Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just heard on the wireless that a 50 yr old woman cast her vote somewhere in the south east earlier then collapsed and died of a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Daniel S wrote: »
    Okay, why should I vote no?

It put restrictions on our ****ty government (who will always be ****ty because anyone intelligent enough would not run for election in Ireland) to make sure they behave. I can't see anything wrong with that. I'd support a federal state of Europe ("United States of Europe" etc) because we won't be able to compete with larger markets in the future otherwise. IMO anyway.

But back on point, why should I vote no?
    Because we shouldn't give up our economic powers, at least our government is democratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Snugglebuggle

And I was just about to change my mind :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Because we shouldn't give up our economic powers, at least our government is democratic.
    Since when? Since when have they done what you've elected them to do?

More power to Europe the better, we don't know what/how to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It put restrictions on our ****ty government (who will always be ****ty because anyone intelligent enough would not run for election in Ireland) to make sure they behave. I can't see anything wrong with that. I'd support a federal state of Europe ("United States of Europe" etc) because we won't be able to compete with larger markets in the future otherwise. IMO anyway.

Because they need to fix the Euro zone first, then construct the treaties. This is a patch; too little and too late and frankly pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Voted Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Since when? Since when have they done what you've elected them to do?

If you're not happy with them you can vote them out. As much as we'd love to we can't vote out Merkel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

you keep tugging that forelock buddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i have voted yes on previous euro votes but this time it was a no

i dont trust what this is about , i dont like where it will lead

couple that with some of the editorials in the german news papers makes me sick - in der speigal recently they said ( not verbatim but along the lines of )
    the irish can be troublesome but they need to do what they are TOLD this time , they should know what is good for them

and then the utter ****e coming from FG/LB is enough to make me puke

it sticks in my craw to vote along with gerry and RBB , but this time i think they are right

anyway its immaterial becasue of the greek vote and spain now running to the IMF the end game is in site and our vote wont matter a toss

watch this space

I feel like I just sold my soul to the devil.

• Advertisement

dj jarvis wrote: »
    it sticks in my craw to vote along with gerry and RBB , but this time i think they are right

You better get used to voting along with them, wait until you see what the elite are prepared to do to hold on!

I feel like I just sold my soul to the devil.

if your vote was yes , i think you might be correct - had to grapple with that one also

if a no is carried then we shall see our European " family " reaction ,
    and mammy Germany is going to get the wooden spoon out , not great parenting really - people delude themselves if they think we matter a jot in europe

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You better get used to voting along with them, wait until you see what the elite are prepared to do to hold on!

thats what im hoping for , lets see the true color of Europe and the ruling elite

a trading union was good for all involved - but fiscal union with nations who could not give a crap about us does not bode well for us

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You think the Irish government is sh¡tty because no one intelligent would run? Politicians the world over are the same. The reason other countries in Europe work better than ours is the population in those countries dont respond to any potential problem with "ah, it'll be grand!"
    Politicians in the rest of the EU are just as arrogant, self serving, retarded and undemocratic as our ones. The problem is not the politicians, its us.

dj jarvis wrote: »

a trading union was good for all involved

It's the only way it will work. The Euro experiment is failed, unless we centralise power in Brussels and that ain't gonna happen.
    Pity the experiment cost us so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

You think the Irish government is sh¡tty because no one intelligent would run? Politicians the world over are the same. The reason other countries in Europe work better than ours is the population in those countries dont respond to any potential problem with "ah, it'll be grand!"
    Politicians in the rest of the EU are just as arrogant, self serving, retarded and undemocratic as our ones. The problem is not the politicians, its us.

Considering your username is suicide circus, it is no wonder that you suffer from self loathing. The thing is that not all of us do...thank god!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

Judging by the volume from the NO side here, I would expect that many would brave a hurricane to show their displeasure at the treaty, either that or they're just keyboard warriors!

64 yr. old, a keyboard warrior and seen all this before. Been promised the earth and let down and now looking for a complete change of political personell. The European leaders are looking after their own, the bankers and the bondholders. Three hour round trip, voted NO and worth every second of it. The lovely thing about today was hearing that three generations of my family voted the same way. We wont get fooled again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

EURATS wrote: »
    Considering your username is suicide circus, it is no wonder that you suffer from self loathing. The thing is that not all of us do...thank god!!
    Yours is external.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

dvpower wrote: »
    Yours is external.

Really? I trust your judgement!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

If I was back home I'd vote NO. The bullshít the yes campaign are peddling is something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Went down to vote but my name was wrong on their list so they wouldnt let me vote

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Does anyone know if there are any reputable exit polls being conducted? Don't RTE usually have one?.. can't find any mention on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Does anyone know if there are any reputable exit polls being conducted? Don't RTE usually have one?.. can't find any mention on their site.

I think they cant put any details up until after polling has closed. Open to correction tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I don't think we will see one until after the polls close. I don't think its allowed to publish an exit poll 'till then, as it could effect the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

self loathing? no. realism? yes.
    We get the government we deserve. A lot of people here seem to think that reducing our autonomy will save us from ourselves. Call me old fashioned but i prefer my political masters local, that way if they totally lose the run of themselves, we can still bust down their door and guillotine them in the street. its the only real democracy left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Just back from the polling station.

Big NO from our house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ghandee wrote: »
    Just back from the polling station.

Big NO from our house.

I voted "yes".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

dvpower wrote: »
    I don't think we will see one until after the polls close. I don't think its allowed to publish an exit poll 'till then, as it could effect the outcome.

That makes sense. Don't know what made me think otherwise!

Just came across this from the Indo
    In a break from tradition State broadcaster RTE will not be reporting an exit poll but three recent opinion polls have shown a 60/40 split in favour of the treaty among Irish voters.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fiscal-treaty/fiscal-treaty-voter-turnout-in-referendum-low-with-only-20pc-having-say-so-far-3124600.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Voted No earlier this morning...

I have asked a few mates, more "no"s than "yes"es...

One mate didn't vote, because he didn't have enough knowledge on the topic, which I found admirable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I voted Yes. It really came down to the lesser of two evils, and I can understand why people might vote No. The campaign on both sides was extremely poor, it was a case where people really needed to do their own research.

Advertisement