Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIG Phil's inflammatory remarks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

ziedth wrote: »
    Ok, This Kilkenny/Waterford rivalry quite honestly is the one thing in the world i couldn't give less of shíte about but just to make a few points:

It is NOT one sided just because myself and yourself don't care you honestly cant think that everyone in the county of Kilkenny doesn't have a rivalry with Waterford. I have met at least a dozen over the years who wanted to make me pull my hair out. I'll agree that it is definitely more common in Waterford and I genuinely cringe at some of the carry on.

You have said "this forum" has a problem a few times. I take exception with that to be honest, I love a bit of banter and that allot of the time can come from town/city thing or hurling or whatever but there is no way the regulars here are as bad as you are making out. We have banned allot of people over the years for crossing the line.

If it was just about hurling I wouldn't mind, that's to be expected and I did say that it was in my own experience so obviously some Kilkenny have a similar attitude.

As regards this forum, most of the remarks I have witnessed have been on this forum not in real life so I stated this. I didn't say it was a huge problem or that the regulars are all antagonistic towards Kilkenny. Again, I don't mind a bit of banter but on occasion it has been ridiculous.

Is it deserving of moderation? That's for you and the other mods to decide. If I have that much of a problem with a post, I'll report it.

Just to be clear here too: I didn't mean any offence to Waterford posters or Waterford itself. After all I'm a regular here too and Waterford is my home. :)
    Well you obviously give a fcuk! You're on here long enough explaining yourself and your imaginary blasé atitude:D.
    You misunderstand me, I don't care whether Kilkenny is a city or not and I don't care if Waterford expands across the bridge. The whole county rivalry thing can be extremely childish at times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Adyx wrote: »

You misunderstand me, I don't care whether Kilkenny is a city or not and I don't care if Waterford expands across the bridge. The whole county rivalry thing can be extremely childish at times though.

Well as the saying goes "When you're explaining,You;re losing!"

Well as the saying goes "When you're explaining,You;re losing!"
    Sadly, I think we are all losing here. :pac: But you're right, I don't seem to be able to get my point across very well so I think I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Bards wrote: »
    Badly need in the area?

Come on, Waterford city centre is a stones throw from where it is located.

It is the size of city square, lisduggan shopping centre and the hyper combined,

Waterford city has a pop of 50,000, Tramore has a pop even greater than ferry bank and doesn't have a large regional centre like this.

I head a local ferry bank councillor giving out that there was no employment opportunities in the area, what another joke.

I think it is time to disband all local authorities and have only 5 or 6 for the whole country and bring an end to corrupt planning practices and parochial decisions like the rate grabbing exercise that is ferry bank shopping centre.

Adrkeen,Tramore & Ballybeg has a Tesco, Lissduggan/Lismore park have another one so what exactly is your point?

Ferrybank housewives should trek over the bridge to City Square if they want the groceries because the city council needs footfall so they can keep charging the high rates and parking fees?

We are talking about a community shopping Centre the same as the above communities have nothing more. People living in Ferrybank don’t care who gets the rates they just want a better quality of life and be able to stroll to the shops without the hussle and bussle of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Funfair wrote: »
    Adrkeen,Tramore & Ballybeg has a Tesco, Lissduggan/Lismore park have another one so what exactly is your point?

Ferrybank housewives should trek over the bridge to City Square if they want the groceries because the city council needs footfall so they can keep charging the high rates and parking fees?

We are talking about a community shopping Centre the same as the above communities have nothing more. People living in Ferrybank don’t care who gets the rates they just want a better quality of life and be able to stroll to the shops without the hussle and bussle of the city centre.

No, a small neighbourhood area shopping centre like abbey would suffice. But KKCC undermined this neighbourhood shopping centre by allowing a massive white elephant of a regional shopping centre to be built, and the end result is that the people of Ferrybank and the surrounding neighbourhood are devoid of this facility due to the short sightness and money grabbing folly that has now backfired on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Adyx wrote: »
    No, you didn't get my point. The point I was making was that people in Kilkenny honestly could not give a fuck. If Kilkenny is a city in name only, they're fine with that, big meh. However, On this forum, Kilkenny cannot be mentioned without someone getting all riled up and posting the facts and law about why it's really just a town.

That's my point. I'm not interested in legitimising Kilkenny as a city or denigrating Waterford as just being a large town. I really, really don't care. What does bother me is that this attitude is so prevalent on this forum. It's not even about Kilkenny , we could be talking about any town or county that Waterford decides to have a (one-sided) rivalry with which descends into pettiness on this forum.

You proved my point simply by going to the trouble of explaining in detail to me why Kilkenny is a town and not a city.

You're the one getting upset buddy, you obviously care. You're the one with the bee in your bonnet, that keeps following up to factual posts as if people are having a go.

I have not 'proved your point', I was pointing out a fact that has been very slow to sink in around here, and it's more a point about city status in general than about Kilkenny. Mostly I'm talking to Waterford people about Waterford anyway, because the Kilkenny is/is not a city debates usually end up being about Waterford, and whether it's a city, and the shopping etc., etc.

It annoys me that you put a rivalry spin on posts that were 80-90% about clarification. The rivalry is real, whether you like it or not, but rivalry has nothing to do with whether Kilkenny is a city -- that's a legal issue. I suspect if someone started arguing that there were 5 provinces, including Meath, people would argue with them as well, rivalry or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Funfair wrote: »
    While I agree with the majority of your post..I read somewhere the other day that Ferrybank/ Slieverue has a population of 8000 which suggests the shopping Centre is hardly oversized and contrary to popular belief is badly needed in the area.

It even needed two of them. Pity neither could attract any tenants.

merlante wrote: »
    You're the one getting upset buddy, you obviously care. You're the one with the bee in your bonnet, that keeps following up to factual posts as if people are having a go.

I have not 'proved your point', I was pointing out a fact that has been very slow to sink in around here, and it's more a point about city status in general than about Kilkenny. Mostly I'm talking to Waterford people about Waterford anyway, because the Kilkenny is/is not a city debates usually end up being about Waterford, and whether it's a city, and the shopping etc., etc.

It annoys me that you put a rivalry spin on posts that were 80-90% about clarification. The rivalry is real, whether you like it or not, but rivalry has nothing to do with whether Kilkenny is a city -- that's a legal issue. I suspect if someone started arguing that there were 5 provinces, including Meath, people would argue with them as well, rivalry or no.
    Please don't tell me how I feel pal. Why do you feel the need to point that fact? Why is Kilkenny's status an issue at all? The is Kilkenny a city or not debates usually end up being in Waterford. That's my point!

Why is it necessary for it to be debated at all? Let alone in Waterford. Nobody else really cares.

As I posted earlier, the following is the type of thing I take issue with:
    Poster 1 wrote:
    I heard it was snowing earlier in Kilkenny. I wonder if we'll get some.
    Poster 2 wrote:
    Ah sure Kilkenny's not a real city, it's only a town.

Barely a single mention of Kilkenny on this forum and you get replies like that. You even went to the effort of "explaining" why it's only a town.

You can call it a fucking village for all I care, I'm just sick of seeing it on every thread with Kilkenny mentioned in it. If some Kilkenny troll comes on here and starts threads saying Kilkenny is a true city and Waterford is shit at hurling, please feel free to point out the errors of his ways, but when does that ever happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

When I read the title for this I thought of Dr Phil that is on telly during the days

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Nypd wrote: »
    Check out this weeks edition of the News & Star.
    Front page story of Big Phil being mobbed by protestors,
    He was quoted saying "isn't it a typical response for a Kilkenny man coming to Waterford"

What kind of small minded ****e is that for a minister to come out with.

Does he not realise that there is a constant stream of Kilkenny ppl coming over the bridge every morning.
    One has to wonder if that's attitude of a minister does that have a knock on effect and decisions at cabinet level are influenced.

Of course it does. Hogan has been anti Waterford all his political life. Just look at the amalgamation of city and county councils. His government also moved the headquarters of the VEC to Wexford. Another little deal with Howlin. Waterford will be cut out of everything bit by bit by this crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

But you know what ye have that we don't? Richie Hayes! C'mon Richie:D And Vanessa;)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Of course it does. Hogan has been anti Waterford all his political life. Just look at the amalgamation of city and county councils. His government also moved the headquarters of the VEC to Wexford. Another little deal with Howlin. Waterford will be cut out of everything bit by bit by this crowd.

Good point actually, let's wait and see does he re route the M9.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

8000 in ferrybank...i would be surprised to be honest id say you could half it,any census figures....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

doublejj wrote: »
    8000 in ferrybank...i would be surprised to be honest id say you could half it,any census figures....

It's under 6,000. See CSO small area population statistics.

But, as a very close estimate: pretty much all the population within the conurbation of Waterford, but outside the city council area, is part of the greater Ferrybank area (i.e. north of the river), so you can subtract one figure from the other: 51,519 - 46,747 = 4,772. You can add to that the population of Ferrybank within Waterford city, 909, and you have 5,681. I don't know whether that includes Slieverue or not (thinking not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

City-wise, it is.

Its not a city sure even the Borough Council of Kilkenny has less than 9,000 people, Whereas Clonmel has 17,000 in its Borough, Although if we had authorities reflecting the actual sizes of the urban areas Kilkenny would have 24,000 still a long way short of Dundalk and Drogheda though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

<snip>

Mod edit: if you've nothing decent to add to thread, do bother adding anything at all!

Advertisement