Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Back from polling station...Voted no. Fairly quiet around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I'd wager you paid up on the household tax too.
    It's called brainwashing and it works (on some people).

It's more than a little condescending to accuse people of being brainwashed simply because they didn't vote the way you did. Seems to be a lot of it on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

It's time inda started batting for us rather than the failed banks.

I voted no to the country borrowing more money to give to these banks so that I and others like me can pay it off while inda and the rest pull in 200k a year for relaying to us what the imf want us to do.

Inda can't even man up for a public debate, never mind man up for us in europe.
    Ruffle his hair, throw him a few scraps.
    Sit enda..... beg....... good boy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I missed that, say again Benny? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I voted "no" early on my way to work.

I think this will be alot closer than predicted

I felt the Yes campaign was like a gun to my head.

• Advertisement

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    It's more than a little condescending to accuse people of being brainwashed simply because they didn't vote the way you did. Seems to be a lot of it on this thread.

It's more than a little condescending to think that the people of Ireland will roll over and accept everything that europe throws at us.
    As I've said before we are as much part of europe as anyone else and shouldn't be treated like some bold child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Voted No. Don't think it will carry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I assume we have to wait til after 10 before getting any exit polls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

It's more than a little condescending to think that the people of Ireland will roll over and accept everything that europe throws at us.

To be fair it does seem be pretty accurate actually. As long as Brussels waves a wad of Euros at us the bulk of the population seem happy enough to do as we are told. It was happening long before the current crisis and is only very gradually changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

themadchef wrote: »
    I voted "no" early on my way to work.

I think this will be alot closer than predicted

I felt the Yes campaign was like a gun to my head.

Yes, a low turnout will probably mean a lot less soft yes votes with the more polarized views being illustrated.

Reckon Yes will win by a few %, 52-55%

Although would not be surprised if the Nayers nicked it by a 1%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yes, a low turnout will probably mean a lot less soft yes votes with the more polarized views being illustrated.

I think the no's will clinch it, mainly because of the low turn out. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

It seems the major demographic of after hours is ill informed, angry and possibly insane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Voted yes, not that it's going to make f**k all difference. Both sides ran hopeless campaigns.

I think a few of the "no" votes are people who just always want to be right, if the treaty somehow f**ks us all over... "I told you so". If the treaty does alright, nobody will say anything. If it goes through and fails, there will be a fair bit of abuse for "yes" voters.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I think the no's will clinch it, mainly because of the low turn out. Could be wrong though.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'd wager you paid up on the household tax too.
    It's called brainwashing and it works (on some people).

They must of been on day release from the Mental Hospital.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

[/QUOTE]
    I think the no's will clinch it, mainly because of the low turn out. Could be wrong though.[/Quote]
    Doubt it. The 'Yes' vote is almost unbackable on Betfair at this stage. If you're confident you can get 7/1 for a no result.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

Out of curiosity, are there any public sector workers here who voted 'no'? I'm guessing they wouldn't want to vote 'no' because they don't want to rock the boat, so to speak..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Out of curiosity, are there any public sector workers here who voted 'no'? I'm guessing they wouldn't want to vote 'no' because they don't want to rock the boat, so to speak..

Well, they don't want to lose their wages and I think that's fair enough.

flyswatter wrote: »

Wages,perks and pay rises, don't you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

10.12pm the die is cast!

• Advertisement

Care to elaborate? My mam is a teacher and I can't think of any perks she gets. And to suggest they get pay rises after all they've lost?!?!?

I work in the private sector and it isn't her fault that we're in the shite we're in. Everyone is suffering, not just you.

EDIT: Just asked mam did she get any perks.... "Chalk."

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

This country will never get back on it's feet while we employ as many public sector workers as we do and at the wage levels we do.. never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Vote yes for security and more market stability, a yes vote is the only way we can gain access to the ESM if we require a second bail out.

Vote no to more cuts and hardship, a no vote is the only way to make sure austerity is not enshrined into law in this country.

Okie dokey, didn't know how to vote, I went with my toddler, hey buddy, will we vote for this box or this box? Vote for this one she said, so, we voted yes, that's democracy in action my friends.

Hey, we're pretty fucked either way. :)

Daniel S wrote: »
    Care to elaborate? My mam is a teacher and I can't think of any perks she gets. And to suggest they get pay rises after all they've lost?!?!?

I work in the private sector and it isn't her fault that we're in the shite we're in. Everyone is suffering, not just you.

Not being funny or anything, but
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=teachers%20allowances&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CF0QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnewspaper%2Fireland%2F2012%2F0329%2F1224314050685.html&ei=GN_HT7K8Fo2zhAfmqriYCw&usg=AFQjCNFF27UP9yW8-b_840UK412vGkVI_g
    Short working day and what, 4 months holidays a year.....plus the annual pay rise.
    PLEASE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

What, you mean huge pay cuts and Croke Park hours? The pay cuts far outweigh the small annual increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It seems the major demographic of after hours is ill informed, angry and possibly insane
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Please don't turn this into another PS bashing thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think you're probably close to it, RTE reported earlier that many weren't even sure going to the polling stations!

You should read journal.ie!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There are 11 categories of allowances, including the qualification allowance for educational attainment beyond a teacher’s original degree. It was the single largest allowance, totalling more than €236.6 million last year.

She has a masters degree, so she gets more. They've put that down as an "allowance" when it should just be a higher wage. She also doesn't get a pay rise as she's already at the top of the pay scale (principal). She has to drive for an hour to and from work everyday. Leaves at 8 gets home at around half 5 everyday. 4 months holidays? 3 at most. If you work in the private sector, you probably laughed at public sector workers for trading in higher wages for job security during the "boom" years. Loads of private sector people lost their jobs and then started whinging about public sector workers.

LEAVE MY MAMMY ALONE!!! :D

• Advertisement

What, you mean huge pay cuts and Croke Park hours? The pay cuts far outweigh the small annual increase.

The unsackable job, the gold plated pension.

The 'huge pay cuts'?, Never heard any PS worker questioning the huge pay rises bertie gave during the 'partnership' years.

Remember, more money for less productivity.

Advertisement