Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

humanji wrote: »
    Then you don't understand the right to vote or why you have the right or possibly even how it was achieved in the first place, which is a very sorry state of affairs.

I studied history and politics at university for 4 years so I think I have a reasonable grasp of both the struggle for suffrage and the motives behind it.

If you have anything to add to my understanding then please share.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Joshua J wrote: »
    A lot of elitist snobs in this thread. Good enough reason to vote no I reakon.

Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I see they're denying that Spain will not need and are not in discussions about requiring a 'bailout', does that sound familiar folks?

Remember if Spain go, Italy will probably follow and that will take care of all the funds in the proposed ESM.

There will be nothing in the pot for little Ireland and we will have to stump up our circa €11 billion sooner rather than later.

Vote NO people, it's going to cost us!

Things are changing by the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Joshua J wrote: »
    A lot of elitist snobs in this thread. Good enough reason to vote no I reakon.

:D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

jluv wrote: »
    I have the right to vote because I'm an Irish citizen. Any other Irish citizen or anyone else does not have the right to tell me not to vote.

Foreigners residing here not having the right to vote. Its a racist referendum :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The amount of users misinformed yet voting anyways to 'stick it to the man' is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gurramok wrote: »
    Foreigners residing here not having the right to vote. Its a racist referendum :D:pac:
    What? Not even our German overlords? Something wrong there.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

are there a big percentage turning out to vote,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

All Yes in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

goat2 wrote: »

No. Probably as low a turnout as I've ever seen. Was at 8% at 4pm at my polling station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

goat2 wrote: »

I heard it was very slow this morning but has picked up considerably in the last hour or so with people stopping off to vote on their way home from work

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Just in from Voting 'No' along with the two other eligible voters in the House! Low Turnout is good for 'No' side but not for the country...everyone should vote regardless of Yes, No Or spoiled vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Great victory to the no campaign :D Intelligence prevails.

*I'm aware this isn't the official result let alone polling not finished yet before someone states the bleeding obvious*

But well done to the no campaign. :)

The amount of users misinformed yet voting anyways to 'stick it to the man' is shocking.

People have different motivations for the way they vote but all are equally legitimate.

For example, one woman I spoke to is voting no because she feels that if the referendum is defeated some of the blame will be placed on Enda Kenny and his refusal to debate the merits of the treaty. This in her opinion would lead to Kenny being replaced with a leader of more ability who would be prepared to negotiate in the best interests of Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i know he did get up a lot of peoples noses, when he told some protester to get a job or something like that, the man he said it to was a self employed person, who had paid plenty tax over the years and now is tight on work and money, there was no bit of humanity in the way he dealt with that person, but then again why would there be, he has a fine wage and none of our problems of barly scraping to live in these times

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Haven't heard any good reason to vote no to the actual treaty itself. Lots of people voting no for lots of misguided and just ignorant reasons. The actual treaty is very simple. Vote no to it if you don't want budget resrtictions enforced by Europe + no involvement in ESM fund. Vote Yes if you want budget deficit restrictions + involvement in ESM. I'd take honest objections here but people aren't voting no on the basis of the treaty, which is stupid and careless.

practice wrote: »
    With the likes of Phil Hogan, Alan Shatter, Eamon Gilmore telling me to vote yes I guess the only way to vote is NO

With Gerry Adams telling me to vote no....... It would make me sprint to the polling station to vote yes!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Haven't heard any good reason to vote no to the actual treaty itself. Lots of people voting no for lots of misguided and just ignorant reasons. The actual treaty is very simple. Vote no to it if you don't want budget resrtictions enforced by Europe + no involvement in ESM fund. Vote Yes if you want budget deficit restrictions + involvement in ESM. I'd take honest objections here but people aren't voting no on the basis of the treaty, which is stupid and careless.

Please be no. Please be no......

*Crosses fingers*

With Gerry Adams telling me to vote no....... It would make me sprint to the polling station to vote yes!!;)

You completely contradict your previous post with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Daniel S wrote: »
    That makes me want to vote yes, but why is everyone saying vote no then?
    Because you've read it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Will it rain on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Snugglebuggle

Quick question, I put a tick instead of an x on my vote, does that mean my vote is spoiled?

Quick question, I put a tick instead of an x on my vote, does that mean my vote is spoiled?

Depends on whether or not the person counting votes in your area is an imbecile :p

But nah, it'll most likely be counted as a legitimate vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Because you've read it wrong.
    Okay, why should I vote no?

It put restrictions on our ****ty government (who will always be ****ty because anyone intelligent enough would not run for election in Ireland) to make sure they behave. I can't see anything wrong with that. I'd support a federal state of Europe ("United States of Europe" etc) because we won't be able to compete with larger markets in the future otherwise. IMO anyway.

But back on point, why should I vote no?

I believe in this scenario that they assume you meant the alternative option. Hence if you voted yes, they'll assume you meant no and vice versa.

I believe in this scenario that they assume you meant the alternative option. Hence if you voted yes, they'll assume you meant no and vice versa.

What makes you think that? If you tick the Yes box, how in the name of jaysus could that be taken up as a No vote? :confused:

SafeSurfer wrote: »

No I don't! In the future we should aim to have limited budget deficits and I want access to ESM = Vote Yes

Gerry Adams voting no = Vote Yes

What makes you think that? If you tick the Yes box, how in the name of jaysus could that be taken up as a No vote? :confused:

He is telling porkies, tick, x or y or a decent mark in the box and it counts

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

SafeSurfer wrote: »

No I don't! In the future we should aim to have limited budget deficits and I want access to ESM = Vote Yes

Gerry Adams voting no = Vote Yes

I suppose you are anti Eamonn Gilmore as well. He was official SF in his younger days!!!!!

Advertisement