Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Megathread [Poll Reset]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The Boards demographic is gernerally not too reflective of the Irish one.
    Thank fvck for that

There's not one Christian on Boards yet 84% of the population are staunch Catholics, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've a feeling the undecided voters may swing it for the No side. Lets be realistic here, a huge number of people had no idea of what they were voting on, believe me some of the things I heard at polling stations yesterday astonished me. Therefore with no comprehension of the treaty the likely hood is they'd vote no not because of informed opinion but because of ignorance. You are naturally wary of what you don't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i thought they'd have it from close of polls based on the lists they mark off at each centre?
    There are no close of poll figures from each centre. The count hasn't started yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

P.C. wrote: »
    Not a good reason. Most constitutions need to be changed from time to time.
    That is their nature. They are written at a certain time, when there is a certain thinking behind them. Times change, ideas change and people change.
    Constitution can and should also change from time to time.

Not too long ago, the constitution was changed to remove the death penalty. Would you argue that that was bad because the constitution had to change?

no i have no problem changing the constitution and i agree it has to be done, but you shouldn't be changing it if you you don't understand what you are changing it to.

dvpower wrote: »
    There are no close of poll figures from each centre. The count hasn't started yet.

oh i know, but the list of people they have that they cross off when you vote would that not give them Pre-count numbers of estimated turnout?

I've a feeling the undecided voters may swing it for the No side. Lets be realistic here, a huge number of people had no idea of what they were voting on, believe me some of the things I heard at polling stations yesterday astonished me. Therefore with no comprehension of the treaty the likely hood is they'd vote no not because of informed opinion but because of ignorance. You are naturally wary of what you don't understand.
    Judging by the low turnout figures, it's more likely that the "undecided" stayed home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The Boards demographic is gernerally not too reflective of the Irish one.
    Thank fvck for that

I'm very disappointed to hear that, I thought I was a real person. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I'm very disappointed to hear that, I thought I was a real person. :(

not yet pinocchio not yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

0939 With 10% of boxes open in Dublin North West, the tally has Yes at 47% and No at 52%.
    Dublin Mid West: Tally Received - Yes 52% No 48%
    Dublin North: Tally Received. No 60% Yes 40%
    Waterford - Tally Received: 14.5% Boxes Open , Yes 55% No 44%

all very tight, definitely not the 60/40 to the Yes side that was predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Be very suprised if its a No tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

You've Cherry picked those.

Huge class divide showing up.

Balls bridge showing 80% yes

Dublin SE 64% yes.

At this stage it is looking like a yes vote near 55% to 60%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Looks like its a YES vote by 55% +

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Irrespective of a yes or no vote, it annoys me that so little turned out to actually vote in the first place. And no doubt those who didn't vote will be the biggest whingers when the results emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what did you hear?

one of the best ones i heard was that "you'd be as well to vote no than not vote at all"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

smash wrote: »
    Irrespective of a yes or no vote, it annoys me that so little turned out to actually vote in the first place. And no doubt those who didn't vote will be the biggest whingers when the results emerge.

most people didn't have a fúcking clue what the whole thing was about & i'd say even a good percentage of those that did vote didn't either.

so who should you really blame for this?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0601/fiscal-treaty-referendum-count-to-begin.html

Checking the early tallies the Yes side will win comfortably.
    At least we wont have to do it again.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

God I need out of this dumb a$$ country!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

More and more looking like 60% ish

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Class divide is massive judging by the tallies so far. A lot of people obviously turning their backs on Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Joe Higgins is wearing a nice tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Running an exit poll in the Politics forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056657467

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

All over. yes has it.

More and more looking like 60% ish
    It could easily swing the opposite direction. only a minority of boxes are open so far.

It could easily swing the opposite direction. only a minority of boxes are open so far.

It'd be a hell of a swing tbh!

It'd be a hell of a swing tbh!
    Well a result in one area was 55/45 in favour of yes but only 15% of boxes were open.

Here's some straws, would you like to clutch at them.

The tallies we have even up to now are a much bigger sample than any opinion poll taken to date.
    Around 60% for the Yes side, not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Can we have another referendum since the turn out was so low? Or does that only work when the government don't get what they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I voted Yes, but have to say I'm quite surprised at the result so far- didn't think it'd even be close and that it'd be a No.

To be honest, I had a feeling it'd be No, followed by the same situation as the Lisbon Treaty- "You didn't vote the way we wanted you to- now get back in there and do it properly this time!!" which would have pissed me off. That's not what democracy is about.

Well a result in one area was 55/45 in favour of yes but only 15% of boxes were open.

Even such small samples are usually indicative of the wider sentiment within constituencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Good God.
    It looks like the professional pollsters called it correctly and the various Boards polls, the online polls and the radio and TV polls were wrong.

How could this have happened?

/sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Can we have another referendum since the turn out was so low? Or does that only work when the government don't get what they want?

You asked twice so you may get another chance ;)

Advertisement