Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herberton apartments

Options
  • 19-04-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi there,

Was looking for some information, planning a weekend away in Dublin and was going to book the Herberton Apartments. Reviews where okay has anyone stayed here before, what are they like and the what's the area like. Is it easy to get to city centre from here.

I would appreciate any info you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'd never even heard of them til I just googled them.
    TBH, not the greatest of locations.. You can get more central if you look around.
    Try Stay Dublin. Most of their apartments are fairly central.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curious100

Thanks for the reply, can I just ask when you say not the greatest location do you mean too far out of city centre or is the location itself not a good area?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Herberton is well located from a transport point of view:
    -Luas just outside.
    -Bus stop not too far, though you would need to check the schedule as the #68 is not that frequent. Once you know the schedule you're ok.
    -I would argue that it's not that far from city centre.

However the area can appear a little rough. I have never lived there so I can't really argue one way or the other.

If you're not too precious about it, it could be an option. If it's for a romantic weekend, you may consider other places first.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

to clarify re. bus schedule: Text the bus stop number (1379 I believe) to this number: 53035, and it will tell you all the buses in the next hour or so. Don't use the timetable at the bus stop.

Many thanks for your reply and info, it's just a group of friends going for the weekend, and I got a good deal for herberton apartments for 6 of us. The reviews were mixed about apartment it was mainly regarding the area. Thanks again :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

The area is what could be described as rough, but I pass right by the apartment complex from the Fatima LUAS stop to the bus stop in Rialto on a fairly regular basis, & have done for the past seven or eight years. I have never had any problems, though I'm always aware that I could have, & have been asked for cigs, offered blow & witnessed a few streetfights between local residents. Having said that the same has happened me on quite a few streets in areas that are considered not as rough.

Considering you would probably just be going between the apartments & the LUAS stop, which is literally yards away I would recommend you staying there, especially if you got a good deal.

Just keep your wits about you - it's fine during the day & don't be wandering around alone after dark. Safety in numbers & all that.

Many thanks, I appreciate any info good or bad :-)

It may be serviced well by buses, luas etc.. fair enough.
    However, if it was me, (bear in mind that I hate public transport), and I was going for a city break somewhere, I wouldn't want to have to rely on public transport. And Dublin is a small enough city that once you're anywhere central, everywhere is walkable..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If I was going to Dublin on a city break I wouldn't stay there until its ridiculously cheap. In fact I wouldn't want to be outside the city centre for any city break. But that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

A couple of years ago the place was rented out by DIT. Don't know if it still is. I wouldn't fancy having a break in student accommodation. Not the nicest area, but the luas is right outside your door. I'd probably head a little bit closer to town.

Another option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yillan wrote: »
    A couple of years ago the place was rented out by DIT. Don't know if it still is. I wouldn't fancy having a break in student accommodation. Not the nicest area, but the luas is right outside your door. I'd probably head a little bit closer to town.

Another option

Augustine is right across from Oliver Bond. But in saying that Oliver Bond is not like it was years ago, perhaps another poster could shed some light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I lived there last year for 6 months, it was alright. The area is indeed rough, but if you keep your head down for the 20 second walk from the luas to the door you're grand, I never had hassle in my time there. A few of my friends got into fights but they didn't help the situation by answering...quite rudely. As a place to live, I don't recommend it, but as a place to stay for a week, if you're getting a good price then go for it!

gurramok wrote: »
    Augustine is right across from Oliver Bond. But in saying that Oliver Bond is not like it was years ago, perhaps another poster could shed some light.

I live close to those apartments, that's why I suggested them. Having lived here 3 years, I've never had a problem with the bond.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

, but if you keep your head down for the 20 second walk from the luas to the door you're grand,!

Slightly off topic but "keeping your head down" while walking through bad areas is the best way to look and be treated like a victim.

Degsy wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but "keeping your head down" while walking through bad areas is the best way to look and be treated like a victim.

How did you get so street smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cousin lives right beside there,never had any hassle at all,handy location too.

Just keep your wits about you like you would in any major city and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Degsy wrote: »
    , but if you keep your head down for the 20 second walk from the luas to the door you're grand,!

I used it more as an expression than literally keeping your head down. What I meant was be polite if spoken to, don't give a reason for anyone to start on you, and they'll leave you alone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yillan wrote: »
    I live close to those apartments, that's why I suggested them. Having lived here 3 years, I've never had a problem with the bond.

I've lived near there for almost 3 years as well, never had a problem. There's usually a few drunks in the park next to St. Audoen's but thats about it.

Thanks so much for all of your posts, I think I will go with the Herberton apartments the as we got a good rate and also there is 6 of us going so we'll all stay together. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

curious100 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all of your posts, I think I will go with the Herberton apartments the as we got a good rate and also there is 6 of us going so we'll all stay together. Thanks again.

I still think you'd be better off staying more central, but it's up to you of course.
    It's more than a short stroll to the centre from up there. You'll probably end up on the Luas, or in taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I fear what you save in accommodation you will spend on taxis.

Advertisement