Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

EURATS wrote: »
    Hopefully some of the first cuts being to the number of politicians in the Dáil, and the ones that are left having their wages cut dramatically to a level that they deserve.
    Didn't FG propose that last week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i think its irresponsible to vote no,as where will the money for atms and all that come from,remember greece and the fact they had nothing,thats what could happen to us,no money people in the street desperate..
    we wont have access to low interest money..

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

humanji wrote: »
    Hopefully some of the first cuts being to the number of politicians in the Dáil, and the ones that are left having their wages cut dramatically to a level that they deserve.

They may have. Would promise anything at this stage. Promised it before last general election, then only took mickey mouse cuts. Kenny on over €200k...a joke.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    What you said was

If you are unable or unwilling to understand the consequences then you simply shouldn't vote.

My point is that the main argument of the Yes side is that rejecting the Fiscal Treaty will exclude us from ESM funds.

That is one consequence that we know of for sure. But there are other consequences from accepting or rejecting this treaty also.

When we voted in favour of joining then euro did any commentators onthe Yes or No side understand that a consequence would be that the interests rates would be at too low a level for the Irish economy and would create a property bubble and a spectacular crash?

People do grasp the consequences of their vote, but on both sides they do so in a very limited way.

The proponents of a yes vote have been expert in ignoring and avaoiding the consequences of a yes vote that will mean further large scale cuts and tax rises to meet our commitments under the treaty, exacerbated by reduced growth levels in Ireland and the wider eurozone, due to the austerity policies bloody mindedly pursued by European politicians who have for 4 years done nothing right.

But dont take my word for it. Nobel Laureate Paul Krugman believes this too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jhlsz/Newsnight_30_05_2012/

See, you're quoting what I said, but not reading it. If you don't know what any consequences are, then what are you voting for? Nobody knows all the consequences because nobody is psychic. But there are quite clear consequences that all sides can agree on. Then there are the possible rammifications of each vote.

So if you don't know what any of these are, then you're doing yourself and your country no favours by randomly deciding to vote.

i think its irresponsible to vote no,as where will the money for atms and all that come from,remember greece and the fact they had nothing,thats what could happen to us,no money people in the street desperate..
    we wont have access to low interest money..

Don't be so sure that in the event of a YES vote, you end up with the result that you describe above!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

This makes the most sense to me, cant cut your way out of a recession.

Bank debt is not my debt or the peoples debt!

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2012/05/31/the-fiscal-treaty-will-only-make-things-worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

preddy wrote: »

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2012/05/31/the-fiscal-treaty-will-only-make-things-worse
    David McWilliams was at the time of the guarantee one of the stongest proponents of making bank debt the peoples debt.

preddy wrote: »

Was it not pointed out before that he was one of the guys advocating the bank bailout in the first place? Or was that someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

dvpower wrote: »
    David McWilliams was at the time of the guarantee one of the stongest proponents of making bank debt the peoples debt.

At that time who didn't, the rest of europe's people are taking a stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Was it not pointed out before that he was one of the guys advocating the bank bailout in the first place? Or was that someone else?

He supported a partial bailout or something which had limits...which is what he suggested to Lenihan the infamous night he came to his door looking for advice or thereafter over the phone I can't remember, he never suggested the bank guarantee Lenihan gave which was to give banks a blank cheque and there you go lads and we'll guarantee yer unsecured bonds forever hereafter too. Something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I think that's wrong approach.
    I could really care less what they're earning if they were doing a good job.
    If they were capable of planning a strategy to increase jobs across a range of sectors spread throughout the country. The problem is that they are doing little except waiting and hoping for a global recovery to drag us along.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Most online 'exit' polls have the no side leading atm. I know that online polls rarely paint a true picture of how people are voting though.

politicalworld.org - 80.46%
    thepropertypin.com - 65%
    politics.ie - 60.78%

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

He supported a partial bailout or something which had limits...which is what he suggested to Lenihan the infamous night he came to his door looking for advice or thereafter over the phone I can't remember, he never suggested the bank guarantee Lenihan gave which was to give banks a blank cheque and there you go lads and we'll guarantee yer unsecured bonds forever hereafter too. Something along those lines.

Sigh. No, he didn't. He advocated a full guarantee of everybody bar shareholders, and he welcomed the guarantee the following day as a 'masterstroke'.

He wasn't responsible for implementing the guarantee - obviously, that credit rests with the two men who made the decision - but he certainly advocated exactly the guarantee that was put in place.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It's interesting to see how it turns out.
    It seems the official polls were giving yes a clear lead. However I don't remember seeing an online poll showing anything but a NO victory. Maybe that just reflects the sites I visit.

Personally I think Enda not going into a public debate has weakened their case. People have percieved it as weakness or perhaps that he's hiding something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

They may have. Would promise anything at this stage. Promised it before last general election, then only took mickey mouse cuts. Kenny on over €200k...a joke.

Yea I agree that's not very much considering the pressure of such a high powered position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

dvpower wrote: »

Sh1te. What he suggested was allowing banks time to meet their creditors and agree that there's simply no money in the kitty to pay huge banking debts.

The banks were given this time, they never did that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Sigh. No, he didn't. He advocated a full guarantee of everybody bar shareholders, and he welcomed the guarantee the following day as a 'masterstroke'.

He wasn't responsible for implementing the guarantee - obviously, that credit rests with the two men who made the decision - but he certainly advocated exactly the guarantee that was put in place.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

He said he didn't, you telling me he's lying? :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Ignoring the first line, which means absolutely nothing, you've completely missed the point. If you've no concept of the consequences of either vote, then why are you voting? What does it achieve? It's a complete guess. A guess which has Ireland's future riding on it.

I never said people should know exactly what will happen in the future. In fact, I'm pointing out that the assumption that a no vote keeps everything the same is misguided and shows a misunderstanding about the given consequences of the treaty.

What you said was

If you are unable or unwilling to understand the consequences then you simply shouldn't vote.

My point is that the main argument of the Yes side is that rejecting the Fiscal Treaty will exclude us from ESM funds.

That is one consequence that we know of for sure. But there are other consequences from accepting or rejecting this treaty also.

When we voted in favour of joining then euro did any commentators onthe Yes or No side understand that a consequence would be that the interests rates would be at too low a level for the Irish economy and would create a property bubble and a spectacular crash?

People do grasp the consequences of their vote, but on both sides they do so in a very limited way.

The proponents of a yes vote have been expert in ignoring and avaoiding the consequences of a yes vote that will mean further large scale cuts and tax rises to meet our commitments under the treaty, exacerbated by reduced growth levels in Ireland and the wider eurozone, due to the austerity policies bloody mindedly pursued by European politicians who have for 4 years done nothing right.

But dont take my word for it. Nobel Laureate Paul Krugman believes this too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jhlsz/Newsnight_30_05_2012/

We need to balance the books regardless of the treaty. Cuts and increased taxes are necessary.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=EBbgVZz7_YM

bbam wrote: »

I think that's wrong approach.
    I could really care less what they're earning if they were doing a good job.
    If they were capable of planning a strategy to increase jobs across a range of sectors spread throughout the country. The problem is that they are doing little except waiting and hoping for a global recovery to drag us along.

Their wages should reflect what we can afford, and a country that's in the sh1t can't afford it.

• Advertisement

Yea I agree that's not very much considering the pressure of such a high powered position.

Pressure...he Hasn't got the intellect to be under pressure
    He would need the frontal lobe reattached to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

He said he didn't, you telling me he's lying? :(

September 21st 2008: http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2008/09/21/state-must-act-as-a-safeguard
    The fourth option is the most attractive one, but it hasn’t been tried anywhere and would demand a leap of faith from the authorities. Remember what we said before: the two critical elements are time and confidence. The single most persuasive route to take would be for the Irish government to guarantee all deposits in Irish banks. Yesterday’s announcement of a €100,000 deposit guarantee only goes half the way.

In contrast, a full guarantee would have meant full protection for all creditors, all our own deposits and those of the foreign institutions who have lent to the Irish banks. The government could do this for a limited period - let’s say two years.

Straight away all uncertainty would disappear. The deposits, of which there are close to €300 billion, would become sovereign. Peoples’ fears would be assuaged and, if done properly, it would not cost a penny.

"Cheapest bailout in history".

And on the announcement: http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2008/10/01/lenihans-masterstroke-has-bought-us-time-to-sort-out-our-own-problems
    We are not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination. Indeed, some Irish banks have been so recklessly managed they hardly deserve to be covered by the guarantee.

Finance Minister Brian Lenihan has made a wise choice. By coming up with a unique, Irish plan — guaranteeing all deposits — instead of importing a failed solution from abroad, he has instilled confidence in the Irish financial system.

Most importantly, Irish banks are now safe. This is the single most crucial upshot of yesterday’s move.

In time, Brian Lenihan’s move yesterday will be seen as a masterstroke and a practical blueprint for the new financial architecture which will emerge from this global crisis.

His attempts to get out of this rely on his original imprecision of language - as far as I know, he claims that he only meant a deposit guarantee. Since he describes the deposit guarantee as only going "halfway", says "all creditors" and "foreign institutions who lent to our banks", as well as referring to the "deposit side of the banks' balance sheets", it's clear he meant everyone, as we can also see from this piece on the 29th September 2008: http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2008/09/28/state-guarantees-can-avert-depression
    While, in the longer term, Irish banks have bad debts/asset problems due to excessive lending to property, the problem that will drive them to the wall is short-term liquidity. This is what the state must rectify. We have seen from the US that the policymakers are making it up on the fly, hoping that by buying up toxic assets (bad debts), they can insulate the system and buy time.

Misidentifies the main issue as being liquidity - check.
    However, as we can see from the rolling bankruptcies, this is not working – or, at least, only partially so. The challenge for Ireland is to come up with our own rescue model and then export it, rather than wait for some manna to arrive from heaven to solve our banking dilemma.

Unilateral Irish move - check.
    The only option is to guarantee 100 per cent of all depositors/creditors in the Irish banking system. This guarantee does not extend to shareholders who will have to live with the losses they have suffered. However, it applies to everyone else.

Guarantee everybody bar shareholders - check.
    If the minister does this, he will not only staunch any funds outflow, he will show leadership and be seen as someone who is coming up with a solution that can be copied all over the world.

This will be so great - check.
    Ireland in the past has done things that no other country has done, to great effect. Think of the zero tax rate on exporters in the 1970s and the 12.5 per cent tax rate on multinationals now.

These were solo initiatives – we didn’t wait for them to work in other countries, and they worked perfectly well here. This proves that we can think for ourselves. Once more, and possibly even more crucially, we need to think for ourselves now. Furthermore, the state could charge the banks a 0.25 per cent fee for the guarantee, thus making about €1.5 billion per year in revenue (0.25 per cent of €500 billion).

If we take second-hand, discredited ideas from abroad, such as a toxic fund or, worse still, nationalising a bank, we will fail. If we fail, our banking system will be imperilled and a generation of Irish people will suffer. A failed banking system is equivalent to a failed state, and Ireland will become an international pariah. No politician can or should survive such a mistake.

We shouldn't use models from abroad - check.

So, two years blanket guarantee for everyone bar shareholders, not using a model from abroad, banks not to be nationalised, misidentified main issue as liquidity, cheapest bailout possible. And that's what happened.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

We need to balance the books regardless of the treaty. Cuts and increased taxes are necessary.

The simplistic argument about balancing the books, if Ireland was a business etc etc.

Have you missed the current debate that is taking place in Europe? Budget deficits can be bridged by stimulating the economy, increasing demand, employment, investment, tax revenue etc.

Simultaneous Eurozone wide austerity will not solve what is essentially a debt spiral. This has largely been caused by anemic European growth rates. Austerity will reduce growth rates still further and ensure recovery is delayed and instability continues for the foreseeable future.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

September 21st 2008: http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2008/09/21/state-must-act-as-a-safeguard

"Cheapest bailout in history".

And on the announcement: http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2008/10/01/lenihans-masterstroke-has-bought-us-time-to-sort-out-our-own-problems

His attempts to get out of this rely on his original imprecision of language - as far as I know, he claims that he only meant a deposit guarantee. Since he describes the deposit guarantee as only going "halfway", says "all creditors" and "foreign institutions who lent to our banks", as well as referring to the "deposit side of the banks' balance sheets", it's clear he meant everyone, as we can also see from this piece on the 29th September 2008: http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2008/09/28/state-guarantees-can-avert-depression

Misidentifies the main issue as being liquidity - check.

Unilateral Irish move - check.

Guarantee everybody bar shareholders - check.

This will be so great - check.

We shouldn't use models from abroad - check.

So, two years blanket guarantee for everyone bar shareholders, not using a model from abroad, banks not to be nationalised, misidentified main issue as liquidity, cheapest bailout possible. And that's what happened.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Missed the bit where he told the banks to negotaite with their creditors during the first bailout. Didn't advocate a two year programme of non-negotiation of debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I have to say I love the logic on the RTE website:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0531/fiscal-treaty-referendum.html

"During the recent spell of good weather there were worries a sunny day might reduce turnout, however it is the opposite problem in many parts of the country as rain kept polling slow"

So if the turnout is low and its sunny its the fault of the sun. If the turnout is low and its raining its the fault of the rain. No doubt if it was cloudy RTE would blame the clouds. :)

its nothing to do with disillusionment over the political situation in the country or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Can anyone prove that both Lenihan and McWilliams knew exactly what the full state of the banking system was and with particular regard to the actual state of Anglo Irish Bank?

Let's be honest here. what really should have happen was Lenihan should have posted his ideas and concerns on boards.ie and acted upon the collective wisdom that resides here.

Most online 'exit' polls have the no side leading atm. I know that online polls rarely paint a true picture of how people are voting though.

politicalworld.org - 80.46%
    thepropertypin.com - 65%
    politics.ie - 60.78%

I would have thought the Yes voters will be in later. Heavy rain could make a difference.

tin79 wrote: »
    I have to say I love the logic on the RTE website:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0531/fiscal-treaty-referendum.html

"During the recent spell of good weather there were worries a sunny day might reduce turnout, however it is the opposite problem in many parts of the country as rain kept polling slow"

So if the turnout is low and its sunny its the fault of the sun. If the turnout is low and its raining its the fault of the rain. No doubt if it was cloudy RTE would blame the clouds. :)

its nothing to do with disillusionment over the political situation in the country or anything.
    It's pretty logical. Weather like the start of the week would've kept turnout down, same if it starts pissing rain now. Sadder that the weather makes a difference but it does and it does just about everywhere in the world.

Can anyone prove that both Lenihan and McWilliams knew exactly what the full state of the banking system was and with particular regard to the actual state of Anglo Irish Bank?

Let's be honest here. what really should have happen was Lenihan should have posted his ideas and concerns on boards.ie and acted upon the collective wisdom that resides here.

I get the feeling that the banks books that were shown to the government and other interested parties had spent several hours at gas mark 5! :rolleyes:

So whatever Lenehan or McWilliams based their conclusions on was far from reality because they simply didn't get to see what was really happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

voted no :)

Advertisement