Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swearing on the radio

• 19-04-2012 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

Just a topic that arose in work today: What is the deal with allowances on swearing in songs and by DJs on the radio?

Phantom seem to be fairly liberal when leaving songs uncensored, whereas Today FM play the clean versions.(Apart from today when Fenton played the new DeLa Soul song, droppin' the F-Bomb and N-Bomb all over the shop!)

Is it seen as acceptable in songs by the BCI as sonme sort of 'artistic expression', whereas swearing by DJs seems to be fully frowned upon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Stations will justify swearing (or not swearing) on their target audience. Phantom's audience are probably be perceived as more "tolerant" than others might be. Time of day is also a factor, folks who will sing and air guitar along to Radioheads Creep aren't too happy when their 2 year is sitting in the back seat of the car also singing "...you're so F**KIN' special, ..." at the top of their voice.

I doesn't bother me that some songs have swear words in them as a lot of the time you don't even notice them. Some songs have no swear words but the lyrics are in appropriate - very sexual for example. I do have a problem with DJ's swearing as I think it just highlights a lack of ability to articulate what they are trying to say. Obviously, some do it for the kudos or to provoke a reaction.

Advertisement