. Jobs for the SE, thats what we want, I dont care who brings em. It aint happening at the moment for sure. I would expect someone like Phil Hogan not to be engaging in stupid talk like that when KK people are welcome here, just like everyone else. Then again, can you blame him for saying rubbish like that when that is the small-minded $hit he hears joe public say week in week out.

Waterford, KK, Wexford, Tipp and Carlow are too small to compete on their own, the sooner we get a region attitude like 'the west' the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Thank you for proving my point so well. Kilkenny city is just a name because it doesn't have a city council? Some crap article in a local rag? (you'd never see that in the Munster!) Who the fuck cares? Only Waterford people.

The only explanation for Waterford people's obsession with Kilkenny that I can see is that they're jealous or something.

Sully was wrong about Waterford posters trolling the Kilkenny posters, Kilkenny seems to be trolling Waterford simply by existing. :pac:

Proving your point? Really? Your point was (which you seem to have forgotten):
    Some people actually seem genuinely upset at the merest suggestion that Kilkenny is a city (it is) and lets not forget outrage a few years ago about the county boundary. There's nothing like a mention of Kilkenny to get Waterford people worked up. Of course it was a stupid thing for him to say but you can't expect anything better from an Irish politician.

There's no getting upset about it. There is a simple reference to the law of the land, and that puts an end to it. Anything beyond that is all emotion, and it generally comes from the Kilkenny side, because, naturally, the law does not tell them exactly what they want to hear.

As to the boundary, one could get legitimately upset by that, given a) the characterisation of Waterford city council as Nazis (offensive to many people on many different levels -- perhaps even Jews in other countries would get upset by that) and b) attempts by Kilkenny County Council, in retaliation for the boundary move, to characterise Ferrybank as a separate village, as opposed to a suburb is risible, if not a bit humorous.

Humorously enough, at the time, one of the biggest arguments against Kilkenny Co. Co. was its total neglect of the area due its proximity to Waterford city. This criticism struck a chord so they went ahead and created an area plan that went completely against the city plan. Ferrybank, within Waterford city, has a population of about 1,500 iirc, Ferrybank, outside Waterford city, has a population of about 5,000. There is an imaginary line, that cuts the Ard Ri in two actually, that separates the contiguous development of the area. There is no separate urban entity, and the original village is probably within the Waterford city boundary anyway. Of course, Ferrybank now warrants a 'village' centre of some description, although not on the scale that was proposed. That development was designed to attract people from Waterford city across an already congested bridge.

It's a pity to see that despite my earlier post, the exact same arguments are cropping up again about 'population' and Waterford 'optically' not looking like a city, etc. 'Cityness' is a legal issue, simple as that. Get over it. (Although population is ultimately the driver.)

Proving your point? Really? Your point was (which you seem to have forgotten):

There's no getting upset about it. There is a simple reference to the law of the land, and that puts an end to it. Anything beyond that is all emotion, and it generally comes from the Kilkenny side, because, naturally, the law does not tell them exactly what they want to hear.

As to the boundary, one could get legitimately upset by that, given a) the characterisation of Waterford city council as Nazis (offensive to many people on many different levels -- perhaps even Jews in other countries would get upset by that) and b) attempts by Kilkenny County Council, in retaliation for the boundary move, to characterise Ferrybank as a separate village, as opposed to a suburb is risible, if not a bit humorous.

Humorously enough, at the time, one of the biggest arguments against Kilkenny Co. Co. was its total neglect of the area due its proximity to Waterford city. This criticism struck a chord so they went ahead and created an area plan that went completely against the city plan. Ferrybank, within Waterford city, has a population of about 1,500 iirc, Ferrybank, outside Waterford city, has a population of about 5,000. There is an imaginary line, that cuts the Ard Ri in two actually, that separates the contiguous development of the area. There is no separate urban entity, and the original village is probably within the Waterford city boundary anyway. Of course, Ferrybank now warrants a 'village' centre of some description, although not on the scale that was proposed. That development was designed to attract people from Waterford city across an already congested bridge.

It's a pity to see that despite my earlier post, the exact same arguments are cropping up again about 'population' and Waterford 'optically' not looking like a city, etc. 'Cityness' is a legal issue, simple as that. Get over it. (Although population is ultimately the driver.)
    No, you didn't get my point. The point I was making was that people in Kilkenny honestly could not give a fuck. If Kilkenny is a city in name only, they're fine with that, big meh. However, On this forum, Kilkenny cannot be mentioned without someone getting all riled up and posting the facts and law about why it's really just a town.

That's my point. I'm not interested in legitimising Kilkenny as a city or denigrating Waterford as just being a large town. I really, really don't care. What does bother me is that this attitude is so prevalent on this forum. It's not even about Kilkenny , we could be talking about any town or county that Waterford decides to have a (one-sided) rivalry with which descends into pettiness on this forum.

You proved my point simply by going to the trouble of explaining in detail to me why Kilkenny is a town and not a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

No, you didn't get my point. The point I was making was that people in Kilkenny honestly could not give a fuck. If Kilkenny is a city in name only, they're fine with that, big meh. However, On this forum, Kilkenny cannot be mentioned without someone getting all riled up and posting the facts and law about why it's really just a town.

That's my point. I'm not interested in legitimising Kilkenny as a city or denigrating Waterford as just being a large town. I really, really don't care. What does bother me is that this attitude is so prevalent on this forum. It's not even about Kilkenny , we could be talking about any town or county that Waterford decides to have a (one-sided) rivalry with which descends into pettiness on this forum.

You proved my point simply by going to the trouble of explaining in detail to me why Kilkenny is a town and not a city.

Ok, This Kilkenny/Waterford rivalry quite honestly is the one thing in the world i couldn't give less of shíte about but just to make a few points:

It is NOT one sided just because myself and yourself don't care you honestly cant think that everyone in the county of Kilkenny doesn't have a rivalry with Waterford. I have met at least a dozen over the years who wanted to make me pull my hair out. I'll agree that it is definitely more common in Waterford and I genuinely cringe at some of the carry on.

You have said "this forum" has a problem a few times. I take exception with that to be honest, I love a bit of banter and that allot of the time can come from town/city thing or hurling or whatever but there is no way the regulars here are as bad as you are making out. We have banned allot of people over the years for crossing the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Well you obviously give a fcuk! You're on here long enough explaining yourself and your imaginary blasé atitude:D.

Advertisement