Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angle grinder caught fire!

• 19-04-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

I was using my angle grinder to cut a channel in concrete path to run a cable through it. I was about 10 minutes into the job, cutting well then the angle grinder slowed down considerably. I stopped cutting and then flames came out of it. I quickly unplugged and threw on the grass.

Its not that old and this is probably the first proper job I've used it for.

Normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I'm sending B+Q an email about it. Its one of their branded tools... See what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sounds just like a cheaply made crap tool to be honest there is probably something in the book about not be be used continous for more than a few mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

definetly does'nt sound normal to me ,maybe an electrical fault or else the motor overheated?

It was plugged into a properly wired and fused outside socket, which I use all my power tools.

I wasn't using it continuosly, this is my first time using angle grinder so was taking my time and stopping to check on progress...

Scared the sh1t out of me... Very disappointing though I was 90% finished the job and then it catches on fire...

A word of warning the brand was Performance Power which I think is an own brand of B+Q. Wasn't expensive tool but I really didn't buy it thinking I would get 10 minutes use out of it :/ Oh well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

you get what ye pay for in this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What size grinder out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Seems very strange. I've had powertools burn out occasionally, sometimes prematurey, but flames never came out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

gsxr1 wrote: »
    you get what ye pay for in this world.

+1. Still should'nt go up in flames though.
    Read the handbook. DIY tools have limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I would take it back to B n Q. Doesn't matter whether it is a DIY tool or not, if you were only cutting concrete it should be up to the task. What blade were you using as a matter of interest? Diamond?

TT

It's a 600W 115M angle grinder...

I hope B&Q are decent about it. Not got a receipt unfortunately. Don't expect things to catch on fire really!

• Advertisement

TopTec wrote: »
    I would take it back to B n Q. Doesn't matter whether it is a DIY tool or not, if you were only cutting concrete it should be up to the task. What blade were you using as a matter of interest? Diamond?

TT

Was not the diamond disc like the one for cutting tiles. It was masonary type.

It was kind of like this but I got no warning it went slow and then a second later its flames coming out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p14uTlh3HVg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

You can buy diamond disc packs at Lidl's. Some have serrated edges for concrete. Some are non serrated for tiles. Masonary discs take more power to cut through so more load on the machine. It still should of coped with it though.

Let us know what B n Q say.

TT

Cutting concrete is heavy work for a small grinder like that.
    600w is very small wattage.
    I know from personal experience that its very easy to burn out 4.25" grinders cutting concrete.
    I did the same with a Draper.
    Cutting concrete is very dusty and puts a huge load on the motor.
    You really want a 5" or preferably a 9-12" grinder to properly cut concrete.
    Think about how much power a consaw puts out and why they used for cutting masonry.
    The little diamond blades they sell for the 4.25" grinders are really designed more for tiles and very light use.
    Its horses for courses, I agree the grinder shouldn't have caught fire but but thats probably due to overheating from excessive load and no thermal cutout in those cheap grinders.
    BTW I have found Maktec brand grinders very good for the price.
    They are a economy version of Makita and perform very well.

Reply from B+Q. Basically pfo reply.

Dear Me

I refer to your recent correspondence concerning problems you have experienced

I am sorry to learn that your purchase has not lived up to your expectations and apologise for any disappointment that you have been caused. To enable us to investigate the matter and offer appropriate assistance, could I please ask that you provide us with proof of purchase for the product, in the form of either a till receipt, Diy.com invoice or a credit card / bank statement that identifies B&Q as the merchant.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, after six months from date of purchase, the burden of proof for any fault or defect lies with the consumer to prove that the product was not of satisfactory quality / fit for purpose at the time of purchase and has not been subject to adverse environmental conditions or misuse that may have caused the damage / issue.

If appropriate, as a consumer you are entitled to arrange for an independent report to be carried out by a qualified tradesman to establish the cause of the damage, and with prior agreement from the retailer, claim the cost of that report back if the fault is proved.

Dependent on the age of the product, if the fault is proved, we will be in a position to offer a proportionate refund or contribution towards a replacement product, as appropriate.

Regards

Amy Hodson
    B&Q Customer Services

Have you had it long?
    To be fair its not a professional tool and is not marketed as such.
    6mths is not a long warranty but the tool is not expensive and is not marketed as a heavy duty tool.
    The description is Light grinding and cutting. By any measure cutting a trench through concrete for a cable is not light duty.
    If they give you a credit note or a refund consider yourself lucky and put it towards a quality grinder or one that is suitable for the job you had in mind.
    Cutting concrete with a 4.25" grinder is like using a mini to tow a horsebox.
    It will do it and with care may do it a few times, but ultimately it will cause the tool to fail.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Have you had it long?
    To be fair its not a professional tool and is not marketed as such.
    6mths is not a long warranty but the tool is not expensive and is not marketed as a heavy duty tool.
    The description is Light grinding and cutting. By any measure cutting a trench through concrete for a cable is not light duty.
    If they give you a credit note or a refund consider yourself lucky and put it towards a quality grinder or one that is suitable for the job you had in mind.
    Cutting concrete with a 4.25" grinder is like using a mini to tow a horsebox.
    It will do it and with care may do it a few times, but ultimately it will cause the tool to fail.

I am not arguing that the tool was probably under powered for the job, I posted because it caught on fire. I'd of expected most tools to have some sort of overheat cut out not to get to the point where the unit catches on fire in the users hands.

The grinder was a couple of years old.

I need to buy a new one now. Any recommendations? Don't want to spend a huge amount but want one that won't catch on fire this time around.

Xcellor wrote: »
    I am not arguing that the tool was probably under powered for the job, I posted because it caught on fire. I'd of expected most tools to have some sort of overheat cut out not to get to the point where the unit catches on fire in the users hands.

The grinder was a couple of years old.

I need to buy a new one now. Any recommendations? Don't want to spend a huge amount but want one that won't catch on fire this time around.
    Makita, Hitachi, DeWalt, Maktec,Bosch,Metabo are all good solid brands.
    The thing is that good quality powertools have very well shielded bearings, when you cut concrete with a cheap grinder the dust can get into the bearings and cause them to heat up very quickly, if the grinder is spinning at 10,000 rpm then a bearing can turn red hot in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

If the grinder was a couple of years old you're out of luck. I have a few Performance Power tools and they have performed fine so I suppose that it is a bit of bad luck.

It is interesting that B&Q were quoting the UK sale of goods act. and not the Irish legislation!

Advertisement