Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

EURATS wrote: »
    Considering your username is suicide circus, it is no wonder that you suffer from self loathing. The thing is that not all of us do...thank god!!
    self loathing? no. realism? yes.
    We get the government we deserve. A lot of people here seem to think that reducing our autonomy will save us from ourselves. Call me old fashioned but i prefer my political masters local, that way if they totally lose the run of themselves, we can still bust down their door and guillotine them in the street. its the only real democracy left.

I agree with most of what u say. I didn't vote these clowns in, and it's unfortunate that the people that did have been badly let down. I'm not surprised as was to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Voted No earlier this morning...

I have asked a few mates, more "no"s than "yes"es...

One mate didn't vote, because he didn't have enough knowledge on the topic, which I found admirable

...there seemed to be more no votes as time went on. I got the impression "yes" were losing them rather than "no" winning them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

There's an exit poll being done on twitter, not that that will be in any way an indication of the result, but according to one tweet its 68% No, 23% Yes and 9% Spoiled. Can't imagine it's too scientific though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I said you contradicted yourself because you posted this
    Haven't heard any good reason to vote no to the actual treaty itself. Lots of people voting no for lots of misguided and just ignorant reasons. The actual treaty is very simple. Vote no to it if you don't want budget resrtictions enforced by Europe + no involvement in ESM fund. Vote Yes if you want budget deficit restrictions + involvement in ESM. I'd take honest objections here but people aren't voting no on the basis of the treaty, which is stupid and careless.

immediately followed by this
    With Gerry Adams telling me to vote no....... It would make me sprint to the polling station to vote yes!!;)
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You completely contradict your previous post with this!
    No I don't! In the future we should aim to have limited budget deficits and I want access to ESM = Vote Yes

Gerry Adams voting no = Vote Yes

Don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...it has to be said that a low turnout on such an important issue is a bit of a disgrace. Embarrassing, in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I got a tad confused when no polling card came to the house. It seems that since the presidential election, the powers that be seemed fit to remove me from the voting register without my knowledge. :(

Nodin wrote: »
    ...it has to be said that a low turnout on such an important issue is a bit of a disgrace. Embarrassing, in fact.

I agree, I think the biggest problem is though, and I'm hearing this from friends and family, is that they didn't have a clue what the hell it was all about! So rather than vote Yay or Nay or even spoil their vote, the opted out altogether!

Just listening to the news and hearing stories like this...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18278848
    Two top economic officials in the European Union have warned of the possible disintegration of the eurozone.
    The Commissioner for Economic and Monetary Affairs, Olli Rehn, urged member states to reduce spending and create a more robust rescue fund to prop up countries in financial crisis.
    Speaking at a European business summit in Brussels, Mr Rehn said that without action the eurozone could fall apart.

it makes you wonder what the hell is the point in voting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

RachaelVO wrote: »
    There's an exit poll being done on twitter, not that that will be in any way an indication of the result, but according to one tweet its 68% No, 23% Yes and 9% Spoiled. Can't imagine it's too scientific though!

Ach now! That would mean Enda(if we can find him) and Gilmore-and-more-and-more would have to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Just listening to the news and hearing stories like this...

it makes you wonder what the hell is the point in voting!
    Rhen is talking about the possible disintegration of the eurozone if we don't take action. This treaty is part of that action.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Ach now! That would mean Enda(if we can find him) and Gilmore-and-more-and-more would have to go.

Another election and horse shite promises YIPPPEEEEEE

I would imagine the low turnout has the pair of them worried all the same, going to be an interesting result when its announced! I don't see those kinda margin for either side though, I reckon it's gonna be very close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Local shopkeeper round this way has been telling all the oul wans they'll lose their pension if the NO side wins.

Most effective campaigning I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Reckon people are really disillusioned with our pathetic, weak, lying politicians.

A low turnout says more about them than the electorate.

Hope it's a big fat NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I voted No for totally non-treaty related reasons. I voted No because I feel that we're headed in the direction of a wholly federal Europe and I'm against that. I'm not even a Euroskeptic really, I'm just skeptical of certain aspects of the whole thing, and some its possible future guises.

Where To wrote: »
    Local shopkeeper round this way has been telling all the oul wans they'll lose their pension if the NO side wins.

Most effective lying ****er I've ever seen.

Fixed that for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

20-25% turnout at my local booth at 5-6pm. Would like to see that go up now people are home or on way home from work.
    Does anyone know if there are any reputable exit polls being conducted? Don't RTE usually have one?.. can't find any mention on their site.

On the subject of exit polls, nearly 13 years living here, have voted in every general election and every referendum (barr one) during that time, the most recent presidential election, and never seen an exit poll survey at my local stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

dvpower wrote: »
    Rhen is talking about the possible disintegration of the eurozone if we don't take action. This treaty is part of that action.

Rehn hasn't called anything right since this started. So we're gonna be stuck with the failed Euro, they'll pull down another few countries trying to rescue the titanic failure.:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just back and also voted no. Myself and the brother were the only ones at the polling station, we were quite shocked. At the elections there was a queue and you couldn't get a parking space at around the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Back from polling station, it was nearly empty. Last time(presidential) at this time of evening there was a heavy trickle of voters, now just a few going back and forth. For something so important, shame on the stay at home voters. You bet when a decision hits their pockets, they'll be moaning but it'll be too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Voted no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Can't help but get the impression that a lot of people didn't know what way to vote (scared) and decided to sit it out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

I haven't voted yet and not sure if i will

i have no idea what the consequences are either way i vote. i know nothing about the treaty and no one seems to have any answer.

i suspect a lot of people are in the same boat...

dvpower wrote: »

Not only has the horse bolted, it's run a few races, got old and is now being lead into the knackers yard!

In other words thay should have done that before creating the Euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Are there no exit polls or is this like Lisbon1 where they didn't broadcast them either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Voted yes can't understand the reasons why people think voting no will oust this government ? Bizarre we are screwed if it's a no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

A yes from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

catthinkin wrote: »
    Voted yes can't understand the reasons why people think voting no will oust this government ? Bizarre we are screwed if it's a no

In Case you haven't noticed were currently Screwed....TBH i voted 'No' but this treaty means f-all in reality, the rules wouldn't have prevented the crash if they were in place as Ireland had a surplus up to 07, and Ireland will be handed another Bailout in '13 if its necessary regardless of yes/no Vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Why are we screwed?? Is it because inda kenny said we are screwed if it's a no!! Were you scared into voting yes? Sounds like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

It's time inda started batting for us rather than the failed banks.

I voted no to the country borrowing more money to give to these banks so that I and others like me can pay it off while inda and the rest pull in 200k a year for relaying to us what the imf want us to do.

• Advertisement

I'd wager you paid up on the household tax too.
    It's called brainwashing and it works (on some people).

Advertisement