Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

EURATS wrote: »
    No it won't. It will mean our kids will be allowed eat dinosaurs
    Either way it's bad for our childrens diet!

I see. So it's all lies?
    Well, yes. At what point did you vote yes for all of that? And how can they be certain that a no vote is doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

humanji wrote: »
    No it won't. It will mean our kids will be allowed eat dinosaurs
    Either way it's bad for our childrens diet!

Well my kid loves meat so he won't be complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I see. So it's all lies?

Nothing in that picture has anything to do with the Treaty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

But that's the problem. If you don't know what you'er voting on, then you are effectively flipping a coin. Now, I think everyone can agree that the information on this treaty was a joke from all sides. But the information was out there. And even if someone doesn't get all the info, but gets enough to come to a conclusion, then that's a good reason to vote.

If they still have no idea on what they are voting on, then there simply isn't a reason for them to vote. It serves no purpose but to skew the result. And it's also pretty insulting to those who made an effort.
    Information on this treaty was out there but a joke:eek: But my point is if a person knows nothing or everything,they still have the right to vote whether you like it or not.My initial reaction was to someone saying don't vote. Not really their place to say.We're all entitled to a vote(over 18) and entitled to use as we see fit.I would see it as insulting to take that right away:)

• Advertisement

I see. So it's all lies?
    Well, yes. At what point did you vote yes for all of that? And how can they be certain that a no vote is doing it right?

There isn't any point discussing it if u feel it is ALL lies. Blatantly not a true statement.
    Nothing is certain in this life, apart from death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

#

Exact same thing can be said for most of the yes voters.

unsurprisingly, not being a massive fuckup transcends the YES/NO divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sh1te. What he suggested was allowing banks time to meet their creditors and agree that there's simply no money in the kitty to pay huge banking debts.

The banks were given this time, they never did that.

How could McWilliams have known that? Has he sooth saying powers or something?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

jluv wrote: »
    Information on this treaty was out there but a joke:eek: But my point is if a person knows nothing or everything,they still have the right to vote whether you like it or not.My initial reaction was to someone saying don't vote. Not really their place to say.We're all entitled to a vote(over 18) and entitled to use as we see fit.I would see it as insulting to take that right away:)
    But the right isn't being taken away. It's that the person with that right is abusing that right. The right comes with responsibilities. If people ignore those responsibilities then they really should forfeit that right. Since it's not our place to take away someones right, they should be urged to exercise that right with all the responsibilities it entails and if they refuse then it's not surprising that they would be urged not to abuse what has been gifted to them. Or we're left doing what we normally do and look out for only our own interests, and look where that's gotten us.

There isn't any point discussing it if u feel it is ALL lies. Blatantly not a true statement.
    Well, which bit is true? We never voted on any of those things as far as I can recall.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    While people shouldn't be told that they can not vote,
    Neither should they be told that they have a moral obligation to vote

There are a lot of people out there that have absolutely no idea what way they should vote, but are being told that if they don't vote, they are irresponsible.

Abstaining from a vote is a perfectly legitimate democratic decision if you do not have a preference one way or another.
    I totally agree with this...If you don't want to vote or could care either way.Happy days...I know people like this. And they openly admit in conversations about politics/economy that they have no interest and are along for the ride..

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

jluv wrote: »
    I totally agree with this...If you don't want to vote or could care either way.Happy days...I know people like this. And they openly admit in conversations about politics/economy that they have no interest and are along for the ride..

But I bet they still bitch and moan about the state of the country, politicians, etc.

Well, which bit is true? We never voted on any of those things as far as I can recall.

Well true, your observation is correct in so far as they didn't vote for any of those specifically. They were however promises that the FG/Lab voters sucked in and swallowed. I suppose they overlooked this while they focused on their main objective of punishing FF.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's a shame the Advertising Standards Authority or an alternative body don't police the putting up of incorrect and scaremongering election/referendums posters.

But I bet they still bitch and moan about the state of the country, politicians, etc.
    No. That was the point. They will openly admit that they can't complain as they do not take an interest or vote. Most not registered. Can't understand it myself but thats their right..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Any links for an unbiased review of the referendum? I'll I can find is scaremongering and I really haven't the time right now to look into it any further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

THE DUBLIN Docklands Development Authority should be scrapped. The Herald today reveals the extent of the spending decisions made by the authority without proper governance rules.

The revelations are contained in a new Comptroller & Auditor General Report, which found that six payments, totalling more than €300,000, were made without proper tender processes.

Contracts worth €1.2m were awarded without being advertised.

Incredibly, the DDDA did not inform the Government that it had joined in on a controversial €412m deal to buy the Irish Glass Bottle site in Ringsend, without commissioning a valuation.

The decision has left the Irish taxpayer with a bill of €360m.

In the wake of today's revelations Environment Minister Phil Hogan has no choice but to the axe this quango.

As we continue to pay the DDDA's bill, however, one can only hope lessons will be learned.

This what the fiscal compact means to our government. Absolutely nothing.

31 May 2012. Never forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Well true, your observation is correct in so far as they didn't vote for any of those specifically. They were however promises that the FG/Lab voters sucked in and swallowed. I suppose they overlooked this while they focused on their main objective of punishing FF.

"No jobs, emigration, pay cuts, hospital cuts, pay back bankers debts, higher taxes, service charges, higher fuel prices, everything that has gone wrong."

When did anyone vote Yes for any of that?
    And how does voting No in this referendum effect any of it?

This is a stupid poster aimed at the gullible.

Daniel S wrote: »
    Any links for an unbiased review of the referendum? I'll I can find is scaremongering and I really haven't the time right now to look into it any further?

Best source IMO: http://www.referendum2012.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

There was a good video posted earlier in the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78926665&postcount=920

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Voting no will mean allowing dinosaurs to eat your children.

No side counters with Dinosaurs have been extinct for 65 million years. Dont believe the scare tactics of the yes side. :D

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

That makes me want to vote yes, but why is everyone saying vote no then?

dvpower wrote: »

"No jobs, emigration, pay cuts, hospital cuts, pay back bankers debts, higher taxes, service charges, higher fuel prices, everything that has gone wrong."

When did anyone vote Yes for any of that?
    And how does voting No in this referendum effect any of it?

This is a stupid poster aimed at the gullible.

That's not on the poster. And FG have performed miserably on Behalf of the nation. Simple as

Then you don't understand the right to vote or why you have the right or possibly even how it was achieved in the first place, which is a very sorry state of affairs.
    I have the right to vote because I'm an Irish citizen. Any other Irish citizen or anyone else does not have the right to tell me not to vote.They do however have the right to disagree with how I vote.The right to be condesending I'm not sure about:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Alot of people I know who voted yes to every EU treaty I can remember are finally voting no today. Just thinking about it there, I've never voted in favour of an EU treaty.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Alot of people I know who voted yes to every EU treaty I can remember are finally voting no today. Just thinking about it there, I've never voted in favour of an EU treaty.

Thumbs up to u from me Dempsey!!!

Daniel S wrote: »
    That makes me want to vote yes, but why is everyone saying vote no then?

Some people are genuinely worried about giving more powers to Brussels. Others are just fooled by the sensationalist propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

No from all my family. I only wish I could have voted twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

A lot of elitist snobs in this thread. Good enough reason to vote no I reakon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

No from all my family. I only wish I could have voted twice.

Vote early and vote often.

Advertisement