Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

K-9 wrote: »
    Reliable Tallies I'd say about 11/11.30 a.m. tomorrow.

Cheers mate, soi'll have an idea before I hit the old cinema, nice wan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cheers mate, soi'll have an idea before I hit the old cinema, nice wan:D

Unless it's too close to call, better of postponing the cinema if so! You'll get to see politicians on both sides squirming, a sight to behold!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

K-9 wrote: »
    Unless it's too close to call, better of postponing the cinema if so! You'll get to see politicians on both sides squirming, a sight to behold!

Not going to put off seeing Prometheus for politics...now that would be stupid:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

ottostreet wrote: »
    Nearly everyone I've spoken to has voted no, and the poll above is more than 2:1 in favour of 'no'. Where are the yesses coming from? Is it a generational thing?
    It's all the biddies out there who think this treaty will save their pensions and that a no vote is a vote for Sinn Féin and left wingers. I really hope the country's voted no, but I'm not at all confident. Too many biddies out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    It's all the biddies out there who think this treaty will save their pensions and that a no vote is a vote for Sinn Féin and left wingers. I really hope the country's voted no, but I'm not at all confident. Too many biddies out there!

When I went to vote earlier I was astounded by the fact that I was the only person within a two-mile radius under the age of 70, and I'm 30. I live in an urban area of about 30,000. If one thing is for sure it's that whatever the old folks have voted is what the outcome will be.

I can't decide whether they'll sheepishly follow FG which sheepishly follows what Germany/EU tells them to or whether they'll still see importance in the sovereignty that their generation won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kurz wrote: »
    When I went to vote earlier I was astounded by the fact that I was the only person within a two-mile radius under the age of 70, and I'm 30. I live in an urban area of about 30,000. If one thing is for sure it's that whatever the old folks have voted is what the outcome will be.

I can't decide whether they'll sheepishly follow FG which sheepishly follows what Germany/EU tells them to or whether they'll still see importance in the sovereignty that their generation won.

I think you've identified a problem, but completely misdiagnosed the blame!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I honestly believe the electorate in this country is completely retarded. As much as I hate all the politicians Leo Varadkar was right when he said that the people will not be using their vote to vote on the issue but to punish the government for all the other things that are going on. The country is full of complete muppets. Do away with democracy for ten years and get a hard assed dictator in here and we would soon be on the straight and narrow.

We already had one, that's why we are in the mess we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Daniel S wrote: »
    Okay, why should I vote no?

It put restrictions on our ****ty government (who will always be ****ty because anyone intelligent enough would not run for election in Ireland) to make sure they behave. I can't see anything wrong with that.
    Theres nothing whatsoever in this treaty that would have prevented the current shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

British press reporting a 60/40 Yes win.

Why is the Irish media making no prediction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sandwlch wrote: »
    British press reporting a 60/40 Yes win.

Why is the Irish media making no prediction ?

It has to be pure speculation on their part though. Ballot boxes won't be opened until 9am so theres no point in trying to predict the outcome before a vote has been counted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

According to RTE , less than 50% of anyone eligible to vote did so.
    Reporting an FG campaign of tweets and texts to get their voters to the polls.

This is the government's mouth piece after all, but I think the fact that the emphasis of the story focused on the extremely woeful turn out, if this vote doesn't go the way certain people would want it to go, foundations have been lain now for a second referendum.

Fingers crossed its a no vote though, let's hope the scare mongering and cajoling of OAP's has failed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hope the No vote prevailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

"They scared the poor OAPs into voting yes" seems to be the emerging reason for a No defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Ghandee wrote: »
    According to RTE , less than 50% of anyone eligible to vote did so.
    Reporting an FG campaign of tweets and texts to get their voters to the polls.

This is the government's mouth piece after all, but I think the fact that the emphasis of the story focused on the extremely woeful turn out, if this vote doesn't go the way certain people would want it to go, foundations have been lain now for a second referendum.

Fingers crossed its a no vote though, let's hope the scare mongering and cajoling of OAP's has failed :cool:

oh you can see it now.... " We will have to vote again as the low turn out dosent give a true representation of the wishes of the irish people"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

I voted NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Mervyn Crawford

http://wsws.org/articles/2012/jun2012/irel-j01.shtml

Sinn Fein and the ULA parties are perpetrating a mortally dangerous fraud against the Irish working class.

There are no reforms available. The world's ruling classes are setting out on the road of counter-revolution.

They intend to crush the working class and all its organisations.

SF and the ULA are props for the capitalist system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Nearly everyone I've spoken to has voted no, and the poll above is more than 2:1 in favour of 'no'. Where are the yesses coming from? Is it a generational thing?

If you go by boards polls sinn fein should easily be in power. And nobody ever voted ff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think it's worth pointing out that the last time we had turnout under 40% was when Nice I was rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

http://wsws.org/articles/2012/jun2012/irel-j01.shtml

Sinn Fein and the ULA parties are perpetrating a mortally dangerous fraud against the Irish working class.

There are no reforms available. The world's ruling classes are setting out on the road of counter-revolution.

They intend to crush the working class and all its organisations.

SF and the ULA are props for the capitalist system.

Oh, please elaborate!

Edit: just saw link

I think it's worth pointing out that the last time we had turnout under 40% was when Nice I was rejected.
    And did we have a turnout of <40% this time? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

dvpower wrote: »
    "They scared the poor OAPs into voting yes" seems to be the emerging reason for a No defeat.
    Was talking to my 85 year old granny yesterday and she told me that the reason she voted yes was because there is too much negativity in the world from people saying no to everything. She wanted to be positive so voted yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

And did we have a turnout of <40% this time? :confused:

its not that confusing how many people abroad still are on the register of electors?

mackeire wrote: »
    Was talking to my 85 year old granny yesterday and she told me that the reason she voted yes was because there is too much negativity in the world from people saying no to everything. She wanted to be positive so voted yes!

My grandmother Voted No....or at least she said she did, in fact short of people lying or not turning up to vote everyone around me voted no i haven't heard one yes vote coming from anyone.

they also did a poll on local radio as to how people were voting and No won by a mile!

hoodwinked wrote: »
    its not that confusing how many people abroad still are on the register of electors?
    I'm confused because I haven't seen any official turnout figures. Counting hasn't started yet.

I'm confused because I haven't seen any official turnout figures. Counting hasn't started yet.

i thought they'd have it from close of polls based on the lists they mark off at each centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Listening to the radio it looks like it`ll be a Yes although I haven`t heard one yes voter utter a sensible word - i`m a public servant and i want to get paid = not sensible, because "i trust the government"= not sensible, for stability (wtf???)=idiotic agggghhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

theg81der wrote: »
    Listening to the radio it looks like it`ll be a Yes although I haven`t heard one yes voter utter a sensible word - i`m a public servant and i want to get paid = not sensible, because "i trust the government"= not sensible, for stability (wtf???)=idiotic agggghhhhhhhh

I have not heard one sensible reason to vote No.
    But, there you go.

P.C. wrote: »
    I have not heard one sensible reason to vote No.
    But, there you go.

no means our constitution stays as is as it has been all along, you shouldn't change it unless you are 100% sure of the change and its consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The Boards demographic is gernerally not too reflective of the Irish one.
    Thank fvck for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

no means our constitution stays as is as it has been all along, you shouldn't change it unless you are 100% sure of the change and its consequences.

Not a good reason. Most constitutions need to be changed from time to time.
    That is their nature. They are written at a certain time, when there is a certain thinking behind them. Times change, ideas change and people change.
    Constitution can and should also change from time to time.

Not too long ago, the constitution was changed to remove the death penalty. Would you argue that that was bad because the constitution had to change?

• Advertisement

If that was a sensible standard we wouldn't have a constitution.

Advertisement