Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

A NO from me. Having seen Enda Kenny on Channel 4 Wed night I now know why we have no writedown of the bank debt. The man is a complete fool and I have no confidence in his government to do the right thing for Ireland. If you get the chance look at p.ie thread on kenny's golden moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

voting yes, and hoping it wins, i see it as another waste of money having to put it back to the public again til we get a yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Bambi wrote: »
    Your right mate lets scrap this whole democracy thing, that's where the problem is. A continent wide autocracy is the way to go.

Jesus fkin wept.

I am just pointing out that our democratic system is broken in this country. Time and time again we have seen highly dubious people elected to public office just because they have supported local issues rather then what's in the countries best interest. Until we tackle this head on democracy is a sham in this country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

EURATS wrote: »
    We do have solid grounds to vote NO. We don't trust kenny and co. They are a disgrace to this country. They let their voters down consistently and without remorse.

voting no based on this does not make any sense logically, i dont like him so i will vote the opposite mentality doesnt make a vote credable... you are doing nothing but damning yourself and damning the country based on spite.

good job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A definite No from me not that it will make any difference.

The polls will either be rigged for a YES outcome or else we will be asked to vote again like the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

voting no based on this does not make any sense logically, i dont like him so i will vote the opposite mentality doesnt make a vote credable... you are doing nothing but damning yourself and damning the country based on spite.

good job

Its better than the reason you gave for voting yes though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I am just pointing out that our democratic system is broken in this country. Time and time again we have seen highly dubious people elected to public office just because they have supported local issues rather then what's in the countries best interest. Until we tackle this head on democracy is a sham in this country.

Your plan to fix our constitutional democracy is to break it some more?

I know that fits in nicely with the craw thumping, forelock tugging instict that seems to underpin may irish peoples pro european views but it really is not healthy for us as a nation :)

Dempsey wrote: »
    Its better than the reason you gave for voting yes though

hummm, i was jesting in that

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

We do have solid grounds to vote NO. We don't trust kenny and co. They are a disgrace to this country. They let their voters down consistently and without remorse.

good job

I have said a lot more than that in the past. Do I have to repeat everything I say in every post?

Are u a troll or a mod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

hummm, i was jesting in that

Enda is also a jester. Get rid of this bunch of muppets and then we will vote for a more fairer European fiscal Treaty. There is plenty of time. Have you looked at the video of Enda's performance today outside Pearse Street Station? The world is laughing at us.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So does anyone have any predictions for the outcome? I'm voting no, and think that the Yes side will take it with 56%

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Look at the adds from Fine Gael at the bottom of this thread, they have a Barclays logo on it, im sure there is some copyright issues there, time to email barclays.

Actually they're by the British eurosceptic Guido Fawkes - and/or possibly Libertas (some of them link to Libertas rather than Fine Gael), although Libertas' John McGuirk has denied that.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Enda is also a jester. Get rid of this bunch of muppets and then we will vote for a more fairer European fiscal Treaty. There is plenty of time. Have you looked at the video of Enda's performance today outside Pearse Street Station? The world is laughing at us.:mad:

Any link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I'll be voting no. It just seems like a further erosion of democracy to me.

I think the yes side will take it by a small margin unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Il be voting no, i also think its a disgrace that its on a Thursday a lot of people in class just cant get home to vote living outside of Dublin. Feckin shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I have said a lot more than that in the past. Do I have to repeat everything I say in every post?

Mod

No........but!
    Are u a troll or a mod?

If you have a problem with a post, report it!

Try not to take the thread off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

The polls will either be rigged for a YES outcome

I am voting NO but this is what I think will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This is one of the most important issues with the Euro (& other fiat currencies) is that they are totally dependent on (infinite) growth!
    Without continual growth, the debts created as a function of the system, can never be repaid as the interest payments have to be raised by additional growth.

Global economic activity has reached the physical limits that the planet will allow, what we have seen over the past few years has been growth in some "emerging economies" being balanced by a similar decline in OECD countries.

It really doesen't matter which way you vote, this trend will continue, but, what does matter is whether you vote to accept a larger share of the burden of paying for the downside.

There's a point where developing countries grow hugely and eventually more or less catch up with the more developed countries, Ireland a good example. Eventually we become consumers, problem is we can't afford to manufacture in Ireland anymore. Then we blame China, Poland or whoever for stealing our jobs, but sure we did that 30 years ago.

We were lucky as the first under developed European country to gain admittance to the EEC. Others just copied us, we got clever and thought tax rates would gain an advantage, others copped that, our hope now is being the tax haven of the EU.

All the while wages rose to be a consumerist society and Poland, Slovakia etc. now pick up the manufacturing jobs. The exception is Germany who had little wage growth in the 00's and are still in the top 5 exporters worldwide. They got that through austerity, hence why we don't get it.

Anyway, I think Don Draper in Mad Men gets it, Advertising, "Advertising is based on one thing, happiness. And you know what happiness is? Happiness is the smell of a new car. It's freedom from fear. It's a billboard on the side of the road that screams reassurance that whatever you are doing is okay. You are okay."

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I hope the result turns out like this poll.

My first impression was to simply vote no because the government were pushing for yes. The more I heard and read about it, the more I was committed to voting no. Both sides seem to have more negatives than positives but I can see far more negatives for voting yes, than I can for voting no.

Saying that, I expect a yes vote to win. If not, we'll likely be told we did something wrong and have to do it again until yes wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

K-9 wrote: »
    All the while wages rose to be a consumerist society and Poland, Slovakia etc. now pick up the manufacturing jobs. The exception is Germany who had little wage growth in the 00's and are still in the top 5 exporters worldwide. They got that through austerity, hence why we don't get it.
    Germans are paid more on average than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Why are folk on here constantly saying they expect the yes vote to win by a tiny margin?

In any TV/radio poll I've seen or listened to, the no vote has had a land slide victory over the yes, the same trend has been shown on this poll on boards, and I've rarely met Anyone whose admitted that they'll vote yes.

Let's pray the Irish public have finally grown a pair of balls and stop being pushed around by the 'bigger kids' in Europe! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Germans are paid more on average than us.

Hardly surprising if true.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    Why are folk on here constantly saying they expect the yes vote to win by a tiny margin?

In any TV/radio poll I've seen or listened to, the no vote has had a land slide victory over the yes, the same trend has been shown on this poll on boards, and I've rarely met Anyone whose admitted that they'll vote yes.
    Didn't you see the results of the various RedC and other professional polls?

Are u a troll or a mod?

I am neither on this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

dvpower wrote: »
    Didn't you see the results of the various RedC and other professional polls?

RedC wow. This again is teenagers filling in forms and scampering off before the rain turns up or the pretty girls go away. It's bolloxollogy of the highest caliber.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A big No from me and all my family

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreenLady

squod wrote: »
    RedC wow. This again is teenagers filling in forms and scampering off before the rain turns up or the pretty girls go away. It's bolloxollogy of the highest caliber.

I'm always fascinated by how little most people bother to find out about how polls work before they sound off about them. The major companies are using phone polls - land line and mobile - dialling random numbers and checking sex and age of the person who picks up before they ask any questions to make sure all segments of the population are covered. If you look at recent election results against the professional opinion polls you'll see they got it pretty close to bang on.

Funnily enough "me and my mates think" or even "people who sound off on Boards.ie" is not the same as "everyone in Ireland thinks".

That said I suspect this could be one of the occasions when people are lying to the pollsters - it has happened before, most notably in the UK when no one leaving the polling stations would admit to the exit poll that they'd voted for Margaret Thatcher and the Labour Party started to celebrate prematurely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

GreenLady wrote: »

Funnily enough "me and my mates think" or even "people who sound off on Boards.ie" is not the same as "everyone in Ireland thinks".

It's not a case of me not knowing, thank you. It's a case of you ''believing''.
    If you honestly take these polls as gospel then I can't help you. Set a poll up for yourself on whether people believe these polls!

Advertisement