Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

Biggins wrote: »

...At the VERY least I think we should be postponing it.

Yes, it's starting to look more and more like training for the 1940 Olympics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As I've said elsewhere (blog):
    We MUST postpone the referendum.

* François Hollande in France is going to seek changes to it afterwards.

* Greece is going to effect it badly also afterwards (one way or another).

* Other political parties gaining more power in Germany are demanding changes to it.

* Geert Wilders, the head of a Dutch anti- immigrant party, brought down his government recently over concerns about EU austerity and is demanding changes. It looks like to sooth his demands the state might cave to him and his org,

* Meanwhile in Scandinavia, Finland, and more, the far right parties gaining power also, are screaming for changes to it.

* Spain is saying “ENOUGH!”

* ...And Hollande is actually looking like he will back Greece’s position of stop the austerity measures and seek to build an economy – not rob every cent out of people in invented further taxes and just cuts to services!

* Add to that mant Anti-austerity parties are emerging across Europe as gaining mopre power, thus influence and demanding the present policy to be changes - even Merkel has shown some signs that she is under pressure to do something and ease up.

…Whats FG and Labour doing?
    Rushing still stupidly in like a bull going down hill into a china shop. There is a crash coming!

Analysts expect some sort of compromise and thus change to the treaty – but that will happen AFTER we have signed up (by saying “Yes”) to something we don’t even NOW know the full details of what will happen later. We will be in a contract without knowing the later details!

What stupidity! Its political and economic suicide.

Does FG and Labour see that? Hell no – they are busy too blind collecting their massive wages, perks and pensions, hoping they will get more of the same from the EU in a rewards like good little lapdogs for fooling the public into saying “Yes” prematurely!

We MUST vote “NO” to stop this 'blank cheque' and stop the damage of the treaty changes later, if the FG and Labour fools don’t postpone.
    Anything less is stupidity and thats what FG and labour are behaving in right now!

Its been said over and over again - and shown to be true, you CANNOT just tax (and cut) your way back to prosperity.
    You have to build an economy - not ruin it in order to fix it!
    Does FG, Labour, FF and the suckers falling for their spin, see that?
    Hell no - like fools, they are blindly following them over an Irish cliff like lemmings!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

Brilliant analogy.

A year ago the current government was elected on a mandate to "renegotiate the debt", which was largely caused by the ECB driven bank guarantee. Yet instead of securing the write-down, they propose a treaty that seals that former private banking debt as our national debt.

Three quick questions for those advocating a Yes vote:

1. Why wont the ECB release correspondence received by the late Brian Lenihan the night he made the blanket bank guarantee, and which he later described as threatening?
    (For more see: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ecb-refuses-to-release-threat-letter-3017084.html )

2. Why did the ECB try to squeeze higher repayments out of us when arranging the so-called bailout than the hitherto dreaded IMF?

3. Why does the ECB tell us we must pay our supposed debts in full - yet they already agreed to a 70% write down for Greece?

If the above questions can be properly answered in a way that demonstrates we are dealing with friends rather than predators, then I am happy to vote yes.

However if the above questions are left unanswered, and the government tries to push through a pact that seals our fiscal downfall, then I must ask, to whom do the Irish government owe their allegiance?

Continued failure by the present government to exercise their mandate in renegotiating the supposed debt is one thing - but to do a complete u-turn and instead advocate sealing the supposed debt, is in my opinion a deliberate subversion of their mandate.

If this government continue pushing this ahead, and should they fail to secure a Yes in the referendum, I believe they will have demonstrated a marked inability to competently govern, and as such will lose credibility - effectively putting their legitimacy into question.

For the sake of genuine stability in the country and continued credibility as governors, I would genuinely urge them to call off this dangerous daft charade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The no side clearly no they are going to lose so now are demanding it be called off, lol. Toys out of the pram in style.

The no side clearly no they are going to lose so now are demanding it be called off, lol. Toys out of the pram in style.

Clearly going to lose?
    The vote has not taken place yet - and a lot can change minds in the next 48 hours alone with Greece.

No wonder Noonan is crying out for them to stay in! LOL
    http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/noonan-urges-greek-parties-to-form-government-and-stay-in-the-euro-450833-May2012/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

Pity you don't answer any of the three questions I set out, but instead engage in ad hominem distractions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Poster Boy wrote: »
    Three quick questions for those advocating a Yes vote:

1. Why wont the ECB release correspondence received by the late Brian Lenihan the night he made the blanket bank guarantee, and which he later described as threatening?
    (For more see: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ecb-refuses-to-release-threat-letter-3017084.html )

That wasn't the guarantee, that was the days before the bailout. It has been reported Lenihan couldn't be contacted pre the guarantee! Irish banks owed the ECB €150/160 Billion at that stage IIRC and this was supposed to be a short term measure. I think what happened was the ECB and EU had finally lost any faith in the government and the crisis just seemed to be getting worse and worse and no amount of FF pleading that we'd enough funding was good enough any more.
    2. Why did the ECB try to squeeze higher repayments out of us when arranging the so-called bailout than the hitherto dreaded IMF?

Don't think it was the ECB, it was countries in the EFSF. These countries have to borrow this money. Anyway the rate has been reduced and is cheaper than the IMF, the British loan or market rates.
    3. Why does the ECB tell us we must pay our supposed debts in full - yet they already agreed to a 70% write down for Greece?

Because Greece couldn't even fulfill the first bailout package.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

As one poster stated on Journal.ie:

‘We’re selling our souls here’ – Fine Gael mayor to vote No
    http://www.thejournal.ie/were-selling-our-souls-here-fine-gael-mayor-to-vote-no-450554-May2012/#comments
    We must also take into consideration that the draught legislation for the ESM treaty has been draw up yet Kenny & Co have made it very clear that they will NOT put it to the house until AFTER the Fiscal/austerity treaty. I have cosistently asked the Yes side on this site, where we will get the capital stock of 11 billion euros from and more urgently where will the 1.3 billion euros (amended from 1.6 billion) we must pay into this legally immune institution. I find Articals 9.3 & 10.1 of the ESM treay particularly alarming without mentioning fines of upto 200 million euros should we not manage to pay within 7 (4) days, whatever amounts they ask of us.
    They only answer I was given, was that we would only be commitied to paying the 11 billion euro capital stock should another country need bailout money. Given the political and economical climate in Europe at the moment this scenario is looking more and more likely.

Or another:
    Lads this Treaty is a complete waste of time. All this talk of investment and stability and were we will get the money in 2014 is a red herring.
    Look whats happening in Europe right now ffs!!
    If Greece cannot form a gov. by this weeks end then a disorderly default is a near certainty.
    The chances of bank runs brought on by a default and now very real. Dont be surprised if you turn on the news someday in the coming months to see troops on the streets of Athens.
    Should a default event happen it will force Greece to leave the Euro.
    Anyone now how much the ECB has lent to Greece?
    Also Spain is also on the verge. Their attempts at bank reform have been piecemeal and they are following our example of socializing bank debts. The thing is the debts are massive!! Something north of 1 trillion euros. Spain is simply too big to fail and too big too bailout.
    So all these events in the past 7 days and a game changer.
    The Treaty ref is now a pointless endeavor as events happening now will probably render it useless.
    So go ahead and argue about shinner this and blueshirt that but your wasting your time. Events elsewhere are about to render this Treaty null.

Then there is this:
    The following extract is taken from a letter to Dr Gavin Barrett from Anthony Coughlan director of the National Platform EU research and Information center
    ” WHY IRELAND HAS A VETO ON THE ARTICLE 136 TFEU AMENDMENT TO THE EU TREATIES AND THE ESM TREATY WHICH THIS AMENDMENT AUTHORISES

Those on the No-side in our Fiscal Treaty referendum who know what they are talking about are saying that the ESM Treaty and the Article 136 TFEU amendment to the EU Treaties which authorises a “Stability Mechanism” should be put to referendum in Ireland before we can either ratify the ESM Treaty or approve this Article 136 TFEU amendment in accordance with the provisions of EU law and the terms of the Irish Constitution.
    This is

(a) because a permanent commitment to the ESM as a new Eurozone Institution of which Ireland becomes a “Member”, together with its accompanying rules and its extraordinary legal and taxation immunities for its Board of Governors and personnel, entails a surrender of much of what is left of Irish State sovereignty;
    and

(b) because if the amendment to Article 136 TFEU quoted above is lawfully to permit a Stability Mechanism for the Eurozone like that proposed in the ESM Treaty – which would effectively override a number of existing EU Treaty articles – then a different method of amendment of the EU Treaties needs to be adopted than that being used in the present instance.

It is therefore the No-side people who are seeking in effect to defend EU law and the integrity of the EU Treaties by pointing this out and calling for the Article 136 TFEU authorisation and the ESM Treaty which it purports to authorise to be ratified in the only manner which is lawful under the EU Treaties and constitutional in Ireland – namely, by way of referendum of the people.”
    Makes for very interesting and insightful reading. For the full text
    http://nationalplatform.org/2012/05/07/reply-to-dr-gavin-barretts-article-on-the-fiscal-treaty-referendum-in-last-fridays-irish-times/

What does FG and Labour (and fans) say about all this?

Aaa.. sure vote "Yes" ...trust us!

Lemmings going over a cliff without first looking ahead!

Poster Boy wrote: »
    Pity you don't answer any of the three questions I set out, but instead engage in ad hominem distractions :(

I don't work for the ECB so can't answer those questions. Maybe fire them an email.

As one poster stated on Journal.ie:

‘We’re selling our souls here’ – Fine Gael mayor to vote No
    http://www.thejournal.ie/were-selling-our-souls-here-fine-gael-mayor-to-vote-no-450554-May2012/#comments

Or another:

Then there is this:

Reminds me of the no side. "where will we get a bailout if we vote no?" No-er:" No idea, but trust us, we will get one". That's very reassuring.

Whatever about the points about the treaty being pointless Coughlan always says stuff like that, he's a serial no campaigner, it's bit hypocritical to be so dismissive of the yes side and so accepting of somebody who'll always find reasons to vote no, on any European treaty for years, and has done in the past. I'm wondering why he hasn't taken a court case, he has before on things like this IIRC.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of the no side. "where will we get a bailout if we vote no?" No-er:" No idea, but trust us, we will get one". That's very reassuring.

That is a completely stupid reply. One short of actually reading and assessing the contents - NON-answering the actual contents but insulting instead in pitiable poor reply and seeing failing to see the future implications.

In other words a total wasteed reply, that in ANY case, does not forward the "Yes" position at all.

So for the crass, the lazy and the plain wanna-be conveniently blind, let me take time to spell it out it in full.

1. The treaty that we are being asked to sign-up to - IS going to be changed at a later date.
    (a) when we will have much less or no say over it then whatsoever
    (b) when France and Germany who are in their own way, looking now to see changes in it later to suit their own countries (this in particular I will get back to).

2. This great 2014 money that we are propaganda'ed with by Kenny and Gilmore - well hello... after the mess that is going to be Greece (and Spain & Portugal), ANY funds that is left over, if at all, will go to just sorting out stabilisation of the EU structure and inner banking system - never mind give out further funding to elsewhere if possible.

3. Given that France and Germany alone (in order to placate unrest politically and maybe on the streets in protest as in the latter the far right is yet again rising in strength) will change the treaty later - of which at that stage we can do bugger all - they will change the treaty to suit them.
    * And let us not forget that as we, Ireland have been no friend to them in the area of out corporate taxation rates alone, they sure as hell are NOT going to do us further any favours later - when too they know we can at that stage do bugger all about it but just signed up to accept any crap they come up with later!

4. There is the illegality issue of the running of the treaty itself!

5. As the director of the National Platform EU research and Information centre himself points out, the whole things is a mess and a farce (I surmise - feel free to disagree with my assessment of his words) and honestly he (that is one of the TOP men in Europe to talk about this) states "... a different method of amendment of the EU Treaties needs to be adopted than that being used in the present instance."

6. Frankly, FF, FG and Labour are running us over a cliff without right now knowing whats ahead.
    THIS in anyones aware mind, is a totally stupid action.
    We are now being asked to sign up for something - and we DO NOT KNOW - what the hell is in store for us as they change it later, but one thing is for sure, we will be stuck with it and will probably (as France & Germany alone get payback one way or another) make us Irish pay out even more big time.

7. There is the issue over the penalties to be put upon Ireland with this treaty as outlined below (again):
    We must also take into consideration that the draught legislation for the ESM treaty has been draw up yet Kenny & Co have made it very clear that they will NOT put it to the house until AFTER the Fiscal/austerity treaty. I have cosistently asked the Yes side on this site, where we will get the capital stock of 11 billion euros from and more urgently where will the 1.3 billion euros (amended from 1.6 billion) we must pay into this legally immune institution. I find Articals 9.3 & 10.1 of the ESM treay particularly alarming without mentioning fines of upto 200 million euros should we not manage to pay within 7 (4) days, whatever amounts they ask of us.
    They only answer I was given, was that we would only be commitied to paying the 11 billion euro capital stock should another country need bailout money. Given the political and economical climate in Europe at the moment this scenario is looking more and more likely.

...But "YES" ...lets all sign-up for something that frankly right now, we DON'T know what the hell is coming and in what changes there is going to be that we cannot say or do anything about frankly!

Lets all be that completely daft!

Now Chucky the tree,

...Instead of avoiding questions,
    ...Instead of just throwing about digs
    ...instead of the avoidance, pitiful cocky short replies

How about you answer some of the points above and at least show us that you actually know what the hell your talking about from the other side of this debate?

How about it?

K-9 wrote: »
    Whatever about the points about the treaty being pointless Coughlan always says stuff like that, he's a serial no campaigner, it's bit hypocritical to be so dismissive of the yes side and so accepting of somebody who'll always find reasons to vote no, on any European treaty for years, and has done in the past. I'm wondering why he hasn't taken a court case, he has before on things like this IIRC.

Maybe the man himself given his official title and role, cannot take a case in this instance down to conflict of duties.
    He can offer assessment but as he works directly for a EU body - it would be a legal conflict of duty in this case?

Maybe for some reason unknown to us, he just can't?

Maybe the man himself given his official title and role, cannot take a case in this instance down to conflict of duties.
    He can offer assessment but as he works directly for a EU body - it would be a legal conflict of duty in this case?

Maybe for some reason unknown to us, he just can't?

Sorry Biggins, I suspect you don't know who Anthony Coughlan is and if you think
    As the director of the National Platform EU research and Information centre himself points out

I think you are very, very much mistaken if you think that is an EU body.

Wiki on Anthony Coughlan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Coughlan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_National_Platform_for_EU_Research_and_Information_Centre

That's a shocking mistake to make Biggins, surprisingly ill-informed for you.

The man opposed us joining the EEC and every treaty since. That isn't a crime but to somehow think he is a head of an EU body! I find that astonishing Biggins.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Has anyone else received a pamphlet through the post calling for a No vote from Europe of Freedom & Democracy?

It's a lot more entertaining that the other leaflets I've received so far.

Sorry Biggins, I suspect you don't know who Anthony Coughlan is and if you think

I think you are very, very much mistaken if you think that is an EU body.

Wiki on Anthony Coughlan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Coughlan

That's a shocking mistake to make Biggins, surprisingly ill-informed for you.

Your are right - no question there, in all this complicated mess, I'm getting confused over people.

I would still advocate however that his assessment is greater than a long out of practise school teacher and a whatever the hell Gilmore was before he started out on the political side of life.

Anyone that as Coughlan has become, a half decent expert on these things, we should surely take on board their words of advice and at least caution.

However, as above I stand corrected and your right to point that out.

This whole ruddy mess is going a lot of people's heads in and I suspect the FG and Labour heads like it that way to some extent.

"Aaa.. sure they will vote "yes" just to keep us happy while smouldering in confusion"

The point about the mess at the moment as regards the treaty is nicely addressed in the following by the Times (England) on Sunday, which they mention in a lengthy article.
    I post sections.

Extremists rattle Europe’s old guard
    Across the Continent, angry and fearful voters are rejecting the mainstream

It is not only the Greek political landscape that has been reshaped of late: the wreckage of centre-right and centre-left parties litters Europe’s political map, leading to unpredictable political, economic and social consequences for years, if not decades, to come.

Once part of an irrelevant political fringe, some of the politicians now ruling the roost in Athens are not necessarily interested in preserving the system designed by their forebears in antiquity.

Golden Dawn, a neo-Nazi group, won 7% of the vote on a promise to mine the borders against illegal immigrants. It is poised to enter parliament for the first time with 21 MPs.

“Those who betrayed this country must now be afraid,” warned Nikolaos Michaloliakos, the party’s leader, flanked by shaven-headed young men in black shirts. One of his acolytes was reported to be a performer in a “black metal” Satanist rock group.

Tsipras, for his part, managed to persuade voters that it was possible to ditch the austerity programme while staying in the eurozone. He may have been encouraged in this by François Hollande, the nondescript Socialist who won power in France last weekend.
    The same complaint is heard in Greece and Spain where many of the young jobless, despairing that things will ever get better, are leaving in search of a future abroad. Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, has warned that it could be a decade before there is any economic uplift and insists the only way out is through hard work and fiscal rigour — the German religion. It has made her a hate figure for fiscal miscreants on the EU’s freewheeling Mediterranean fringe.

Hollande, by contrast, could emerge as their champion: campaigning against Nicolas Sarkozy, formerly Merkel’s chief ally in Europe, he promised an end to austerity, saying France and other countries needed government investment to produce growth rather than more cutbacks. That is what he will tell Merkel when they meet in Berlin for dinner after he has been sworn in as president on Tuesday.
    Analysts expect some sort of compromise. “The election of Hollande will help to usher in a new phase in the eurozone’s search for a political and economic framework,” said Thomas Klau in the Paris office of the European Council on Foreign Relations.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/world_news/Europe/article1037410.ece

Image: http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/584/nws1325europe267407a.jpg

Now give the above ALONE and the pressure that is turning around to stop austerity measures - even in Germany from the far right - which Merkel now has to placate - the changes THAT WILL COME, Ireland will be stuck with!
    ...And boy, you can be sure of one thing, its gonna cost us much more I assess.

Look at it another way...

What fool signs a blank cheque knowing that he/she WON'T know what will be filled in on it later?
    ...Well only a person that can afford to write such a one! And we can't afford to write that cheque and take that gamble!

Your are right - no question there, in all this complicated mess, I'm getting confused over people.

Who was it you were getting mixed up with? Because if some head of an EU body is pointing to negatives in the Treaty I wouldn't mind reading it.
    I would still advocate however that his assessment is greater than a long out of practise school teacher and a whatever the hell Gilmore was before he started out on the political side of life.

Anyone that as Coughlan has become, a half decent expert on these things, we should surely take on board their words of advice and at least caution.

However, as above I stand corrected and your right to point that out.

Tbh I wouldn't lend too much credence to a half decent expert on constitutional matters, I'd prefer real experts on complicated issues like that. Again I'm surprised he hasn't taken a case, he has before.

Now give the above ALONE and the pressure that is turning around to stop austerity measures - even in Germany from the far right - which Merkel now has to placate - the changes THAT WILL COME, Ireland will be stuck with!
    ...And boy, you can be sure of one thing, its gonna cost us much more I assess.

I'm a bit confused here, are you saying the rise in popularity of anti-austerity policies is a bad thing and will cost us much more?

That is a completely stupid reply. One short of actually reading and assessing the contents - NON-answering the actual contents but insulting instead in pitiable poor reply and seeing failing to see the future implications.

In other words a total wasteed reply, that in ANY case, does not forward the "Yes" position at all.

So for the crass, the lazy and the plain wanna-be conveniently blind, let me take time to spell it out it in full.

1. The treaty that we are being asked to sign-up to - IS going to be changed at a later date.
    (b) when France and Germany who are in their own way, looking now to see changes in it later to suit their own countries (this in particular I will get back to).

2. This great 2014 money that we are propaganda'ed with by Kenny and Gilmore - well hello... after the mess that is going to be Greece (and Spain & Portugal), ANY funds that is left over, if at all, will go to just sorting out stabilisation of the EU structure and inner banking system - never mind give out further funding to elsewhere if possible.

3. Given that France and Germany alone (in order to placate unrest politically and maybe on the streets in protest as in the latter the far right is yet again rising in strength) will change the treaty later - of which at that stage we can do bugger all - they will change the treaty to suit them.
    * And let us not forget that as we, Ireland have been no friend to them in the area of out corporate taxation rates alone, they sure as hell are NOT going to do us further any favours later - when too they know we can at that stage do bugger all about it but just signed up to accept any crap they come up with later!

5. As the director of the National Platform EU research and Information centre himself points out, the whole things is a mess and a farce (I surmise - feel free to disagree with my assessment of his words) and honestly he (that is one of the TOP men in Europe to talk about this) states "... a different method of amendment of the EU Treaties needs to be adopted than that being used in the present instance."

6. Frankly, FF, FG and Labour are running us over a cliff without right now knowing whats ahead.
    We are now being asked to sign up for something - and we DO NOT KNOW - what the hell is in store for us as they change it later, but one thing is for sure, we will be stuck with it and will probably (as France & Germany alone get payback one way or another) make us Irish pay out even more big time.

7. There is the issue over the penalties to be put upon Ireland with this treaty as outlined below (again):

...But "YES" ...lets all sign-up for something that frankly right now, we DON'T know what the hell is coming and in what changes there is going to be that we cannot say or do anything about frankly!

Lets all be that completely daft!

Now Chucky the tree,

...Instead of avoiding questions,
    ...Instead of just throwing about digs
    ...instead of the avoidance, pitiful cocky short replies

How about you answer some of the points above and at least show us that you actually know what the hell your talking about from the other side of this debate?

How about it?

You have no idea the treaty will be changed, pure guess work on your part. Also if it his changed it will just mean will be asked to vote on it again. I've no idea what points you want me to answer, nearly all of the points you raised are based on assumptions or guess work.

...I'm a bit confused here, are you saying the rise in popularity of anti-austerity policies is a bad thing and will cost us much more?

Just to be clear as regards myself, I'm saying that a lot of countries elsewhere now have to try taking back their internal voters and placate the more extremist sides that are gaining.
    In order to do this they will have to look more so to their own interests and see that any anti-austerity ideas they have, might mean that in concentrating on their own and seeing that their funds are spent there more so.
    They will have to try building their own economies from within more so than just (as we are uselessly doing) just chopping, stopping and butchering.

That said, a further division of funding might become less available just as much as whatever's left after Greece, Spain and Portugal are like to some extent or another, bailed out before 2014 - when this fancy money that FG and Labour are throwing about in propaganda, is supposed to come.

You have no idea the treaty will be changed, pure guess work on your part.

Have you been following events beyond the rag papers?
    Try reading the more weighty assessments!
    ...I've no idea what points you want me to answer, nearly all of the points you raised are based on assumptions or guess work.

So in other words your avoiding answering.
    Thanks. I just wanted that to be clear.

P.S. They are estimates of future situations that are assessments by many to be possibly coming to fruition.
    The writing is on the wall all ready.

...But you continue not to address these important issues.

Its questions like that which have people also voting "No" because the other side just have smart-arsed replies - or none at all to give besides useless, pointless trading of insults.

• Advertisement

Have you been following events beyond the rag papers?
    Try reading the more weighty assessments!

So in other words your avoiding answering.
    Thanks. I just wanted that to be clear.

P.S. They are estimates of future situations that are assessments by many to be possibly coming to fruition.
    The writing is on the wall all ready.

...But you continue not to address these important issues.

Its questions like that which have people also voting "No" because the other side just have smart-arsed replies - or none at all to give besides useless, pointless trading of insults.

We can't all copy and paste stuff from other websites. As for following rag papers, that's incredibly rich for someone who is to lazy to even bother doing basic research on the stuff he ctrl-v's. Are these assessments also from people who you actually have no idea what they do? Can't wait to read those. As I said, if you have any questions or points that aren't either guesses or assumptions I will answer them.

We can't all copy and paste stuff from other websites. As for following rag papers, that's incredibly rich for someone who is to lazy to even bother doing basic research on the stuff he ctrl-v's. Are these assessments also from people who you actually have no idea what they do? Can't wait to read those. As I said, if you have any questions or points that aren't either guesses or assumptions I will answer them.

I copy and paste my own stuff as well as words written better than I could - but express the same sentiment and concerns of I and many!
    Sorry if that offends you!

Carry on avoid and ducking! Your doing well in that and the excuses to do so.

I copy and paste my own stuff as well as words written better than I could - but express the same sentiment and concerns of I and many!
    Sorry if that offends you!

Carry on avoid and ducking! Your doing well in that and the excuses to do so.

I still have no idea what I am ducking. What I meant to say to your guess and assumptions? Randomly make my own ones up? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

What astonishes me is that the pro-bailout/austerity/treaty drones seem unable to count (though they aren't the only ones).

Our national debit is increasing by €500,000,000 per week. Yep, that's €1 billion per fortnight.

And they claim

- we won't need another bailout at the end of 2013 (Noonan 2 months ago described the notion as "ridiculous")

- we will need another bailout at the end of 2013 (Noonan now, claiming we won't get it if we vote "no")

- we can grow our way out of our debt (mathematically that would need 10% GDP growth pa for the next 17 years)

- that getting approval to spend 50% of "privatization/sell-of" of state assets will allow a massive job creation effort! :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

(If we flog Coillte and Board Gas we might get enough money to stem the rise in national debt for almost two weeks before it resumes growing at €1 billion per fortnight.

Yet we have our political system (bar SF), the mainstream media commentators (bar a few marginalized and sneered at "celebrity economists") - all the same clowns who brought about our debt disaster selling the snake oil of the "stability pact":rolleyes:

And the brainless cowardly suckers of Ireland are buying it!

I still have no idea what I am ducking. What I meant to say to your guess and assumptions? Randomly make my own ones up? :confused:

Right, so you won't be addressing the issues that are on a lot of minds, which are currently effecting the vote either way?

Cheers, got that.

Carry on ducking.

Just to be clear as regards myself, I'm saying that a lot of countries elsewhere now have to try taking back their internal voters and placate the more extremist sides that are gaining.

Extremism rises in times of economic turmoil. I've no problem with the rise of Hollande and other left wing parties as it gives a good balance to Germany and the UK.
    In order to do this they will have to look more so to their own interests and see that any anti-austerity ideas they have, might mean that in concentrating on their own and seeing that their funds are spent there more so.
    They will have to try building their own economies from within more so than just (as we are uselessly doing) just chopping, stopping and butchering.

Don't see that as a bad thing, people will still need to trade, travel etc.
    That said, a further division of funding might become less available just as much as whatever's left after Greece, Spain and Portugal are like to some extent or another, bailed out before 2014 - when this fancy money that FG and Labour are throwing about in propaganda, is supposed to come.

It might. Propaganda? What are you on about?

Right, so you won't be addressing the issues that are on a lot of minds, which are currently effecting the vote either way?

Cheers, got that.

Carry on ducking.

What issues? Do you mean auterity? You're right, we should vote no to stop austerity, because a no vote means no austerity, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Long Legged Mack Daddy

EU with or without EU,
    with or without EU

and Eu give yourself away, and EU give and EU give, and EU give yourself away

I'm wide awake! Im wide away-ay-ake! Im wide awake. I'm not sleeping

So I'll be voting no.

Every treaty is changed or altered to some extent, this one is basically giving teeth to measures in Maastricht, we don't know if what Hollande wants or what will be agreed will require a Treaty. If it is far reaching enough we'll get to vote on it, something else the No claimed wrongly on Lisbon. Apparently we shouldn't be voting on this treaty if they were right!

There's that propaganda thing again. Even most of the money in this bail out is for the day to day running of the country, never mind any future bail out.

Which is why the re-emergence of the left in France and elsewhere is a good thing.

I've seen this claim repeated so many times tbh it's like the claim that we'd never vote on an EU Treaty again.

We don't know if it's illegal, Coughlan who was anti-EEC and EC never mind the EU says so, he hasn't taken a case to prove it, despite taking cases before.

Already addressed, incorrect source and attribution.

We are being asked to vote on the treaty which people on both sides seem to be able to read and interpret, just seems an appeal to emotion than anything else.

Yep, there are issues over penalties if a country breaches the rules.

• Advertisement

Thank you K-9.
    While we might differ over some points and views, at least your willing to reply to some of my (and I guess others) individual concerns with good stable retort.

Advertisement